Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our county told us to trash glass because it costs too much to recycle. Hard plastic is recyclable, but plastic bags are not.

I remember when Coca-Cola bottles would be reused by the company. Now it all just goes in the trash.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
      It baffles me that ANYTHING is sold in glass jars anymore. I was so happy when Snapple started selling drinks in plastic containers.
      I remember when there was a shampoo, "Prell", that came in a glass bottle. That's not something you'd want to have break in the shower.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

O_O I don't recall ever seeing shampoo in a glass bottle -- that's just asking for a lawsuit. I used to use Prell, too!
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Even hard plastic isn't nearly as recyclable as we'd like. The different types contaminate each other, so every mis-sorted item has disproportionate effects on the batch quality. Likewise for food residue, and scraps of other material like neck rings or caps. Worse, as with paper, there's an intrinsic loss of material quality with each go-round.

And that's with decent sorting. In my area, a guy tried to set up a "single-stream" recycling company, but they got completely hammered by the above issues and went bankrupt within a couple or three years.

Comment

"Here sir, YOU take the mop. See that? My personality just went 100% better!"

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
              It means he figured you were wimpy enough for him to get away with bullying you.
              Sadly, that's probably the truth. He's one of those miserable creeps who can't be satisfied until he's made someone else miserable too. You have my sympathies.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
              X