Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh. Yeah, what cs said. You can get USB keyboards pretty cheap at office supply stores or at Voldemart. just check the box carefully to ensure it's Mac-compatible.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Don't know why but that seems to have done the trick! Thank you, csquared!

Now I need to figure out what I did to the space bar when I removed it, cleaned under it (sorta) and put it back; it seems to be super-hyper-sensitive now, putting in more than one space if I'm not really careful.

So I think for the moment I will just go to the office store and buy a can of compressed air and clean out the rest of the keyboard. YUCK.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

System settings -> Accessibility -> Keyboard -> Sticky Keys checkbox Enabled. Make sure that is not checked.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Gremlins. It was the Gremlins.

Something in the keyboard, or possibly the computer, got "stuck". By powering it off, you reset everything, clearing the issue.

You should still consider replacing the keyboard.

I just bought a new keyboard last week for $20.00. A Key Tronics. It is big and heavy (you could kill someone with it). It has nice travel on the keys. And best still, it has the <CTRL>, <ENTER> and "|" keys in the right place, where God intended them to be.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Agreed. Non-mechanical keyboards weren't really meant to be disassembled/properly cleaned/re-assembled; they're meant to be disposable. If you're wondering whether you have such a keyboard or not...You don't (Alternatively, if people can't hear the keys clacking from clear across the house, as The Woz intended it to be, it ain't a (proper) mechanical board).
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
              Now I need to figure out what I did to the space bar when I removed it, cleaned under it (sorta) and put it back; it seems to be super-hyper-sensitive now, putting in more than one space if I'm not really careful.
              Better than even chance that you cleaned enough crap out of the keyboard to make the space bar work normally and you're just used to pushing through the crap.
              ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth rvdammit View Post
                Better than even chance that you cleaned enough crap out of the keyboard to make the space bar work normally and you're just used to pushing through the crap.

Or the spring has been put back incorrectly - that can do weird things. Space bars are always the worst to put back
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
                X