This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STOP TALKING TO ME

So, I work in a pet store, which is pretty awesome when I'm working in Pet Care rather than Cashiering, at least partially because when I'm in pet care I A.) Get to take care of and handle the animals, who are usually total sweeties except this one pink toe tarantula that's a jerk, and B.) I can avoid talking to SC's more!

When it's slow, I'm usually at the podium where we keep our feeder crickets, cleaning out their cages (go five seconds without cleaning it and it'll stink to high heaven) or facing or something.

It was here that some guy - kind of heavyset, older with a very unkept beard, wearing a shirt with one of those sayings that tends to make me want to punch things, and a very odd, almost maniacal grin on his face. He made eye contact, the grin widened - and he headed straight towards me.

Bollocks.

Now, I'm a transman, but I still look mostly female, my voice is still high and I have not yet been able to change my name, so I'm mostly identified as female by everyone around me. Thus, I've had to deal with the people who think that me being civil to them is an open invitation to flirt.

It's not.

He comes up, and immediately starts asking a lot of very invasive questions: "Do you have a boyfriend, what do you do when you're not at work, do you ever hang out at the bars around here, ect." I keep my answers as curt and clipped as I can without being outright rude, but I was quickly losing patience.

Here, it might be good to note that I have a medical condition that I am going to be requiring two surgeries to treat, and until they get approved I spend most of my time very dizzy and in almost ungodly pain, sometimes getting these spasms that prevent me from being able to move at all, on some days ending up unable to move for hours because of sheer pain. The only pain medications I can get are over the counter, which are not nearly strong enough to do anything. I can't take time off work because of it, since I just can't afford to. The day that Mr. Romeo Wannabe decided to mess with me was one of my bad days, and I was already very tense and having a hard time pretending to be okay.

Not good timing for him.

I managed to get through several minutes of his questioning, before finally I interrupted another one of his lines with a "Is there something here in the store I can help you with?" He looked confused, and said no. I told him to let me know if he needed help with anything, then quickly left him standing there at the podium looking utterly confused while I went to the 'employees only' area behind the fishwall.

He seemed completely and utterly confused by the fact that I didn't want to sit there and play twenty billion questions with him. People, here's a hint: If they're at work, they generally don't want to flirt with you, especially in the case of girls. We are paid to be nice to you. Smiling at you or responding politely to you does not mean we're into you. LEAVE US ALONE.
    The customer is always WRONG.

Uggggg I can't stand the guys that want to flirt or make The Stare at me! And the weird thing is that it's usually some guy in his 50's or 60's. Yeah, I do have a thing for Bruce Willis, but he's Bruce Willis In real life, I'm 34 years old! If you're a regular guy who is old enough to be my dad, then 99% of you are going to creep me out(there are a few nice looking older men I have encountered but they are rare)! And even if I were attracted to you, I'm at work to work. Oh, and I'm married. The end.
    Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

I have to ask - how is this tarantula you speak of, being a jerk? (wondering because I don't know too much about spiders)

Comment

I tend to be overly polite and friendly, and so tend to answer questions people ask...even if they have nothing to do with my job. Rude questions about me personally are none of their frackin' business!
        I wish I had the nerve to just stare and say 'is this question related to something in the store? I can happily answer any store-related questions!' in that oh-so-cheerful voice that does not acknowledge the rudeness of their inappropriate questions.

With rude jerks such as this one, try smiling and asking something like what I wrote...see if it derails them!
        I no longer fear HELL.
        I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Yuck. Apparently he misunderstood the purpose of the store. No, it's not where you go to get a date. Asshole.

And I, too, want to know how the tarantula is being a jerk. As long as there are no pictures.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yeah, they pull that stuff because they know you're at work, and think you have to put up with it. A captive, as it were.

And because they have such tiny pricks that they have to look for them with a microscope.
            I don’t have enough middle fingers to show you how I feel about you.
            - Twitter, via Boredpanda.com, via Youtube

Right. Well. When you manage to pull the concussed deer of your intellect away from the oncoming headlights of life let me know. - Grave keeper

Comment

I also would like to know how you know if a tarantula is a jerk. Did you introduce him to the jerk who was flirting with you?

