This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
    When I was visiting Japan LOVED the eastern style toilets! No touching, and (sorry if TMI) I just find it an all around more comfortable position. Most of our group would use whichever was available, but one girl would stubbornly wait for the western style one. We had the same issue with the group shower situation in the hostel. Some whole groups would line up outside the door, and we were like... There's six showers and a giant tub, you do not get to make everyone else wait because one person is shy. She needs to shower at 2:00 AM or something.
    I confess that shower situation would bother me. I've never been comfortable being nude around other people. This does not explain why it doesn't bother me in health care situations; I think I go on "automatic" in that case and just go with it.

As for those squat-type toilets, I wouldn't be able to use those...my knees won't cooperate and I'd fall in
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      I confess that shower situation would bother me. I've never been comfortable being nude around other people.
      It wasn't my favorite thing, either. But we we all knew what it was going to be like beforehand. And for the shy person, she could have gotten up early, or waited until dinner when most of us were gone. There were options other than the busiest time. I'm sure if it were you, you'd have been polite and figured a way to get a moment alone.

And my most awkward moment was at an onsen (hot springs) with my host mom... Totally naked, and other women were wanting to hold conversations with me. They kept telling me how pretty and pale I was. I'm like, let me get into the water before you talk to me.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth xxscooterxx View Post
        You got that right! I had a lady ask me if I could go get the bathroom key and get the person using the bathroom out.
        Of course, what would have been their reaction if you'd done that, and then when the NEXT "Me Now - to hell with everyone else" customer came along, you'd got the key and kicked THEM out to accommodate the OTHER customer?

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
        And as a female, if the male bathroom is a single room style, and it is empty, I will use it if necessary.
        I've always wondered - when there are pairs of what are obviously "single-occupancy" washrooms, why bother designating them? After all, airplane washrooms aren't designated.

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
        And in the time spent, another patron got in ahead of you.
        Had a situation like that, except with parking. I get into my car, and am about to pull out when a guy in the aisle backs up, blocking me in (he's waiting for another car to pull out of its space). A couple minutes later, the other car pulls out. Aisle guy surges forward (clearing my exit), but sneaky driver whips into the space. Cue road rage - aisle guy gets out of his car to yell at sneaky driver. Of course, while he's doing this, another car comes along and takes the space I just pulled out of - which, if he hadn't flown off the handle at sneaky driver, aisle guy could have taken.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Halo_miles View Post
          We have small bathrooms where I work. In the men's room, there are two urinals and two stalls. Because of the size, we get lineups. There are other bathrooms in the facility, but those are attached to showers for paying truck drivers and paying customers., So, muffin comes up to me and starts bitching about not being able to use the washroom.

clip
          I'm surprised no one else has said it. That guy was so full of crap.

But I guess that was his problem.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

If you really need to, you can make anywhere work. This is why you find most balloonists either have a pocket full of kleenex or a roll of toilet paper squirreled away somewhere. Because there will come that one time when you're out in the middle of nowhere and you need to pee now. Happened to me during last year's Balloon Fiesta. Found a nice, private spot in amongst some dirt piles and popped a squat. You just need to remember that if you're near a popular landing area to look up first, too.
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
              You just need to remember that if you're near a popular landing area to look up first, too.
              You mean in case someone can't wait to land to do their business?

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                I've always wondered - when there are pairs of what are obviously "single-occupancy" washrooms, why bother designating them? After all, airplane washrooms aren't designated.
                Austin, TX is talking about passing a law that all single-holers be gender neutral. All existing signage would have to be removed.

Multiple-holers could still remain unisex, though.

I have no problem if a business CHOOSES to do this, but to feel the need to pass a law?? <SMH>
                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I've seen a (multiple-occupancy) washroom that had both urinals and a tampon vending machine. Not quite as crazy as it sounds, though - it was at a West Virginia rest area that had 3 washrooms. Instead of signs, they had pockets that signs could be put into. The 3 signs? "Men", "Women", "Closed for cleaning".

