Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is the reason why I pay my bills online now. Although, in a way, I kind of agree with folks, if your payment is postmarked a certain day, then it should be honored. The IRS does...

Comment

My Dad always idly wondered what would happen if he sent his taxes to the right IRS address, but barcoded the envelope for the Zip Code of, say, Guam to send your taxes on a little world-tour before the IRS can cash the check.

Of course, today all mail that is not pre-sorted has the full address scanned, no matter what barcode you affix to it, but this would not have been the case 10 or 15 years ago.

To get back on-topic. It makes sense for the IRS to honor the postmark; until recently, it was the ONLY way to send stuff to the IRS and have them cut you some slack if your taxes got lost or delayed. (You present a Certified Mail receipt and you are good to go.) If they are going to mandate the mailing method, they can't hold you responsible for delays. (And IRS late filing fees make the most cold-hearted bank a bunch of commie pinkos in comparison!)

But a private business will let you send in your payment however you like, often including WU, personal delivery, etc. And, of course, there are no civil or criminal penalties resting on your payment either. Therefore, they can absolutely require your payment showing up by X day.

Comment

I work in an industry where the law specifies we have to credit people's accounts the day payments are received. Sorry, SC, not breaking the law for you. Mail it earlier next month or use an electronic option.

Comment

Good luck paying your late fee! Jerks like this deserve to pay the extra money. There should be a JERK fee. "Yes, the more you act like a jackass to me, the more money gets charged to your card! You're already owing $50 in late fees just for throwing a child-like tantrum, so please call me a cu*t one more time and let's see if we can get it up to $125, huh?"

Comment

SC: Your name will be mud when I'm done with you. You are a worthless cunt. Thats why you can't get a better job than you have. Miserable cunt.
            And that's where I'd say, "Sir, I am now releasing this call due to your profanity. Goodbye."

I realize not all jobs allow that (but they really should).
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I will say this, I have demanded reversal of Late fees from utilities before. Due to the fact that I would receive the bill anywhere from 24 hours before to 48 hours after it was due. When I switched to online billing, They still billed me 24 hours before it was due. They were trying to force people into doing direct pay from bank accounts. Which I do not give out to anyone. I ended up switching to a different online provider. They kept calling for months to get me to switch back.

Comment

Quoth Chainsmith View Post
                I will say this, I have demanded reversal of Late fees from utilities before. Due to the fact that I would receive the bill anywhere from 24 hours before to 48 hours after it was due. When I switched to online billing, They still billed me 24 hours before it was due. They were trying to force people into doing direct pay from bank accounts. Which I do not give out to anyone. I ended up switching to a different online provider. They kept calling for months to get me to switch back.
                THAT is reasonable, since it was the utility company's fault. But when it's the customer's screwup, then the fee should not be automatically waived.

Comment

When I was growing up in Vancouver, the "consumer help" column of the local paper frequently dealt with complaints that one major department store would only apply a payment to someone's credit card account on the date the payment arrived at head office in Toronto - even if the person made the payment at their local store. In other words, people would get "dinged" for late fees when the payment was actually in the possession of the department store chain.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Wow! He used THAT word. What a... no I'm not going to say it and sink to his levels :P

Comment

Really

Quoth manybellsdown View Post
                      The thing is, in my experience, if he hadn't been an ass most reps would try to help out. I've had stuff show up two full weeks after I mailed it. They checked on the postmark and waived penalties.
                      The store where I used to work was even able to order parts to repair a computer *IF* the owner contacted us while still under warranty and gave us the serial number of the equipment and a CLEAR description of the problem.

Be it a long weekend or the customer was on a week-long vacation or even an entire month in one case (we had 30 days to return the bad parts) a polite customer could phone us ahead of time and still get their machine fixed for free after the warranty had run out by thinking and planning ahead.

The ones who do not think ahead came in the day or two after the warranty ends, demands a free fix that the store will not give without the manufacturer's approval and end up on the phone to their reps begging for a free repair. That worked 50% of the time depending on the nature/cost of the repair.

The ones who waited to show up a week, two weeks or even a month after the warranty expires usually have to pay labour if not parts and labour to get their machines fixed.

And they always have to pay the taxes!

Comment

This is probably why HMRC have brought out a recent rule with cheques; the debt is counted as paid when the cheque has cleared through HMRC's bank account.

The only exception is if the debtor goes into their local Post Office and pays by Bank Giro with a cheque; the cheque is made out to the Post Office, who pay HMRC within 3 working days from that moment. If the cheque bounces it's the Post Office's problem, not HMRC's.

We now only have a few die-hard technophobes who pay by cheque; most have given in and either set up direct debits (where applicable), pay using BACs or CHAPS payments, or pay online/over the phone by debit/credit card.
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
                        X