This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV advice

Several years ago, I got a great deal on a LARGE used TV. I love it. It works perfectly.

The only issue is, sometimes when I play a newer DVD, the sound isn't what it should be. I know that this happens with DVDs issued in the past several years, because they're meant to be played on TVs with about a million different speakers. Mine, though, isn't set up like that.

So. What's the best way to work with it? Should I see if I can buy some cheap speakers to hook up to it? Would it be better to invest in a set of headphones with a long cord? How do I do this?

Advice welcomed.

Go into the audio portion on the menu. You may have it set for surround sound not normal. Some times the wording is different but you should be able to figure it out.

Comment

I've messed around with the audio settings quite a bit; nothing has helped. I think it's that this TV is older than those DVDs.

Comment

It's not a fault with the TV, it's just how the movies are mastered. Aside from turning the volume up, there's really no fix. You'll have the same problems with that as you would with headphones, i.e. sometimes it'll still be too quiet and other times it'll suddenly be way too loud...
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quickest fix would be to buy a soundbar and hook it to the TV's optical output. That's the odd squarish jack in the back, nearly all HDTVs have it. That will decode all the latest audio formats digitally.

Comment

I tried watching the movie on my computer, with headphones, and the sound was fine. I don't know if the TV has an optical output; I'll take a look. I managed to get a photo of the back that shows the audio output, which I can post here (this TV is HEAVY, and I had to put my arm behind it rather than try to move it.

Comment

Here it is! I hope it's clear enough.
              Last edited by Eireann; 07-21-2019, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Classic RCA jack, standard out. It could easily be connected to a stereo amplifier that has available input jacks.

I am guessing that it is an old tube set. Is it more than 3 inches thick?
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Okay, yeah, that's analog audio out. But if the headphones are working, that ought to be working too. A soundbar plugged into optical might produce more nifty output but that ought to do you good.

This is a "toslink" digital optical output jack.

This is the cable you use to connect to it. Most soundbars I've seen lately come with a short cable. (They'll also come with a cable you can plug into those RCA jacks.)

Note that my advice pertains to the US, your country may vary.

Comment

The TV is a Panasonic Viera TH-42PA30, if that helps. It was made before they started making plasma TVs thinner and easier to handle. Damn, is it heavy.

There's a jack in the front of the TV for headphones, as well as a PC jack and a card reader. And some video jacks. The jack for the headphones is the only audio output on the front.

And, in keeping with the I Have Old Equipment theme, about a year ago I came into possession of a stereo with - get ready! - a dual cassette deck. The back of the stereo does have two jacks. Would any cables manufactured these days be compatible with the stereo?

Comment

Here are docs for your TV
                      https://www.manualslib.com/manual/64...duct-TH-42PA30

As you found the headphone jack in the front, you know have that option.

As for the stereo, if those jack are "audio in", you should be good. See here. You should be able to find RCA cables.
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Oh, I have the user manual, so that's okay. But thanks! I just wanted to let you kind people know what type of TV it is, so you could see for yourselves.

As far as I can see, those jacks are "audio in".

Comment

Working...
                        X