This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you calling me a thief?

So I was on register, mid-transaction when it crashed. The entire system was having issues today. The CDH was able to recall the transaction and transfer it to another register; after a few hiccups recalling the transaction (customer throws a few items across the scanner; you cannot recall a transaction if any items have already been scanned so CDH had to use her key to void it and start over) my bagger loads three grocery bags into the customer's cart and she wheels it away.

15 minutes later, I'm cashing out another customer when a woman barges in, getting in both my face and my customer's face.

SC (loaded for bear): "Do you remember me? Do you?"
    Me: "Step back please, I'm with a customer now."

SC starts shouting about how I "stole" a bag of her groceries (now how do you postulate that I committed this brazen crime?) and waves the receipt in my face. I recognize it as the transaction that crashed.
    Me: Ma'am, I did ring you up and my bagger and I gave you three grocery bags. You left my station with three bags in a cart."
    SC: "No! I drove all the way home and only had two bags! You took my groceries!"
    My real customer was far more polite than he needed to be during this; I kinda wish he had gone off on SC.
    Me: "Excuse me, are you accusing me of theft?"
    I flag the AM down; I want this lady to GTFO of my space. "This customer is missing a bag, and she seems to think that I had something to do with it." AM takes SC over closer to the desk, well away from any registers. I can't hear the conversation (odd, SC was screaming up a storm when she thought she had a large audience). I guess AM let her grab the 'missing' items. Before SC stomped out she yells "You stole my groceries!"

AM: "Are you OK? What happened?"
    Me: "I'm as confused as you are. That was the transaction that froze and had to be recalled. We gave her three bags and she left the register with three bags in a cart."
    AM: "If she really didn't get three bags wouldn't she notice that before she left the store?"
    Bagger: "That requires paying attention. Think about our general customer base here."

An hour later, someone finds the bag that SC though I stole...on the bag platform of a register closer to the door. We think that SC unloaded her bags, left the cart blocking the door and left without one bag. I don't know about anyone else, but if I'm given three bags at checkout I'd damn well notice if I got any distance with only two. The way that her mind instantly jumped to "the cashier did it!" tells me that she was just looking to get someone in trouble.

AM noticed my "I Have Autism" bracelet and commented did the SC see it and think she could get the "dummy" in trouble...I don't doubt that either. Although this "dummy" knew how many bags she had and what was in each bag.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-06-2021, 02:01 AM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

No - I only steal things to hide the bodies and clean the scene. I didn't need 43 tubes of "personal lubricant" and 2 XL cucumbers
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
      I don't know about anyone else, but if I'm given three bags at checkout I'd damn well notice if I got any distance with only two.
      Actually, shortly after my husband's death I paid for a cart full of groceries and started to walk out of the store entirely empty-handed - no bags, no cart, nothin'.

Comment

I left a large trashcan at the checkout, and didn't realize for a couple days. But I know better than blame the cashier for my stupidity.

Once saw a customers shouting and yelling at an employee for "stealing" her groceries. She accidentally left some groceries in her cart in the parking lot, but of course this was the store's fault. Worse, she was taking it out on a poor employee that hadn't even interacted wtih her. Employee searched through the parking lot, in the pouring rain, and found her cart with the "missing" items. No thank you of course, the woman grabbed her items and left the store and drenched employee in a huff.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I once left a flat of water in the shopping cart instead of packing it into the car.

Figured it out after getting home, and went back to the store to ask if they had noticed a cart with a flat of water in the cart return area, because I had obviously not been paying attention and had left it. They had not seen it, but they told me to just go pick one up for free.

It's amazing what being nice can do, huh?
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I have also forgotten a bag of groceries at the store. It does happen.

Comment

The consensus in-store seems to be that SC was just looking for somebody, anybody, to take something out on...I've been noticing more of that with my state's botched vaccine rollout. Everyone's mad about it, and for some reason us who have kept everyone fed are convenient targets.

Comment

They can't yell at anyone else and they just have to yell at someone.

I'm sorry you have to put up with it.

Comment

Happened again today. Might have been the same lady; she opened with "Do you remember me?!" in the same accusatory tone (and even more in-my-face) as last time.

I wasn't even on a register and was watching SCO. Her bag had been sitting on the service desk for at least an hour (luckily nothing perishable). I didn't even ring her up originally...but I guess now I'm a convenient target because she thinks I scammed her once. Sigh. This is why I take issue with the fact that cashiers' names are printed on receipts.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                    Happened again today. Might have been the same lady; she opened with "Do you remember me?!" in the same accusatory tone (and even more in-my-face) as last time.
                    "No, you must not have been that interesting."
                    Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Working...
                    X