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                I have to ask - how is this tarantula you speak of, being a jerk? (wondering because I don't know too much about spiders)
                We have a pink toe tarantula who likes to sit perfectly still in her tote, like she's going to behave herself, but as soon as you make a move to try and clean it or give her water or something she darts out and jumps - aiming directly for your face, ESPECIALLY if you are afraid of tarantulas, she can sense it if you're scared of her. Also, she's the only one who's ever bothered to bite anyone. She's not very venomous, so it's nothing to worry about, but still.
                The customer is always WRONG.

Comment

Can we have a pic of the tarantula if we warn Mooncat first?
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I learned from Pink (yes, the singer), the only phrase I ever need to use to justify why I don't want to talk to people like that.

"I'm not here for your entertainment."

It's from the song 'U & Ur Hand'.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Hell with that guy. I would have cut him off after the first couple of questions.

I was about to type: not that I know about getting hit on by guys, but we have had a couple of gay customers who did, so... yeah. I can dig it. Don't be afraid to cut someone off when they're getting personal and especially if they're not buying anything. It wouldn't surprise me if the guy had seen you there before and came back with the sole intention of chatting you up.

Here's how I would picture the conversation going for you:

"Hey you go to any bars in the area?"

"Is there something in the store I can help you with?"

"Er, no... I was just asking..."

"Have a nice day, sir."

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

"Um err duh derrrrrrrp..."

"..."

"What do you do in your free..."

Go total Stepford Wife on him.

Comment

Quoth Faetouched View Post
                        We are paid to be nice to you. Smiling at you or responding politely to you does not mean we're into you.
                        qft. I used to have serious arguments w/ my male friends about exactly this. "No, Tom, you shouldn't go back and ask her out. She gave NO indicator that she was interested. She's PAID to be nice to you."

Quoth MelindaJoy77 View Post
                        Uggggg I can't stand the guys ...50's or 60's. ...I'm 34 years old! ...regular guy ...99% of you ...creep me out.
                        I hear ya! When I was just starting to tend bar (early twenties) thirty and forty year old women used to hit on me. Totally gross and inappropriate. That extra ten or twenty years they had on me almost never wore well; 99% of them just looked used up.

Comment

At least you didn't get the annoying sequel of the other half turning up, putting a possessive arm around their loathsome boyf/husband and giving you an evil death glare as tho they just caught you giving their man a passionate kiss. Add extra marks according to how unattractive the man is. This really annoys me; first of all, like the OP says, I'm only being nice to them cuz I'm working; second; love, you might think your man is the best looking man on the planet, and that every girl is naturally after him, but get this, it's not true.
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

I am a porter for a parking company. I am married. My husband works for the same employer.

I was assigned 2 garages and a parking lot to clean until several months ago. One morning when I got to work, I was told that I was being assigned to a 2 different garages and a different parking lot. Turns out the person who was working there had an on the job accident.

One of my daily duties is to take out the trash/trash pick up, twice a day. The main garage I was moved to has 10 floors. I would use the elevator to go to each floor. That garage has monthly parking.

When I am at work, I do my job. If someone says good morning or hi, I saw good morning or hi. Since I have a lot to do on my job, I do not have the time to make much small talk with customers in the elevator. Most of the people would not say much anyway.

One day when I was doing the trash pickup, an older guy who has monthly parking introduced himself to me. He told me that he sees me in the elevator, but I do not say much. My name is on my uniform. So he calls me by my name. He makes small talk. I make small talk.

A couple of weeks later he sees me in the elevator again. He says hi. I say hi. He makes small talk. I make small talk.

Then a couple of weeks later he sees me picking up trash in the parking lot. He is entering the garage. He waves hi. I wave hi.

I keep things simple because I do not want to give any guy the wrong impression since I am married. Plus I am at work.

Then about 2 weeks ago he sees me in the elevator again. This time things get strange. He says hi and tells me the following...
                            • I do not say much beyond the usual small talk
                            • He wants to get to know me more
                            • He wants to make me his project and to get me to open up to him

I ended up telling my immediate supervisor.

I did not see him after that incident. I returned to cleaning the 2 parking garages and the parking lot I was originally assigned to today. So that guy will no longer see me.

Comment

Working...
                            X