X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morbid, but interesting article...

What happens to the human body after 100 years inside a coffin

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...-coffin-2019-8

Hint: We only last about 100 years. At least according to the article. Don't know how the ancient Egyptians got bodies to last so long...
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

The ancient Egyptians didn't leave it up to Mother Nature, that's how. Although as this article says, it is possible (given exactly the right conditions) for a body to mummify naturally.

And it doesn't even require a hot, dry, sandy locale. Have you ever heard of "bog bodies"? They were found in more northern regions when bodies ended up in bogs, which are naturally very acidic and oxygen-starved.

Also, if you're interested, there's a YouTube channel called "Ask a Mortician" (I kid you not), run by Caitlin Doughty who, according to her website, "is a mortician, activist, and funeral industry rabble-rouser."

Personally, I'm probably going for cremation.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I want the usable bits of my body donated, then whatever's left ground up and fed to sharks. If that can't be done, then cremation. Or whatever, I don't really care, I'll be done with it by then.
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        Also, if you're interested, there's a YouTube channel called "Ask a Mortician" (I kid you not), run by Caitlin Doughty who, according to her website, "is a mortician, activist, and funeral industry rabble-rouser."
        Yeah, I found her channel on YT after my dad passed in 2018. It was oddly helpful to my mourning/healing process. I watched her video on the cremation process and what happens to the body during cremation, since that's what my dad chose.

What's weird, though, is that the article says that even with the body "mummifying" naturally, that also decays within the 100 years. Hence my comment about the Egyptians. Because my understanding is that even with "modern" body preservation techniques (embalming), those are meant to be very temporary.
        Last edited by mjr; 03-17-2021, 12:21 PM.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
        X