Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Once upon a time, at a great fair of old...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once upon a time, at a great fair of old...

So I've just come back from two days at a fair out in the middle of Freaking Cold Ville. It's in essence, the start of the re-enactment season for our state, so most of us try to get to it.

Surprisingly, the actual suck for us was minimal. We had no stupid questions for once (apart from a couple of fellow re-enactors/LARPers from other groups who were being smartasses ), but there was still a few incidents of suck. Here we go!

What's the point of advertising an opening time?!

This appears to be a fairly common occurrence for us at the three big events we do. Every year, they advertise that the gates will open from a certain time and closed from a certain time. We use this as a reliable indicator of when we need to garb up and set up the displays. Every freaking time however, the people at the gate get so frigging bored that they go ahead and let people in anyway before the official opening time. Just WHY?!?!?!

There's this magical device called a bin...

Heard this one second-hand from a merchant buddy of ours. Apparently people kept missing the very prominently marked (and empty) bins and had no issues leaving some of their rubbish around. While food wrappers were semi-understandable, apparently more than one parent had no issue leaving their kids nappies out for the world to deal with. Because walking over to the very prominently marked bins was too much for them -_-

Just go and ruin it for yourself why don't you?

This one was from last year, but we were warned about it no less than three times over the course of the weekend. Last year, someone (not sure if it was from the displays or otherwise) ended up indecently assaulting two children. That person was understandably banned from the event, but because their wife was fairly high up on the committee, we suspected that they would've gotten in anyway.

(Two of our members had very young children with them, so we mandated that they had to stick together or otherwise go with an adult if they wanted to go anywhere)

Classy Romans!

One of our soon-to-be former members joined a Roman group, who had their debut at this event. While they were MOSTLY pleasant (there were some issues with them not understanding what a noise curfew meant), apparently said soon-to-be former member wound up basically trash-talking us, resulting in our quartermaster and president having to intervene and set them straight. It was quite effective, as the Romans ended up going to the quartermaster for some re-enactment supplies in the end.

ETA: Apparently said former member also had opted to wear a fox on his head. Rather than speaking to the taxidermists (there were at least two on-site and if he hadn't been a jerkass to half of our club, we would've also pointed him in the right direction) about getting a fox pelt to wear, he basically took a stuffed animal and skinned it. Much mocking ensued

(To clarify, it wasn't the fact that he'd used fake fur to begin with, it was the fact that he a) used so much fake fur that it was obvious and b) he skinned a STUFFED ANIMAL!)

Wibbly-wobbly, wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey...

And the final suck came in terms of general timelines. Specifically:

- First night we were informed that half of the floodlights would cut out at 9:30, then the other floodlights would cut out at 9:45pm (basically a "get to bed" rule). Well, instead what actually happened was that ALL of the flood lights cut out at 9:30 on the first night.

- On the final day, we got briefed that "soft pack up" was around 30 minutes prior to close (basically start packing everything in your tents or displays) and then cars/trucks etc. would be on-site from closing time. People apparently thought that "Soft pack up" meant "Bring your cars on-site anyway."
    Last edited by LadyofArc; 05-04-2019, 11:27 AM.

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
    While food wrappers were semi-understandable, apparently more than one parent had no issue leaving their kids nappies out for the world to deal with. Because walking over to the very prominently marked bins was too much for them -_-
    "This is supposed to be medieval times, since when did they have trash bins everywhere? Everyone used to just toss their trash wherever!" X_X

People like that ought to have to deal with cloth diapers, and have to wash them beating them on a rock. :P

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
      "This is supposed to be medieval times, since when did they have trash bins everywhere? Everyone used to just toss their trash wherever!" X_X

People like that ought to have to deal with cloth diapers, and have to wash them beating them on a rock. :P
      This was from the general public, NOT the re-enactors surprisingly. Most of the re-enactors with very small children got a bit pissy last year (understandably) with the cannons not going off at the times they were told.

The event itself is actually not a medieval one specifically - it's more a mix of re-enactment in general combined with a very upscale craft fair and basically a place for cosplayers and other artists (performance or otherwise) to show off. The costumes themselves are amazing!

Sadly, only one event got missed in our camp: one of our members a few years back dressed up in his monks garb, put on his plague mask and did the chicken dance in it. He'd hoped to recreate it over the next two days with our OTHER monks in the group, but it never eventuated.
      Last edited by LadyofArc; 04-29-2019, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post

And what's up with these bathrooms and port-a-potties? In those days people just found a nice big bush to do their business!
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          ... found a nice big bush to do their business!
          Bushwa!

"In days of old when knights were bold and toilets weren't invented
          They dropped their load in themiddle of the road and strode away... contented"
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I need to wipe, someone pass me a rabbit!
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
              This one was from last year, but we were warned about it no less than three times over the course of the weekend. Last year, someone (not sure if it was from the displays or otherwise) ended up indecently assaulting two children. That person was understandably banned from the event, but because their wife was fairly high up on the committee, we suspected that they would've gotten in anyway.

(Two of our members had very young children with them, so we mandated that they had to stick together or otherwise go with an adult if they wanted to go anywhere)
              Can we just pause for a second here so I can ask why this person didn't have charges brought against them? It shouldn't be up to the event staff to decide if this person is banned, the cops should be involved. TWO children? No charges? Why?
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                Can we just pause for a second here so I can ask why this person didn't have charges brought against them? It shouldn't be up to the event staff to decide if this person is banned, the cops should be involved. TWO children? No charges? Why?
                This. This this this this this this THIS.

Comment

Those who prey on children will be surrendered to the authorities in damaged condition. ("No idea how he managed to fall on his face into a post.... 15 times, Officer.")

Those who shield such predators... don't need to be holding positions of power/authority. (Unless, of course, this is a guard, watching over his wards)

Comment

This especially hits home for me because another young child in my area was killed last week by the adults "caring" for him. That makes three in about a year.

And the person who was suspected of dishing out most of the abuse used to be a temp at my workplace. I never would've suspected she would do such a thing. Scary.

ETA: I was wrong. Four in about a year.
                    Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 05-03-2019, 02:32 PM.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I don't know the full story here, but I would assume that charges were brought against him. As he was just a member of the public attending rather than a re-enactor or anything like that, I don't think they would've been able to do much else.

I did also mention the whole situation with the guy's wife, so there's some other politics going on there.

Comment

Working...
                      X