This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chip day is coming

This is specifically aimed at users in the U.S.

The U.S. is catching up to the rest of the world by bringing in chip cards (debit and credit). Later this year, there will be a cutoff date, after which the processing organizations (Visa and Mastercard) will be handling fraudulent transactions differently from now:

- If the card is a chip card, and the merchant processed it via the magnetic stripe, the merchant is out the money.

- If the card is NOT a chip card (i.e. it's an old-style magnetic strip only card), the bank which failed to issue a more secure replacement card is out the money.

Of course, the chip cards still have the magnetic stripes to allow them to be used in cases where the merchant has an older terminal, or as a fallback if the chip doesn't work, leading to scenario #1 for fraudulent transactions. Since the chip is supposed to be more secure, I can see fraudsters trying to force a "swipe" transaction (just swiping the card, not inserting it fully so it doesn't read, clear nail polish on the contacts so it doesn't read, static electricity "zap" to try to damage the chip so it won't read, etc). With modern terminals having the customer handling the card, this poses a risk.

Time to check with your employer to see if they have a policy regarding swiping of cards. Does the cashier have to verify that it's not a chip card before allowing it to be swiped? If a chip card, won't read, do you allow it to be swiped as a fallback (exposing the store to liability in case of fraud) or do you simply reject the card? After all, when chargebacks for fraud start coming in, managers won't hesitate to throw peons under the bus.

Note that this is a "heads up" of what's coming. If you want to discuss the merits of this change, there's a site with green text on a black background.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

All I know is that if they have a chip card and swipe it, the card reader beeps at them and a message pops up telling them to insert it. I cannot swipe it on my keyboard anymore; it's been disabled. There is an option to have the customer enter the card number and security code on the card reader if it's a swipe card that is demagnetized.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I wonder how my pizza place will be handling this?

We have A LOT of CC orders both internet and over-the-phone.....

Plus that will mean the company (franchise) will have to spring (you can already hear the creaking and moaning of the Scroogie coin purse opening) for new CC readers and the related software upgrades.

A whole new set of headaches for us.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

1st I've heard of this requirement.
        ahh here we go-
        http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...rity/21008389/

So the issuers need to switch but POS still have time.
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Makes me wonder how things are going to be affected at the library.....customers do have the option of paying fines online, but for those who prefer to pay at the customer service desk, I'm not sure how our POS software works with chip cards.

Comment

Man here in Canada I've had a chip card for, I dunno, at least a few years now. Wonder how long til you guys get the tap to pay. I love tap to pay, works at quite a few places.

Comment

I've seen a few places with tap to pay. There's also limited options to pay with smartphones in some areas (usually the more hipster parts of town). The Smiley Face Empire already forces chip cards to go in the chip reader thing; no swiping those.

Will this switch effect the Square app? I know a lot of farmers markets and ComicCon vendors use it which is great because it saves me from having to carry boatloads of cash.
              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth PastryGal View Post
                Man here in Canada I've had a chip card for, I dunno, at least a few years now. Wonder how long til you guys get the tap to pay. I love tap to pay, works at quite a few places.
                When Tap to Pay came to the Village Tim Horton's I was in my glory...I don't have to think in the mornings when I'm there for my morning caffeine fix More and more places are switching to that sort of thing, over and above even the chip card - I have a feeling there is a maximum purchase for Tap to Pay though because it would be easy to steal somebody's card and use it without the PIN due to not having to actually punch in a PIN when you swipe your card.

The chip card does have it's uses though, and I honestly don't miss swiping my card anymore - I don't have to worry about the magnetic stripe wearing off and making my card pretty much unusable.

Comment

Huh. If Canada already has them, they must work on regular swipe machines then? Because we get tons of shoppers from across the border, and their cards work on our machines just fine.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Yep, they do - they still have the magnetic stripe on them so they can be swiped if necessary. Not all retailers have updated their POS even after all of these years.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                      I've seen a few places with tap to pay. There's also limited options to pay with smartphones in some areas (usually the more hipster parts of town). The Smiley Face Empire already forces chip cards to go in the chip reader thing; no swiping those.

Will this switch effect the Square app? I know a lot of farmers markets and ComicCon vendors use it which is great because it saves me from having to carry boatloads of cash.
                      Is this the thing where the vendor swipes your card and you sign on the screen? If it is, I guarantee that it will be unaffected. I live in Canada and the farmer's market vendors take my chip card that way all the time.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                        Huh. If Canada already has them, they must work on regular swipe machines then? Because we get tons of shoppers from across the border, and their cards work on our machines just fine.
                        Indeed they do. One particular store can never seem to take my chip. And the card makes you try, you can't just opt to swipe first. Mildly annoying.

Comment

Quoth PastryGal View Post
                          I've seen the choice of tap to pay on machines here, but I don't know how many merchants here will be prepared for the chip thing. I know my bank is currently offering to switch cards to the chip card for free. I want to do it, but I'm not sure if the stores I usually shop at will be able to take the payment that way.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
                            Is this the thing where the vendor swipes your card and you sign on the screen? If it is, I guarantee that it will be unaffected. I live in Canada and the farmer's market vendors take my chip card that way all the time.
                            Yes, that's the one. Good to know.
                            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                              Yes, that's the one. Good to know.
                              Aw, I still have to sign? I hate signing, I would rather put in my pin. Bummer.
                              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                              X