Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know that I'd see that as line cutting, personally. If it was so busy you probably didn't see why she waited, really. It could even be a situation where she wasn't able to stand for long periods.

What irritates me about our closest subway is the stinginess. All my daughter wants in pickles and olives but they never give her extra olives. (5 or 6 pieces of olive is all one woman will ever put on) If she isn't getting everything else I would think that few extra olives isn't going to break them. I feel like ordering all the rest on the side just to make a point.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
    ~Clerks

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
      I don't know that I'd see that as line cutting, personally. If it was so busy you probably didn't see why she waited, really. It could even be a situation where she wasn't able to stand for long periods.
      In which case she should have been sitting down at the nearest table, not elsewhere. She wasn't even in the shop. And it IS line cutting; no matter whether it's your kids, husband, best friend, cousin, whatever; you do not shove past people already there to join them, you wait your turn. If you are the one paying for the food, then why not give the kids the money they need? If you trust them enough to go into a Subway all by themselves and order their own food, then you should trust them with exact money.

Quoth SuperB View Post
      What irritates me about our closest subway is the stinginess. All my daughter wants in pickles and olives but they never give her extra olives. (5 or 6 pieces of olive is all one woman will ever put on) If she isn't getting everything else I would think that few extra olives isn't going to break them. I feel like ordering all the rest on the side just to make a point.
      Yeah, but if they gave you extra, they'd have to give every other person who wanted extra, extra; and it does add up. I worked in a pizza place, and there was a certain amount of toppings like olives that was put on the pizza. We couldn't go over it unless someone asked for double, cuz toppings cost money. You can always buy a cheap tub of olives at a shop and saturate your daughter's sub, after all. Just adding my opinion; if I wanted extra of any topping on my sub, I'd be happy to pay for the extra. It's hardly breaking the bank.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

I think my first comment to that rude would have been.

"HOW OLD ARE YOU, THREE!?!"
        I don't have an anger problem! I have an idiot problem!-Hank Hill

Comment

A few things:

1. Subs can come messy for two reasons, one is you have a bad sandwich artist, two is you put too much stuff on your sub. I make damn good subs, I don't plan on making a career out of this thing but I do want to do it right as long as I work here--and that includes making good subs. But there are a few customers who just want too much stuff on their subs. For example I've had people get double meat teriyaki chicken with everything. Believe it or not, if you let me make it with a normal amount of every single topping, it will all fit--just barely. But some customers can't stand that, so they want double lettuce, or extra tomatoes, et cetera. At that point, you've exceeded the capacity of the bread. I'll give you a knife and fork if you want, but other than that, you've made your bed--lie in it.

2. It's corporate Subway policy that customers get as much of any veggie as they want. We have veggie formulas, but they are "suggestions" they are what we are supposed to give customers who ask for a veggie and don't specify that they want a lot/little of that veggie.

Theoretically you should be able to get as many olives as you want on your sub. I've made subs with multiple handfuls full of olives before.

Just so you know, olives and pickles are two of the most expensive toppings the franchisees have to buy, so no, they won't like it, and yes, it does hurt their bottom line. But still, you are allowed to get as much as you want--if they tell you no then they are in violation of Subway policies and you could report them to corporate Subway.

There are a few Subways that have even tried to charge extra for extra veggies--also against Subway rules for its franchisees.

3. The woman may have had a good reason for cutting--it was still cutting, and not fair to the other customers. She could have tried to explain the situation, she didn't. She just insisted she was there by right.

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
            A check on my own level of suckiness....

when I go to Subway, and it's veggie time, sometimes I'll ask, "Could I have some more xxx?" Sucky? I mean, I just like lots of pickles. Anyway.

The only problem I regularly have at Subway..sometimes my sandwiches are REALLY messy. I mean, I get that there's a line and we're all in a hurry, but geez!
            No, not sucky.

