This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
    I used to be the IT manager for a small family run jewelry store chain. their POSs were very tempermential.
    Sooooo....their POSs were POSs?

Quoth sms001 View Post
    I used to be almost Spock-like in my rationality and aversion to anthropomorphizing inanimate objects.
    Quoth EricKei View Post
    Indeed. Computers really hate it when you do that
    There's a reason my desktop is named "HAL 9000". (My laptop is "Dave" and my phone is "TMA-1".)
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I have the copiers scared of me at work. Everyone else problems with them they call me. I go over take the paper out of the feeder, put it back, swear at it and threaten it with a hammer and it works just peachy.

Husband just has to touch the computer and it works. My Mom and I swear at him when he does that. My Dad is in awe of him.
      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I used to have a CD Player that would only work for me.

And as often as not, a person at work can ask me to help with something and by the time I get to their desk, their computer will work properly without me even touching it.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
          Sooooo....their POSs were POSs?
          in a word YES. not that the actual physical machines were crap (mid line IBM POSs) but the POS program they ran (remember this is mostly pre stable HAHAHA Windows early 1990's) on it was crap. it used a TSR multi-tasker (DeskView ????? too long ago to remember) to keep several tasks running ie. the CC processor, the main POS program, the database program (B-tree), and other background tasks. the main program was written and compiled in some form of BASIC

if it switched programs in a certain manner, the whole machine would freeze and literally shut down the machine.
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
          X