This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving-friendly meal suggestions?

So the SO and I are moving in a few weeks.

The plan is that we're getting some plastic moving boxes delivered in the next couple of days so we can gradually pack and then on Moving Day, we'll be hiring a minivan to take the boxes along with some smaller furniture, while the removalists will take the larger furniture items for us. (We are aware this will take several trips, the new place we're moving to is a roughly 20 minute drive away)

Neither the SO or I are taking any time off before the move (we are after though), so most of the packing will be taking place after work hours.

With this in mind, can anyone please recommend some meals that don't require a lot of prep? This will be for both before the move and the first couple of days after the move (we will be getting takeout on moving day and the following day).

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
    With this in mind, can anyone please recommend some meals that don't require a lot of prep? This will be for both before the move and the first couple of days after the move (we will be getting takeout on moving day and the following day).
    Here's one I do when I can't be bothered. You will need:

1) Diced chicken. You should be able to buy this in most supermarkets, and I usually season it with salt and black pepper before cooking, but YYMV.
    2) Chicken Tonight creamy mushroom sauce, or equivalent. Use 1 jar for every 2 people.
    3) Sliced onions (if you want them, and can buy them pre-sliced).
    4) Microwave frozen rice.

First soften the onions in a deep frying pan.

Add the diced chicken and fry until it starts going golden. While this is cooking, throw the rice in the microwave.

Strain off any excess oil, then pour in the sauce and simmer until the chicken is cooked through.

Mix in the microwave rice and stir thoroughly until the sauce, rice and chicken are evenly mixed. Make sure that it is piping hot all the way through; if the rice cooled off too much while the chicken was cooking, just keep it in the pan on the hob a little longer.

Serve in a bowl with a spoon, with fresh bread and/or salad on the side.

Ooh, I've just thought of another one. This one will need:

1) Pre-cooked chicken.
    2) Microwave rice.
    3) White sauce (either a packet mix or jars; again, 1 jar per 2 people).
    4) Tinned mushrooms (if you want them).
    5) Sliced onions (if you want them).
    6) Whatever seasoning you want; garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, mustard, whatever.

First shred the chicken; it doesn't have to be too fine, chunks will do, so long as none of them are too big or they won't warm through.

If you have onions and/or mushrooms, fry them off in a deep frying pan. Once they're more or less cooked, add the chicken; this would also be the time to nuke the rice and make the white sauce. If the white sauce is in a jar, then start heating it gently (don't let it boil!)

Make sure the chicken is heated through, then strain off any excess oil. Add your seasonings of choice to the white sauce and mix in thoroughly. Then pour the white sauce and the rice into the pan.

Make sure everything is evenly mixed together and is all piping hot. Serve in a bowl with a spoon with fresh bread and/or salad on the side.
    Last edited by greek_jester; 07-25-2018, 11:43 AM. Reason: Thought of another recipe
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

PB&J

Seriously, sandwiches. Also packages of diced vegies to balance out the menu.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Put pasta (or rice) in a pot. While that is cooking, cook pre-diced bacon (chicken works too, but start cooking it before you put the pasta or rice on) in a fry pan, add onion, capsicum, mushrooms, etc. When they are nearly cooked, move them to the outside edges of the pan and add 1 egg per person to the middle. Scramble the egg as it's cooking. By this time, your pasta (or rice) should be done. Strain, put in a bowl and add the contents of the fry pan to the top. Yummy + lazy + fairly healthy.

This is my super lazy 'I need to eat but I've run out of spoons' meal. It usually takes about 20 minutes from standing in front of the fridge to eating.
        A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Easy-peasy BBQ sammiches:

Pork loin or chicken + Crock pot (liner optional but highly recommended) + BBQ sauce of your choice

Dump in Crock pot the night before or first thing in the morning before work.
          Cook on lowest temp all day while you're at work
          Shred
          Nom

When I can't be bothered to really cook, we tend to eat a lot of those frozen skillet meals. Not exactly the healthiest option, but it's quick and tasty.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Stir fries are another good option, and you can usually get most of the ingredients in tins so there's minimal prep. Just get some beef or chicken, slice it up, throw it in the pan to fry off while your noodles of choice cook, add the other ingredients and a packet sauce, strain the noodles, chuck them in the pan and mix well. Maybe not as nice or healthy as doing it from scratch, but still quick, easy and tasty.
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Burritos! Easy to make ahead and nuke when you want them. I don't even have a recipe, personally I like plain rice and bean burritos. So either make the Mexican rice from scratch or use a package, I prefer refried beans but it doesn't really matter, and meat if you want. Also can add cheese, jalapenos, green chilies, etc. Roll them and wrap with plastic wrap or again, what you prefer. Or you could omit anything or add other stuff. I'm a fan, can you tell? :P

Pasta salad is another option. When I move I usually don't have the time or energy to make anything, so I live on store bought sandwiches, pasta salad, and soup.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
              X