Comment

With the absence of all the other toppings you honestly think a few extra olives to make up for the lack of anything else are such an issue? I'm not talking about extra everything. I'm talking about extra olives so that her sandwich isn't so thin compared to a regular sandwich. As I said, next time I'll ask for the rest on the side to make a point and get my money's worth.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
              ~Clerks

Comment

line cutting and suckiness; why she sent in young children to order is a mystery.

she's the adult, and needs to remember that; sending in your children to order (younger ones) isn't a good idea-they often forget what you're after and have to ask you again (and again...) for the information.

the fact that she chose to not have all the order ready at once is also sucky; how hard is it to write it down, or ask the children to sit and wait until she's in? i doubt she was rushing to a burning house, so a bit of a wait wouldn't have killed her.

she was out of line, no matter how you slice it.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
                  With the absence of all the other toppings you honestly think a few extra olives to make up for the lack of anything else are such an issue? I'm not talking about extra everything. I'm talking about extra olives so that her sandwich isn't so thin compared to a regular sandwich. As I said, next time I'll ask for the rest on the side to make a point and get my money's worth.
                  Mazthoril said it would only be a problem in that the stores would still have to pay extra for more pickles and olives themselves, not that they are right in withholding them from your daughter's sandwich. If it's corporate policy to give as much of any veggie as the customer wants with no extra charges, as Mazthoril says, make sure to bring this up the next time you go, and report the store to corporate if they still refuse.

Re: messy subs: I only have an issue when I'm not getting double of stuff or every veggie possible on my sub. Then it's just sloppiness. Days like this I wish my roommate Anki were still working Subway (sorry, Anki!) since she was a dang fine sandwich artist. I wonder if my sister is too....

Biggest problem I've ever had with a Subway was the one in the Wal-Mart I worked in. There were two restaurant specials advertised on signs in the Subway, four different specials advertised over the PA system at frequent intervals, and an employee discount for Wal-Mart employees who ate there. Only once did I have a Subway employee who knew which radio special I was talking about (all the others kept asking if I meant the radio in the car when I kept telling them it was the store radio), and half the time I could get my employee discount with it while the other half they told me "one or the other" (which I can understand; I just wish they were consistent). Ugh.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Just so you know, olives and pickles are two of the most expensive toppings the franchisees have to buy, so no, they won't like it, and yes, it does hurt their bottom line. But still, you are allowed to get as much as you want--if they tell you no then they are in violation of Subway policies and you could report them to corporate Subway.

There are a few Subways that have even tried to charge extra for extra veggies--also against Subway rules for its franchisees.
                    Olives and pickles are expensive. But I always figure that for all the customers who don't get them, the 1 of 5 that do ask for extra aren't hurting our food costs any.

I believe that in the Operations Manual it says you can be taken to arbitration and lose your franchise if you charge for extras other than meats and cheeses.

All that aside....you still have to wait in line until you can ask for extra

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
                      Have you asked for extra olives? That isn't clear from your description. The sandwich artist shouldn't give extra of any veggies just because you don't ask for a lot of different types of veggies. The sandwich artist should build the sandwich to formula, giving extra veggies if asked for, that makes business sense and also gives a more standardized product to the customers.

I have no problem giving extra veggies of any type to a customer--that is a corporate Subway policy and I follow it. I do have a problem with people "expecting" extra without asking for it. I'm not a mind reader, I'm not going to assume you want double olives just because olives are the only thing you ask for on your sub, some people want just a regular amount of olives and nothing else. The most efficient thing for me to do is to build to formula and make changes at the customer's request. It takes mere seconds of my time and yours for you to ask for extra olives, and the request will be complied with.

If the store you are at is refusing to give extra olives, I doubt they would give them on the side. But it sounds like you are just expecting them to mind-read and realize you want extra olives. It may shock you, but "money's worth" aside (god forbid that $4-5 doesn't net you every penny's worth you think it should), we can't read minds. Some people for example, would love it if we gave them extra cheese for free--some people don't want extra cheese even if it was for free, because it adds calories and fat to their subs.

Pickles and olives are some of the few veggies we have with significant fat/calorie content, so I definitely wouldn't add extra without request.

