This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job security

My job is in no way related to tech support. However, my bosses are all fairly tech illiterate (and we just upgraded them - but not me! - to Office 2010 and Windows 7, so there goes their familiarity with their computers!) so I seem like a freaking genius comparatively.

Has anyone ever seen that episode of "The IT Crowd" where Jen asks Roy to install a browser for her, and he tells her that Internet Explorer is her browser, and she says something to the effect of "That big E? No, that's the button for the Internet!" and Roy flips his shit?

Well, I had just seen it. It was hilarious. So when my 60-something boss came out of her office to inform me that "It keeps telling me to close my browser. What's a browser? Do I need one? Can you give me one? Why is it tellimg me that? What does it MEAN?!?!?" I tried so desperately not to laugh at her that I choked on my gum and nearly threw up.

But on the plus side, so long as she can't remember that she can Google anything she has a question about, I'll never be out of a job.

And the other boss keeps asking me how to cut & paste. For reals.

Well, the problem is that people like this don't know what they don't know. So they don't realize how boned they will be if they lay you off or let you find greener pastures.

Comment

Quoth Skeen View Post
      But on the plus side, so long as she can't remember that she can Google anything she has a question about, I'll never be out of a job.
      And this is why I look like an IT GOD compared to my co workers...
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I know, right? Everyone is sitting in front of the same internet that you and I are. How come nobody ever thinks to google anything?

Comment

Because they can't tell the difference between a search engine field and an address bar, or between a search engine and the internet. A lot of people don't even understand the concept of a search engine. Literally the deepest understanding some people have is that they type where they want to go into the box and it goes. It may or may not be a real web address, but they get something regardless.

Comment

Quoth Skeen View Post
            And the other boss keeps asking me how to cut & paste. For reals.
            It's been noted for many years by IT people that for some reason, computers seem to suck the IQ out of people at the oddest moments. They have no problems driving a car, or following complex instructions away from computers, but hand them a simple login prompt and they can't figure out what to do.

As long as there are people immune to the brain sucking effect, there will be money to be made in IT...

Comment

Hey..what does this button that says "Power" do? *hits button with a mallet*
              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

oh dear

I know in my job I'm not allowed to fix anything. Sure I know how, if I don't I could google a solution, but if anything ever goes wrong with that computer it'll definitely be because I cleared the browser history 3 months ago and thats how we got a virus.

I just IM tech support and let them remote into my computer and fix it.
                Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Within the past three months, I have had to teach someone how to capitalize words in MS-Word. They have been working here longer than I have, and use the computer everyday.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                    Within the past three months, I have had to teach someone how to capitalize words in MS-Word. They have been working here longer than I have, and use the computer everyday.
                    :astonished:

have they never had to.. communicate with anyone through email, type up memos.. etc?
                    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I've got a good one, from back in my days at The Restaurant.

It started out as a typical day at The Restaurant, I was passing the time by joking around with the chefs, chatting up the bar tender, and occasionally bothering to actually do some work. Anywhoo... My boss (who owned The Restaurant) called down to the dining room and requested my immediate attendance in his office. I arrived thusly:

Boss: "RD, I think my computer has got a virus."
                      Me: "Oh?"
                      Boss: "Yes. I'm trying to send an email, but i can't. When i type, the cursor moves, but no letters appear."
                      Me (already knowing what the issue is): "Orf.. Ok... I'll have a look at it. Go sell some expensive wine to table 18, by the time you get back i should have it sorted out."
                      Boss: ".. alright" *exits stage right*
                      Me: *sets the font color to black over white, as opposed to white over white, plays a hand of Solitaire, then goes back to work*

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                        ...teach someone how to capitalize words in MS-Word...
                        Quoth Whiskey View Post
                        have they never had to.. communicate with anyone through email, type up memos.. etc?
                        Just plain shift-less.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth RestaurantDude View Post
                          Me (already knowing what the issue is)
                          Not the first (or last) time he'd changed the text color, I take it?

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            Just plain shift-less.
                            Boo! <Throws [empty] Mountain Dew bottles>
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                              I know, right? Everyone is sitting in front of the same internet that you and I are. How come nobody ever thinks to google anything?
                              After 2 years of my desk being in the same office as the sales associates, one of them finally cottoned to the fact that the reason I have an answer for nearly everything is that as soon as I hear them talking about something, I Google it up so when they get to the point of asking me, I've got an answer already.

And, yet, they still come to me with questions, even though they know that all I do is type a query into Google.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X