Let's say it starts out
                  A: men B: women C: closed

Time to clean the men's room, janitor moves the signs
                  A: closed B: women C: men

That washroom is clean, time to clean the women's room
                  A: women B: closed C: men

Repeat at next cleaning interval
                  A: women B: men C: closed
                  A: closed B: men C: women

Repeat again
                  A: men B: closed C: women
                  A: men B: women C: closed

Note that we're back where we started. Each washroom, at some point in the cycle, is the men's room, and at another point in the cycle is the women's room. Therefore, all the washrooms need both men-only and women-only features.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I've never been in any big stadiums to confirm one way or another; but I've seen shows about some stadiums that can adjust the Male to Female washroom ratio as needed. Basically they have a few rows of toilets that can be opened to the Male or Female washroom depending on the event. Big sporting event/car show/etc? More Male stalls. Big Boy Band concert? More female stalls available.

As for the single holers, I suspect that there might be local regulations/legacy laws (and just plain cultural inertia) that keeps them being labelled Male and Female. Many building codes probably say a building "Has to have a Male washroom. And has to have a Female Washroom." and doesn't let the building owner/business say that they can be Unisex.

For me, as a guy, I have gone into a female multi-person washroom once, by mistake. I really had to go, so I got off the bus at the K-Mart (back when Canada had K-Marts) and pretty much just ran in. I vaguely remember wondering why there were no urinals but just went in a stall. When I left after, I realized my mistake and scooted out of the store as fast as possible. Thankfully the place was so quiet the restrooms weren't in use anyways, so no one saw me. (Save if anyone was watching the security cameras. )

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                      Austin, TX is talking about passing a law that all single-holers be gender neutral. All existing signage would have to be removed.

Multiple-holers could still remain unisex, though.

I have no problem if a business CHOOSES to do this, but to feel the need to pass a law?? <SMH>
                      Extremely bad chat up lines #179: Excuse me,are you a single-holer or a multiple-holer
                      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Maybe they'd prefer a nice, big pee trough like at the baseball stadiums.

Comment

I've seen a young man (either late teens or early twenties) enter the ladies' room at the CNE. I thought he was the janitor until I saw his white cane and his mother leading him by the hand.

Turns out he was blind, and I'll bet his mom didn't want him going into the men's room by himself.
                          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                            Extremely bad chat up lines #179: Excuse me,are you a single-holer or a multiple-holer
                            From the self help book "How NOT To Pick Up Women"

I can understand when you have to go, you can't ignore it but really if you're in that big of a hurry, go find a tree or pee on a bush.

Dogs do this without having to be told.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                              I've seen a young man (either late teens or early twenties) enter the ladies' room at the CNE. I thought he was the janitor until I saw his white cane and his mother leading him by the hand.

Turns out he was blind, and I'll bet his mom didn't want him going into the men's room by himself.
                              That reminds me of the Levi jeans ad that features a woman going into the men's room, where she encounters a blind man.

Comment

I have to admit I thought of this thread when visiting Norwich Castle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_Castle

There are currently some problems with the public toilets. As such, only the disabled loos near the shop were open as normal; the ladies' on the ground floor was closed, the men's next to it were re-labelled as the temporary ladies', the men's was now the old Victorian loos at the back of the castle that had been in the process of being renovated, and the 1st floor loos were shut completely.

Given that the ladies' was now in the men's, they only had 2 cubicles (with loos that had to be flushed at least twice) to service us on one of the busier days in the year, and a queue leading past the 3 constant-flush urinals. Needless to say they were directing anyone who wasn't desperate to take the 3 minute walk back over the footbridge to the Castle Mall shopping centre (one of the easiest ways to get to the castle is via the external entrance of Castle Mall's food court, which has unisex multiple-stall loos which have the much more hygienic no door switchback entrance system).

Despite this, everyone was remarkably good-natured about the situation, with a lot of jokes being made about the urinals (they all had educational stencils on the back). It also made some of the mum-and-kid group stops a bit easier; the ones where only the little boy needed to go had the mum holding the kid up while the rest of us politely turned our backs. The only woman who complained about the delay was told (somewhat brusquely) by other customers to trot across the bridge if she wasn't willing to wait with the rest of us.

Personally I prefer the setup a semi-local purpose-built McD put in; one corridor with several unisex individual cubicles that hold a toilet, a sink and a hand dryer, plus one disabled loo/baby changing cubicle only accessible with a radar key (one is available at the counter for baby changing). The cubicles are long enough that a mum can take at least 3 kids in with her without too many crowding issues, which speeds up the line a bit.
                                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
                                X