X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiny New Phone System. Yeah, Right.

Sigh.

So The Client moved the ITSD over to a shiny new VOIP system, complete with new desktop application through which all calls and tickets will eventually be routed. At present, only the calls are routed through it. (Chat and email to be added later.)

I was not a fan of the notion when it was announced, for a variety of reasons, but chief among them was my worry of "If the network goes down, that'll take the phones with it, surely."

Welp.

Suddenly everyone at the ITSD got an error pop up and our desktop app shows us as being in a "not ready" state. Toggling back to "ready" does nothing. It pops us back to "not ready."

No problem, we should be able to log our phones out of the VOIP system and back to the old system until the VOIP comes back up. Except, no, our phones are locked in a "discover" state where they're trying to find an IP address that will work and they won't let us do anything.

Meanwhile, our group chats are aware of the network issues (some folks can't even log into their computers) and are trying to figure it out.

One of my CWs tries logging into a phone in our office that hadn't been moved to the VOIP system. Phone shows him as logged in and ready for calls, but none of the now 5 calls waiting will go through. Other CW goes to a working phone and tries recording an outgoing message to inform the people in the queue of what's going on. I see him do it, hear him do it. I call from another working phone to check the message... and it's not there.

We call our managers to let them know of what's going on, but we're basically stuck. No ability to take calls, no ability to inform the queue of what's happening, just sitting with our thumb up our ass waiting for the network to get fixed.

I hate not being able to do anything to fix a problem.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Next step - watch (mis)management ream the worker bees for sitting on your asses not taking calls and not even putting up an outgoing message about the system problem. The shiny new phone system wouldn't let you? Irrelevant! If you hadn't been a bunch of lazy bums, you would have got the work done.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      Next step - watch (mis)management ream the worker bees for sitting on your asses not taking calls and not even putting up an outgoing message about the system problem. The shiny new phone system wouldn't let you? Irrelevant! If you hadn't been a bunch of lazy bums, you would have got the work done.
      We covered our bases there. We called up the managers within a minute or so of the system going down (the outside lines still worked) to keep them up to date on what was going on and what we'd tried.

I expect The Client to get salty about it, but again, we covered our bases, and it was well-documented.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

I hope you're allowed to surf the internet at work because this sounds like a great reason to have an epic browsing session.

Comment

Where do you think I was posting this thread from?

Comment

Working...
          X