This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No social distancing when buying beer

The other day, I stopped in at a Cumberland Farms, one of our local convenience stores. They have Smart Water, buy 2 one-liter bottles for $3, which is a steal. Because of Covid 19, at the time at least, everyone was encouraged (now required) to wear facial masks of some kind.

When I pulled up, this woman, looked to be in her 40's, pulled up next to me, got out of her car, no mask, and rushed to beat me to the entrance. I just let her pass and did what I could to maintain my six feet from her. I went to the water, she went to the beer cooler, and again, rushed out to beat me to the counter.

A man was at the counter already, with his mask on, while he and the cashier, also with a mask on, were separated by a plexiglass sneeze guard. On the floor, as it is now in most stores, are large dots every six feet at the check out counter so customers know about maintaining a six foot distance between themselves and the customer in front of them.

Beer Lady decided to ignore this, and instead, she went right up next to the customer who was paying for his items, plunked her six pack of beer on the counter, and stood there to the right side of him. The guy turned his face to look at her for maybe five long seconds, like he wanted to drill holes into her, but it didn't phase her one bit. He left, she then paid for her beer while I stayed six feet from her, then she left without a care in the world, except to drink her beer later.

Now, Cumberland Farms has signs outside that tell you that you cannot enter the store unless you are wearing a face mask, and it's probably for people like Beer Lady.

She's probably hoping the alcohol content will keep her safe from the virus... You'd need at least navy-strength rum to manage that though!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

We've got markers on our floor reminding people to maintain their social distance ... but I've had a couple of customers apparently forget about it, despite the markers.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because when I say "PLEASE BACK OFF A BIT THERE!" they do. Sometimes not quite as far as they should, but ...
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        ... BACK OFF A BIT THERE!" they do. Sometimes not quite as far as they should, but ...
        Ermmm.... "I've got short feet?"
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I think the way the executive order is written where I live, certain health conditions (high blood pressure?) absolve someone from wearing a mask - and asking what condition a customer may have violates HIPPA rules. Very rude for not following the social distancing guidelines - which makes it worse for people who really can't wear masks.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
            and asking what condition a customer may have violates HIPPA rules.\
            That is incorrect. HIPAA protects medical records. It does not prevent anyone from inquiring about your medical conditions. Snopes has a good article on it.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ab...mask-loophole/
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

So how do they distinguish who has a genuine medical reason for not being able to wear a mask and who is claiming a medical condition because they don't want to wear one-can they insist on seeing some sort of medical evidence?
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Aha, you are right. It was a decree from the Governor: "Cloth face coverings are not required for...anyone who has trouble breathing or related medical conditions, or who is otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance. A person who cannot wear a cloth face covering because of a medical condition is not required to produce medical documentation of the condition..."

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                  So how do they distinguish who has a genuine medical reason for not being able to wear a mask and who is claiming a medical condition because they don't want to wear one-can they insist on seeing some sort of medical evidence?
                  The same way they distinguish service animals from people lying (at first glance). They don't.

They can, however, make them only use curbside pickup and the like (at least from the way I've seen things written).

Comment

Just a guess here:
                    This happened in New England and not New York.
                    And it happened around 9:55pm, 10:55pm, 11, 40pm, 11:55pm, 12:55am, or 5:55 pm on Sunday?

If I am right, she was running like that because she had about five minutes before the end of legal beer sales.
                    Clowns like her are why the first hour (11pm to midnight) is the busiest hour of my shift, and often the busiest hour of our entire day.

Comment

Working...
                    X