No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I used to work next to a building that makes the Saturn V look reasonable sized... In fact, you could almost stand one up inside it--and there would have been room to stack a half-dozen or more inside it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangar...ew,_California)

It was originally built to house airships, specifically the Akron, the Macon, and the Shenendoah. These days it's just a skeleton of a building.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
      Also, there is no way to understand how big the Saturn V is until you are standing underneath it.
      I know. I worked at Cape Kennedy during the moon landing program. My office was on the 3rd floor of the Vehicle Assembly Building. Just outside one of the doors was one of the big nuts holding the Saturn V to the base.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Is no one going to restore that building?! It's so unique, even apart from its size.

Ironclad- mad jealous! Not that I'm even smart enough to do space science so I could never work for NASA.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
          Ironclad- mad jealous! Not that I'm even smart enough to do space science so I could never work for NASA.
          I didn't get to do any space science. I was a college co-op student. I spent a lot of time putting updates into manuals, doing office errands, running and maintaining the copy machine (they were not as user friendly as they are today). Just your basic go-fer.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Approximately 12 minutes (at least here in southern Ontario) and a significant portion of Canada gets to burst into a spirited chorus of "Rocky Mountain High."

The rest of Canada will have to wait an hour or three, as clocks in the remaining provinces move towards midnight ...
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
              Approximately 12 minutes (at least here in southern Ontario) and a significant portion of Canada gets to burst into a spirited chorus of "Rocky Mountain High."

The rest of Canada will have to wait an hour or three, as clocks in the remaining provinces move towards midnight ...
              ...apart from Newfoundland which moves towards 1977
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Note to self: When looking at what aerial sling entails exactly, try not to look for routines which involve the person (or people) doing routines to earworms. I now have "Cell Block Tango" stuck in my head as a result. >_<

(Studio I do lyra at is looking to expand and start teaching aerial sling. I'm super keen for it because there's not as much spinning involved. This is aerial sling)

Comment

• 4 A.M. and I are becoming well acquainted.

Can't sleep.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

• ...if you knew already that this wasn't going to work, why did you make me waste an hour plus proving it (and then when I told you it was a failure, respond with "yes, I tried this already and it didn't work")?
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• That awkward moment when you find out that a manager you thought had quit had actually been very very fired. Like, don't come back on the property fired.

Also, for a show that's super campy and humor-filled, Buffy is also really dark. It's nice. Shows now seem to go for "soul crushingly depressing without escape" but those are so dull. Give me a quip or two in with the death.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• Has anyone seen The Haunting of Hill House? Is there anything worthwhile in it for a devoted admirer of Shirley Jackson? Or small I better off sparing myself?

Comment

• Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                          Also, for a show that's super campy and humor-filled, Buffy is also really dark. It's nice. Shows now seem to go for "soul crushingly depressing without escape" but those are so dull. Give me a quip or two in with the death.
                          This. Human nature doesn't allow for unrelenting grimness, it has to try to throw a touch of humour in there somewhere. Even the poor, doomed inmates in the Nazi death-camps used to draw little sarcastic cartoons about their experiences. Human nature in general tries to lighten the load, if only for a moment. That's where dark humour comes from.
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• I wonder if there is some way to carbonate my crap...

So I can go "Plop Plop Fizz Fizz..."
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Quoth dalesys View Post
                              I wonder if there is some way to carbonate my crap...

So I can go "Plop Plop Fizz Fizz..."
                              Which reminds me...

What three games do you play on the toilet?

"Concentration", "Aggravation", and "Ker-Plunk".

Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• No Mom, the kids don't need more clothes.

They have play clothes. They have school clothes. No, they have shoes.

Look Mom, I CAN'T CLOSE THEIR DRAWERS. They don't need or want more clothes!

(my in-laws don't buy them loads of stuff but put money in accounts for their future. Guess whose gifts I prefer?)

Comment

Working...
                                X