Don't expect people to read your mind, expect a standard amount of toppings unless you ask for more or less, and then you can expect however much you ask for--that is how we train people and it makes sense for a lot of reasons. I have many customers who like a light amount of olives and who would not like a "ton of olives" even if it did give them more bang for their buck.

If you are asking for extra and they aren't giving it to you--explain to them that you know Subway policies forbids this.

Like I said, one girl we hired used to work at a Subway where the franchisee charged for extra veggies. While Subway regulates the behavior of their franchisees, unless a development agent (Subway Inspector) or someone calls it in, a franchisee can get away with it. My owner even sells catering products to the local schools and doesn't ever run them through the system, meaning he gets revenue off of it that doesn't get assessed the 12.5% franchise fee. He's been doing it for years (rumor has it Subway fined him many thousands of dollars for it when they caught him years ago), but continues to do it.
                      Last edited by Mazthoril; 05-07-2008, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Charging for extra veggies is against Subway Corporate policy? Very interesting........

I'm going to add that to my list of illegal things my Subway owner is doing. He's going to get exposed by us employees very soon so that's very interesting to know that him charging for extra veggies is against corporate.

By the way, I really hate that man. (my Subway owner) He's a greedy scumbag.
                        My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
                        My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

Quoth TheTigress View Post
                          Charging for extra veggies is against Subway Corporate policy? Very interesting........

I'm going to add that to my list of illegal things my Subway owner is doing. He's going to get exposed by us employees very soon so that's very interesting to know that him charging for extra veggies is against corporate.

By the way, I really hate that man. (my Subway owner) He's a greedy scumbag.
                          Our franchisee has a laundry list of illegal things, as well as things that violate his franchise agreement with Subway. Such as:

1. He doesn't pay overtime
                          2. He doesn't pay minimum wage to many of the employees
                          3. He doesn't let employees fill out a form W-4, he sets up your withholding and won't let you set it up any other way (Everyone's withholding is single w/1 dependent)
                          4. He doesn't hire blacks, period
                          5. Habitual sexual harassment of female employees
                          6. He withholds final pay checks until uniforms are returned

Comment

Quoth Mazthoril View Post
                            Our franchisee has a laundry list of illegal things, as well as things that violate his franchise agreement with Subway. Such as:

1. He doesn't pay overtime
                            2. He doesn't pay minimum wage to many of the employees
                            3. He doesn't let employees fill out a form W-4, he sets up your withholding and won't let you set it up any other way (Everyone's withholding is single w/1 dependent)
                            4. He doesn't hire blacks, period
                            5. Habitual sexual harassment of female employees
                            6. He withholds final pay checks until uniforms are returned
                            Your list overlaps mine on a few areas, especially anything to do with paychecks

Mine:

1. Doesn't pay overtime
                            2. Has someone under the age of 18 closing
                            3. No fucking raises
                            4. Makes the closer change the dates on our food bains
                            5. Once made me use very toxic oven cleaner stuff to clean the bread pans. They literally started getting hot and steaming
                            6. No lunch breaks. (or breaks at all for that matter unless you are a smoker)
                            7. Used to make us put our own money in the till if it was short. (I put a stop to that and he knows he can no longer get away with it)
                            8. Has secret audio capability on the cameras without posting a notification on the window anywhere
                            9. (not sure if this is illegal but it was very shitty) He kept the store open after we were robbed. ROBBED.
                            10. Charging for extra veggies
                            11. Withholding final paycheck until uniforms are returned, and on top of that makes you write a letter of resignation so you cannot collect unemployment.
                            My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
                            My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

*twitches* Tell me where you guys are so that I may never put my money in the till...specially since I like getting extra veggies.

Comment

Quoth TheTigress View Post
                                11. Withholding final paycheck until uniforms are returned, and on top of that makes you write a letter of resignation so you cannot collect unemployment.
                                Wow. Holding the final paycheck on it's own is illegal, but forcing a person to write a letter of resignation to not pay out unemployment? Why has he not been arrested yet?!?

And Mazthoril, how is it your guy hasn't been arrested several times over?!?

^-.-^
                                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                                X