This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you like paper... or paper?

For those who don't know, Whole Foods recently did away with plastic grocery bags company wide, starting on Earth Day 2008 (earlier if stores ran out of plastic bags early).

Whole Foods will also give you a "bag refund" for every bag you bring in - it varies from region to region, but in my region, if you bring in a paper or plastic bag, you get 5 cents off of your bill per bag used. If you bring in a cloth or otherwise "durable" bag, you get 10 cents off per bag used. So buying a reusable bag eventually pays for itself - our cheapest ones are 99 cents, hold up very well, and have a lifetime warranty (if it ever tears or rips, we'll swap it out). Admittedly, all of my reusable bags are from Safeway, I got tired of waiting for our bags to come in.

Most of the customers have been understanding about the switch, though several have questioned why we did it since the paper bags cost significantly more.

Then we get a few who are absolutely pissed that we don't offer plastic.

"What a mess! Why can't you offer plastic like a normal store? This will be such a mess!" (this line came from an elderly lady that was around 65-70... the kind of person who grew up using paper bags)

"I don't like paper bags! They don't insulate as well as plastic!" (paper bags actually insulate much better - if you can feel the cold items through the bag, it's not insulating, sorry)

"You put too much stuff in the paper bags, they're too heavy!" (okay, you got me there - just ask me to make the bags light, I have no problem doing that)

"What am I supposed to use for my litter box?" (uh... I'm sure you go to other stores too, right? Even though I work here, I still go to other stores... I just use a WalMart or Safeway bag when I clean my cat's shitbox)

Overall, people have responded positively to the change... but there's always a few grumpy assholes.

I did manage to cram a $700 order into a Miata the other day - 3 shopping carts full of bags. All those years of playing Tetris came in handy... along with those few hellish months that I spent loading 18 wheelers for UPS. Even the owner of the Miata was surprised that I managed to get everything in his car. And I'm willing to bet money that everything arrived in one piece. A lot of his items were doubled bagged too (in paper of course), since he had a long drive and I had packed ice in with all of the perishables.

(oh yeah, I'm a bagger again.. grumble)

Quoth bean View Post
    I did manage to cram a $700 order into a Miata the other day - 3 shopping carts full of bags. All those years of playing Tetris came in handy... along with those few hellish months that I spent loading 18 wheelers for UPS. Even the owner of the Miata was surprised that I managed to get everything in his car. And I'm willing to bet money that everything arrived in one piece. A lot of his items were doubled bagged too (in paper of course), since he had a long drive and I had packed ice in with all of the perishables.
    I salute you for that feat. My roommate drives a Miata and we have enough trouble playing Tetris with 3 people. Of course I'm always the least comfortable one, first time I sat in another guys lap, every other time I've sat on the console and had a metal bar in my back.

Now to make a pun about fitting all those items in it... Ahem, the Miata is an expensive lunchbox, and you fit a very expensive lunch inside it!
    Pretend there's something here that sounds insightful, but is really just some pseudo-intellectual bull.

Comment

Quoth bean View Post

"What am I supposed to use for my litter box?"
      Why doesn't she just buy a roll of small white plastic garbage bags from the cleaning aisle like I do?

P.S. I always use reusable bags for shopping. It makes sense too because otherwise you just end up with a pile of plastic bags in a drawer somewhere that you think might come in handy some day but never do and just take up space.
      It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

I just use a cellulouse based litter. Scoop it up, put it in the toilet, wait 2 mins to let it 'unclump' then flush
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
          "What am I supposed to use for my litter box?"
          Not my problem.
          Also, there are many other solutions.

I know this is a new concept to customers, but you'll just have to deal with it.
          Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Quoth chinashirtgirl View Post
            Why doesn't she just buy a roll of small white plastic garbage bags from the cleaning aisle like I do?

P.S. I always use reusable bags for shopping. It makes sense too because otherwise you just end up with a pile of plastic bags in a drawer somewhere that you think might come in handy some day but never do and just take up space.
            Actually, I do have a pile of plastic bags in a drawer.

