Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kept getting told as a kid that my youngest uncle, when HE was a kid, once herded a coral snake into a jar with a stick. He then presented it to my grandparents like, "Isn't this the prettiest worm you ever saw?"
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Was your uncle Steve Irwin? Or part of that family?

Dear dog, your poor grandparents.
      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Nearly 80 years ago my uncle and grandfather were cutting firewood in the thicket behind their house. My grandfather was real big on scaring folks and my uncle was his primary target. While they were working GF was splitting some wood when uncle pushed a spotted black stick along the ground between GF feet and yelled snake. GF screamed bloody murder and jumped straight up in the air.
        We have a black snake in our main barn between him and the cat they keep the rat population to nearly nothing. The snake's name is Mr. No-Shoulders.
        A passed friend asked me to help him teach firearms safety classes. One day while we were waiting for the last few students to arrive, he looked up and noticed something long, white and papery up in the rafters of our cover. He asked what that was, I looked up and said that's a snake skin shed. He then went and stood out in the yard and wouldn't come back under the cover even with 100F temps that day. What he didn't know was that skin had been up there for several months.
        Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post

I'll stick to cats, thank you very much.

Me too . . . or rather, they seem to stick to me at times.

I recall my Mom talking about the snakes that they had out on the farm she grew up on. . . they hung out in the barn and kept the pests down. She learned not to bother them when she was small . . . and they had a group of cats that kept the mice down as well.

But with this lazy group I've got here, they wouldn't know what to do if a mouse showed up. The poor mouse might have a heart attack from the shock.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
          X