Clear All

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
    I thought it was "NIET"?

Either way, it should work.
    I'm spelling phonetically!
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
      Ugh. I can't stand people who eat sunflower seeds and don't take care of the shells.

It's even worse when the jerks are on the bus!

^-.-^

I can beat that

Get on the bus this morning-groggly step on something that's hard-look down there's chicken bones all over the back of the bus-and a crushed bucket from the chicken place
      Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I thought it was "NIET"?
        *puts on teacher hat*

Nope.

It's actually (using the English alphabet) just 'net'. Of course, a lot of e's tend to end up with a 'ye' sound in Russian.

I bet it wouldn't be very hard to find someone to translate "Please don't throw your shells on the floor." into Russian for you. Have it printed on a little slip of paper and hand it to them next time they come in with a bag of seeds.
        Or just point to the seeds, shake your head and say 'danet' (dah-NYET), which is basically a catch-all phrase to contradict something.
        Mike: I'm gonna tell my boss I'm Puma Man, maybe he'll let me off early.

- "Puma Man", MST3K.

Comment

UPDATE:

The Russian family came back today. I heard them order their drinks in English, so they obviously knew how to speak it rather well.

My coworker (the one who had to vacuum up their damn mess the other night) was keeping a sharp eye on them, in case any sunflower seeds emerged.

After about 5 minutes, sure enough, I heard that god awful crunching sound. I hurried over there and laid down the law, saying they couldn't eat those in the shop, since they left such a huge mess the other night. One of them just looked at me and said in a lovely bitchy voice "all right" and kinda rolled her eyes.

They stopped eating them for the most part--one girl kept eating them, but spit all the shells into a cup. After they left, I was surprised to see there weren't any shells on the floor! Go me!!
          Here's your sign...

Comment

Quoth computeraide View Post

Off-Topic: The only thing worse was the old high school I used to work at. We had a large population of students who chewed tobacco and would spit chaw on the floor, especially in the corners or in the corners of stairwells. Talk about disgusting!
            Ew, wow. I didn't think anybody actually DID that anymore, outside of maybe the stereotypical Deep South... I mean, you have to be an adult to smoke tobacco legally over in my area, and tobacco in schools is very Not Allowed. ( Here, when kids wanna sneak something into school to smoke it it's pot)
            "Respect: to admit that something one may not enjoy or prefer might still have great value." ~L. Munoa

Comment

here no one smuggles pot into the high schools they leave it in their car and have a stoner trip home... instead they bring a mountain dew bottle and some dip.

Comment

Quoth Sharsarannon View Post
                Ew, wow. I didn't think anybody actually DID that anymore, outside of maybe the stereotypical Deep South... I mean, you have to be an adult to smoke tobacco legally over in my area, and tobacco in schools is very Not Allowed. ( Here, when kids wanna sneak something into school to smoke it it's pot)
                It's very against the rules - I think in all US schools nowadays, since schools are supposed to be "Drug Free Zones". But it never stops the kids from bringing in and using cigarettes, chewing tobacco, etc. Heck, there were two kids caught having sex in an obscure hallway inside the building about a week ago. That's not allowed, either, btw.

Comment

I thought it was "NIET"?
                  Actually, it's нет.
                  Music: Last.fm
                  Pwetty pictuwes: DeviantArt | Flickr

Comment

ANOTHER UPDATE:

(Warning, strong language!)

Sooo, the bastards were back the other day. (I was not working when they were there). I came in later that day to close, and had my coworker go out to check the dining area, look for plates, etc.
                    She came back to me and said there was a HUGE mess of those goddamn sunflower seeds all over the floor in one corner.
                    This was two days after I reprimanded them and told them not to eat the fucking things in the store!!!
                    She volunteered to vacuum it up, and it took her the better part of a half hour to get it all.

But wait, it gets better.

The table they were sitting at was in the same corner as the little kids table, next to which is a toybox with a few lame toys in it.

Yesterday one of my coworkers, who loves to clean, took the toys out of the box to wash and sanitize them (safe stuff btw). Once she had all the toys out, she discovered....can you guess?.....yup, a pile of fucking sunflower seeds.

Those people are such fucking pigs. I can't stand them!!! It's one thing to get that shit on the floor, but in a kids' toy box?????

Assholes. They can all DIAF.

/end rant
                    Here's your sign...

Comment

(off topic) I'm just finishing up a Russian/Soviet Theatre class, and our own teacher doesn't stick to the same system of transliteration (? not sure if that's the word for it - converting Russian words to English alphabet). Therefore - Stanislavski or Stanislavsky...Meyerhold or Meyerkhold. Very confusing.

That said...EW. Can you talk to your manager about this and get them banned?
                      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth Cyphr View Post
                        instead they bring a mountain dew bottle and some dip.
                        One of my college ex-boyfriend's friends, C, used to do that. You could always tell when he'd been hanging out at our house, as his spit bottle would be left in a corner somewhere.

Quoth EmilyRose1982 View Post
                        Yesterday one of my coworkers, who loves to clean, took the toys out of the box to wash and sanitize them (safe stuff btw). Once she had all the toys out, she discovered....can you guess?.....yup, a pile of fucking sunflower seeds.

Those people are such fucking pigs. I can't stand them!!! It's one thing to get that shit on the floor, but in a kids' toy box?????
                        Ok, EW. Time for them to be banned, if they can't bother to act like human beings, instead of farm animals, in a public place. Ew.
                        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                          (off topic) I'm just finishing up a Russian/Soviet Theatre class, and our own teacher doesn't stick to the same system of transliteration (? not sure if that's the word for it - converting Russian words to English alphabet). Therefore - Stanislavski or Stanislavsky...Meyerhold or Meyerkhold. Very confusing.
                          Not really if you have even basic grasp of the Russian Cyrillic alphabet, or the language itself.

The literal transcription of "Станиславский" is "Stanislavskij", which in turn can be written as "Stanislavskiy". It all depends on the system used.
                          From what I noticed, substituting "ij" with "y" is generally better for English speakers.
                          Same goes for writing "ее" as "eye". "Сергеевич" (Stanislavsky's отчество) can be transcribed as "Sergeevich", "Sergeyevich", "Siergiejewicz" (in Eastern Europe) etc. All of those are correct, it's up to you which one is more convenient in use.
                          Music: Last.fm
                          Pwetty pictuwes: DeviantArt | Flickr

Comment

Maybe you need to have a special rule forbidding sunflower seeds in your place. When I was in school, these were forbidden to even be brought on campus due to people like you've described here. Just like gum wasn't permitted.

Comment

I would've made them get on their hands and knees and pick up every last shell

Comment

Working...
                              X