This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOOK at me!

My boss had an initial consult with a couple applying for a home purchase loan today. He asked me to sit in since I'll likely be the one actually handling the application. He introduced me. I sat down. Then the husband of the couple proceeded to ignore me for the rest of the time they were there. The wife tried to include me a few times, but the husband continued to speak over her, so we ended up having a separate conversation from the husband and my boss' conversation. The guy didn't look in my direction except when my boss referred to me. He didn't even look at his wife when she spoke. It was frustrating and infuriating, but I couldn't say anything for fear of losing the customers. What made it even worse, in my view, is that after they left, my boss told me what great people they are. Yeahno.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Very odd.

I can think of a few possibilities, ranging from the relatively benign (autism? hearing issues?) to the eye-roll-worthy (raised to believe in ye olde "the man is in charge" mindset?) to the downright malevolent (some sort of abusive relationship?).
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

It probably didn't help that the boss actively maintained the conversation with the guy. This may have led the guy to assume he was dealing with the boss and you were there to assist (take notes).
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

...or to chat about kittens and fairy cakes with the wife whilst the men talked
        ...or even just to provide some visual attractiveness whilst the men talked
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I heard of this happening in another situation: A church had hired a minister, and after his hire, had started to hear in his homilies some stuff they didn't actually think should be part of the doctrine they subscribed to - think fire and brimstone and stuff like that.

When the committee paid a friendly visit to the pastor and his wife at home, he talked over her, and it became clear that in his opinion, women were to speak only when spoken to.

They let him go.

Comment

The only good explanation I can think of is if he has mobility issues. Like he can't turn his head or torso to the right, which is the side his wife and I were sitting on. Doesn't explain him continuing to talk with my boss while his wife asked me questions, though.

It will be interesting to see whether they bring the application back to me (which is what my boss suggested) or to my boss.

I want to get mad, but at the same time, this kind of crap happens all the time.
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
            X