Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hold onto the backups or this kid's gonna lose her shirt in very short order...
    "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
    - H. Beam Piper

Comment

I still have to ask Big Boss what to do about the backups. Either way, I think I'll probably copy them over to my PC, just in case.
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Update the Nth.

So, yesterday, I walked into my office and found the externals on my back desk, and the LoDD on my chair.

Sigh.

I set it aside, and work on the runner up to the title of LoDD. During it, I started copying files from the externals to my hard drive.

I finally finish it, and have no excuse but to move to the LoDD.

So, I turn it on and turn back around to CS chat while it boots. As expected, I got a little distracted. Big Boss comes in for the day, and sticks his head in my office, and gets this panicked look on his face. I turn around, and the LoDD is doing a disk check. I told him that, and he calmed down. So, he went upstairs and I waited for the disk check to finish.

I turn it on, and it goes back to installing HP software. I , it fails... AGAIN. When it reboots, I go into safe mode and turn off the two startup services we turned off before. Reboot, and (angelic choir) ahhhhaaa!!! (/angelic choir) desktop.

I notice the pop up from Windows Security saying there was no AV installed, which was odd, because Big Boss said he installed AVG. (Which, I did grimace when he told me that he told me). So, I start over to check My Documents to see if the files he spent several hours transferring were there. And... BAM! Reboot. I sigh, and wait. Then I'm presented with a request to please wait while Windows starts. I wait, and wait, and wait. Finally I'm presented with.... Windows Setup screen????

What the heck, so I went through Windows setup. It finished, popped up a message asking me if the computer could access Windows Updates for drivers.. which I said, sure, why not? It briefly popped up a message about the CD drive drivers.... AND....................... BAM. Shutdown.

At that point, I gave up, since I was planning on heading home early, sent out an email to Big boss and manager, put the LoDD in Manager's office, was about to head out, when I realized Manager was missing, and AAFH had just gone to lunch.

So, I was stuck there for another hour. :: pouts ::

Manager and AAFH walked back in together. I talked to Manager, who said that she was just going to hand it back to Big Boss.

I took today off. YAY!

Just a minute ago, I got an email from Manager to me and Big Boss. "I gave her the working laptop and she was thrilled it worked so well. Apparently the laptop was used in Iraq by her brother so it has had quite a life. It's offically out of our hands, and she sends her much appreciated thanks to you both."

AND... DONE!

Comment

Every time I read this thread's title I get a mental image involving T.A & a barrel...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

:P at dalesys.

Jenni, who enjoys double entendre.

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
              Jenni, who enjoys double entendre.
              In that case, isn't it double intendre?

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                In that case, isn't it double intendre?
                Nope, it's like Nanny Og. They're really more "single intenders"

Comment

So when is Terry going to publish The Nanny Ogg Songbook?

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                    (Yes, start making fun of my hourly wage.. you have the right.)
                    Hourly is a good thing. Think of it like protection. "You want that three-hour project done before I leave? I didn't get a chance to start on it, but sure! Just let me clock in real quick... oh look at that, overtime."

If you're salaried, that kind of conversation is a LOT more awkward.

Comment

Quoth Magpie View Post
                      Nope, it's like Nanny Og. They're really more "single intenders"
                      Quoth dalesys View Post
                      So when is Terry going to publish The Nanny Ogg Songbook?
                      If he ever does it'll probably consist of an entire book looking like the 'Etiquette in the bedroom' section of her cookbook, pinned notes and everything
                      It's like trying to get laid by showing a girl your resume.
                      Look, I was good at Biology and Woodwork.
                      So I know where stuff is and I'm good with my hands.

- Dan, The Gruen Transfer

Comment

Quoth roothorick View Post
                        Hourly is a good thing. Think of it like protection. "You want that three-hour project done before I leave? I didn't get a chance to start on it, but sure! Just let me clock in real quick... oh look at that, overtime."

If you're salaried, that kind of conversation is a LOT more awkward.
                        No, just a little unfortunate. We have a code freeze at start-of-business Monday, and all the bugs have to be closed by then. There are still about 40ish bugs in the system, so I get to work all weekend. ...yay.
                        "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

Comment

Why are you still working on the same laptop?

At some point you need to declare it to be a lost cause. Sometimes if the machine is ruined, its ruined.

You need to channel your inner Bones McCoy.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                            Why are you still working on the same laptop?
                            Cause I heart my job!

Big boss says to jump, and I do.

Comment

It would be sooo worth it to find a look alike laptop and put it on your boss's desk with a note, look whats back

Comment

So the LoDD is done? It's gone?

Comment

Working...
                                X