Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aside from being assessed by the mood monitor?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aside from being assessed by the mood monitor?

I have been a regular at the dollar store for many years and I worked there for a holiday season so I know the manager. I was in today in a hurry to pick up a few items so I could go home and take a nap before having to go to work. She asked how I was and I said "Uh, OK" distractedly because I was mentally going through my list. Then it came, the question I HATE: " *just* OK?" Whyyyyy do people need to push me to say I'm better than I am? Can't I just have whatever emotions or state of being I'm in at the time? I answered "Yes, I'm just OK." I made sure I didn't sound annoyed or angry, just matter-of-fact. A few minutes later she asked if I was OK because I sounded "down". I replied that I'm just tired today which is true; I got 5.5 hours sleep and thus the need for a nap. I know she's just trying to be nice but that is soooooo irritating. I just cannot do the midwest nice-at-all-costs thing. It is what it is. Things aren't always fantastic. But they bury their feelings here.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

IMO, her asking "JUST ok?" isn't trying to be nice..... It's like the Smile Police (to me). It's patronizing, and it's fucking irritating, and makes my RBF that much stronger!

Comment

I hate that "Just OK?" shit. When someone does that to me, I stare at them blankly and just say "yeah." I don't say anything else after that. I figure if I do, they'll just ask a bunch of questions I don't feel like answering.

I don't think anyone's done that to me more than once.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

"Well, I WAS doing fine, but now that you're here, that's all gone out the window. That'll be six thirty-two, please."
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Well, I was OK, but then someone started prodding me about my state of mind, which is none of their business, so now I am annoyed that said someone either expects me to lie to them by saying everything's great, or expects me to change how I feel to please a perfect stranger.
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I worked in a place where it became SOP to reply "fine" whenever someone asked how things were going. The reason was, the situation was fluid. Things may be going well one moment, and bragging about it may come back to bite you if it went pear-shaped. Things may be going poorly, but you didn't want to discourage people from participating because of bad publicity.

It became so ingrained, that one day I sat down to dinner with friends, and one asked, "How'd the weekend with the folks go?" I answered "fine." Friend said, a little soberly, "Oh, just fine, huh?"

Comment

Working...
            X