Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another one of "those" days (fairly long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one of "those" days (fairly long)

In rough order today:

Aw, shit

I frantically go looking for Someone in Authority. Find the assistant manager. He is talking animatedly to two of the staff members of the newly installed Mermaid Ginormous Coffee Corporation, that has recently installed a kiosk in our store. I wait for a few minutes. Nobody acknowledges me. Finally,

"Excuse me."

Everybody looks at me. I look at AssMan.

"There's a bit of a crisis in the staff women's washroom."

Him: "What kind of crisis?"

Me: "One of the toilets is overflowing."

He froze. I left, as I had to get downstairs to start my shift.

A spoonful of sugar is nice, but ...

Guy comes through my line with three bags of sugar. (I didn't know until later that customers were limited to two.)

One bag wasn't properly sealed, and might also have had a leak somewhere.

There was sugar EVERYWHERE.

I manage to ring him through. Supervisor tells me to go to a different register.

Somebody (I never did find out who) cleaned up the belts and scanning area, and I eventually went back to my original register. I could still feel grittyness under my feet but ...

The suits come marching in

Today was the staff-centred "grand opening" of our renovated store, so of course the suits from corporate were all over the damn place.

AND we were absolutely slammed in terms of customers.

So of course today was the day somebody at some level decided to do some fucking stupid things that could easily have waited.

To wit:
    ~ your nametags can no longer have little stickers on them. If you had such (and I did) you were given a new nametag which had to be put in place immediately.

~ your work station had to be perfectly clear of any papers and or stickers (it's not unusual for cashiers to peel stickers off unusual bits of merchandise and then stick them onto the nearest surface for future reference). I had several bits of paper with (mostly) produce codes for produce items that are not commonly bought and that therefore I haven't memorized. We had to clear all this stuff off STAT. Despite being slammed.

Can't remember what else.

Seriously, they could not have given us some advance warning of this stuff??

I don't think that word means what you think it means

Guy comes through my line with a small number of items ... maybe half a dozen items, two of each. He wants to get our rewards card so he can get the benefits. I scan the card and tell him to tap "yes" when prompted to accept the terms. I give him the card. He wants to know if he gets points right away. I'm pretty sure he doesn't but call over a supervisor, who says no. He will get "member's price" on relevant items, but I tell him he has to go online to both use points (the default on these cards is points are "Earn Only") and to collect them -- because he will be sent specific items that will garner him those precious points.

He gets indignant.

"I don't have a computer at home. I do have one at work but my boss won't like me doing this sort of thing there.

"This is discrimination against people who don't have computers."

He repeats the "discrimination" accusation three or four more times before he left. I managed not to snap at him.

Organized ... do you know what it means?

I lost count of the number of customers who not only didn't have their rewards card and/or debit card ready ... but who had to dig madly to find one or the other or both. Most were women so they were digging through purses large and small. "Oh, here it is ... no, this isn't it ... maybe it's here ... no ... sorry ..."

It's annoying enough when we're slow; when we're nonstop like today ...

Only if I can preface it with some plonk

As I mentioned earlier, today was the staff-oriented "grand opening" of our renovated store. We closed at 6 p.m. and the "event" started at 7 p.m. For me it meant a 2.5-hour wait; my shift ended at 4:30 and given how far away I live, I knew if I went home I'd never come back. So I went looking for somewhere to eat. You'd think that wouldn't be difficult, right? Well, in pre-COVID days, yeah ...

Anyway, eventually I did get a supper and went back. They had brought in a sound system which was blaring loud music. Store manager gave a speech, talking about how each department (going through them one by one) was pretty much "on fire" over the past few months (so that means we're getting our pandemic pay back, right ... ?) and we applauded for each department as it was mentioned.

We took as much of a tour of the store as we could, since there was both cleanup and (still) construction going on near the back of the store, collected our goody bags and some of us left. Some stayed.

I'd had a glass of the aforementioned plonk with my supper and between one thing and another, I was tired, so I was one of the ones who quietly slid out.

Manager had mentioned that tomorrow is another grand opening event, this one for the public, with T*H*E S*U*I*T*S and (if I heard correctly) the mayor, and he encouraged those of us not working to come in for that.

Can you say "Not a fucking chance"? I knew you could.

I've seen the store manager running back and forth, helping to wipe down belts so we could keep the line of customers moving as quickly as possible, hustling online orders out the door to waiting cars, and so on. In other words, I've seen him actually working.

I'm pretty skeptical of how hard the suits work. And the mayor? He's the idiot who went out to some restaurant recently and broke the COVID masking regulations, so I really have no interest in what he's got to say.

Besides, I have Christmas cards to work on.
    Last edited by Pixelated; 12-04-2020, 01:55 AM.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero
Working...
X