This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning anti glare glasses

Do any glasses-wearers have any tips on how to clean really dirty glasses really well? I haven't been taking good care of mine and now they are really cloudy, like when you step outside on a hot day. I tried spraying glasses cleaner on them, tried windex, vinegar, it didn't work.
    Mine have a special anti glare coating, so the Dr. said, and I think it's wearing off. Night driving is almost impossible, with people's lights bouncing off everywhere.
    I lost my prescription ages ago, so I'll have to go to the eye dr. to get a new one, and I TOTALLY HATE going there, he blows air and shines lights into my eyes, and my eyes are super sensitive. Seriously, I'd rather go to a dentist and get 4 root canals. Like the other day a speck of dust went into them and they started tearing up so much that I was blind and in pain.
    Any tips?
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

I have witnessed the same issues myself. Standard glass cleaning supplies leave my glasses streaked. A lens cleaning clothed worked for a while. I am not sure if it was something that I got on the lens or on the cloth, but it does not work as well now.

The eye glass store recommended a certain cleaning kit. Of course, it is not cheap.

In the US, glasses prescriptions are only good for a year.

The eye docs hate these things. They say that reducing the light to your eyes at night is bad. I have a pair and I love them for driving in the rain at night. Night Drivers from Cocoons.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

First off, you need to stop skipping optician's appointments. They do more than give you a prescription; mine discovered my intracranial hypertension:

Intracranial Hypertension

which was destroying my vision, memory and balance, as well as giving me a 4-year long headache with flash migraines if I was exposed to too much light (for instance, I spent quite a while wearing baseball caps inside to cut out the glare of overhead lights).

When I was in hospital for my brain op (I was lucky enough to qualify for a new procedure, opening up the vein with a stent rather than cutting through my skull to install a shunt), the lady being booked in at the same time as me was there to have a tumour removed. This was also discovered by her optician.

Quite apart from that, your optician can also pick up signs of:

- Diabetes
      - High Blood Pressure
      - Stroke
      - Sickle Cell Disease
      - Thyroid Disorders
      - Arthritis
      - Multiple Sclerosis

Is it really worth putting your health at risk to avoid a few minutes of discomfort? If your optician is giving you the eye puff test for glaucoma there must be someone in your family with a history of it that makes them think you are at risk. I have to go through it too, but having someone puff air into my eyes for a few seconds once a year is worth picking up signs of a disease that would do permanent damage to my optical nerve.

In answer to your coating query, yes they do eventually rub off. They are a coating, so they only last so long, particularly if they're not cared for properly. I managed to start taking mine off once by scratching at some splash marks from cooking with my fingernail rather than going upstairs to get the solution and cleaning cloth. Lesson learned!

If you can get hold of a cleaning cloth that's more like a mini shammy leather than a microfiber cloth they tend to work a bit better, if that's any help.
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Windex and other alcohols will actually damage anti-scratch coatings on glasses and cause them to fail sooner. That might be why you're having so much trouble. If so, you're gonna have to bite the bullet and replace the lenses.

I typically just use plain water and a soft paper towel to clean my glasses. There are also some lens wipes that are being sold here and there, they look like the packaged alcohol wipes but don't mix them up! :-)

Comment

I use use dish detergent and soft paper towels or tissue. You can also use microfiber cloths -- but make sure you rinse the lenses first, otherwise the cloth will pickup any grit which will then result in scratches.
          There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
            First off, you need to stop skipping optician's appointments. They do more than give you a prescription; mine discovered my intracranial hypertension:
            I'm sorry, that sounds awful. Goodness knows what they'll find in me. My family's always telling me about our family's history of eye problems, they have perfect sight though. I have bad eyes but good teeth, they have bad teeth but good eyes.
            It's kind of weird because I still have my old glasses and they work better than my newer ones, probably because they aren't clouded. I don't think that they had the anti glare coating done, but I can see better out through them than my newer ones. Gonna have to grow a pair and get new script, and I'm not gonna get the coating. I hope the Dr. isn't a dick though.
            Can't reason with the unreasonable.
            The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

The standard lens cleaning solutions are just 10% alcohol, you can make more by diluting rubbing alcohol. The microfiber cloths are good, but eventually they get clogged, and good luck cleaning them.

Comment

Working...
              X