X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Job Rocks!

I started my new job last week.

I am sooooo happy here. Let me count the ways I am so happy.

I got a week long orientation before the start of Fall classes. Orientation at the CC consisted of a few hours with HR, and a lot of running around to get a form signed by different departments. Took about a day and was pretty much a waste of time.

The President of the University spoke, and later attended a great reception. He still runs a bio lab on the main campus and publishes in his field.

Got two days of free breakfast and lunch, plus enough food at the reception to equal dinner. Food was very good.

At my first nursing department faculty meeting, me and the other three new faculty were given a gift bag. Nothing outrageously expensive, but thoughtful and useful. Other faculty got welcome back gifts from the Chair as well.

We had refreshments after that included WINE.

There is none of the rancor that characterized faculty meetings at the CC. None of the bullying, argumentativeness, or office politics. Roberts Rules of Order are enforced, discussion must be polite, and the faculty actually vote. Certain topics are evaluated by the various committees before a formal report with a recommendation is submitted, whereupon the faculty vote instead of arguing everything to death. Everyone gets their say, no one gets cut off or shouted down.

Everyone serves on at least one committee.

The Chair doesn't micromanage everything. At curriculum committee (which I'm on) I was surprised to find us discussing a lot of issues normally handled by my Old Chair.

Faculty as a whole has shared governance. Again, Roberts Rules prevails.

The atmosphere is so much more focused on academics than bullshit. Everyone keeps checking to make sure I'm settling in OK, and my new teaching partner is really excited about my ideas.

Meanwhile, things at the old job have just continued to get worse. A good friend of mine is on the verge of being fired because she's become the new target since me, C, and D all left. My friend J is also looking for a new job, and another friend L as well.

I jumped ship just in time.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

That's great. Glad everything is working out for you so far.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Glad to hear the new gig is working out for you.

Isn't it refreshing to work in an environment where you have little drama and everyone for the most part appears to to work well together?

Hope that feeling lasts for you . . . once you find a workplace where you feel comfortable and fit in, hold on to it.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I love Roberts Rules of Order. If every place invoked them, the world would be a much more orderly and polite place.
        I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

So glad you escaped your last workplace!

Comment

Congratulations on your new job, and that it's so much better then the last place. I agree, it sounds like you got out in time, and I'm glad you got to leave on your own terms.

Comment

Working...
            X