But they do get used - for the litter box. And Whole Foods is NOT the only retailer I shop at, plenty of other retailers still insist on giving me plastic bags. It'll take me at least a year to go through the pile of bags I have now, assuming I don't re-use them for groceries.

I do take bags (reusable and plastic) with me for groceries, but usually forget when I do stuff like pick up stuff from Petco or Home Depot.

Comment

In my opinion, paper bags do more damage to the enviroment then plastic... And they are not as durable... but I love the cloth bags they make these days... most are extremely durable, AND reusable.. And they look good too.
              MMO Addicts group

Comment

Let's please keep this to Bean's sucky customer(s) and the amazing space-time bending feat of cramming all that stuff into a tiny car.

Any discussions as to the environmental sensibilities involved in "paper v plastic," please take those to Fratching.

Thank you.
                Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
                  "I don't like paper bags! They don't insulate as well as plastic!" (paper bags actually insulate much better - if you can feel the cold items through the bag, it's not insulating, sorry)
                  My store still offers plastic bags, but I still get that line. Though usually it's more like:

"I have a long drive, so can you bag them in double plastic?"

I've explained to a few of the customers that paper is a much better insulator, but most of my customers disagree with me.
                  "...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?!" ~ Kalga

"DO NOT ENRAGE THE MIGHTY SKY DRAGON." ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Aramika View Post
                    My store still offers plastic bags, but I still get that line. Though usually it's more like:

"I have a long drive, so can you bag them in double plastic?"

I've explained to a few of the customers that paper is a much better insulator, but most of my customers disagree with me.
                    Does your store (and the OPs store) offer those special cooler bags? They're only about 3 or 4 AUD I believe :P

Any discussions as to the environmental sensibilities involved in "paper v plastic," please take those to Fratching.
                    Can I have a link please?
                    MMO Addicts group

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
                      Can I have a link please?
                      Ask and ye shall receive: http://www.fratching.com.

Enjoy!
                      Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth Jacen View Post
                        Does your store (and the OPs store) offer those special cooler bags? They're only about 3 or 4 AUD I believe :P
                        My store does sell those special cooler bags (they can also be used to keep food hot, btw) but many people don't want to buy them. However, some do take my advice and thank me for it.
                        "...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?!" ~ Kalga

"DO NOT ENRAGE THE MIGHTY SKY DRAGON." ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
                          For those who don't know, Whole Foods recently did away with plastic grocery bags company wide, starting on Earth Day 2008 (earlier if stores ran out of plastic bags early).

I did manage to cram a $700 order into a Miata the other day - 3 shopping carts full of bags. All those years of playing Tetris came in handy...
                          I love Whole Foods and it's a damn good thing it's on the other side of town, 14 miles, away from me!

And how the hell did you fit all that in a Miata! Those things look like glandular Tic-Tacs!

Quoth bean View Post
                          Actually, I do have a pile of plastic bags in a drawer.

But they do get used - for the litter box. And Whole Foods is NOT the only retailer I shop at, plenty of other retailers still insist on giving me plastic bags. It'll take me at least a year to go through the pile of bags I have now, assuming I don't re-use them for groceries.

I do take bags (reusable and plastic) with me for groceries, but usually forget when I do stuff like pick up stuff from Petco or Home Depot.
                          I re-use the plastic bags I get, too. Not for litter since I don't have a cat! Mostly in the trash can in the bathroom. And for stuff that I put in the freezer (because it will stink if I put it in the regular trash) until I have a chance to take it out to the dumpster. I've got a re-usable, insulated bag from Trader Joe's....that I forget to take with me every damn time!
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
                            I just use a cellulouse based litter. Scoop it up, put it in the toilet, wait 2 mins to let it 'unclump' then flush
                            Brand name please. I've tried the clay based ones that say they are flushable. Once in a while was OK, but when done regularly it was a disaster.
                            Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

This is the stuff MH
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
                              X