No announcement yet.

What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you seen the series with Derek Jacobi? I loved it so much. He was an utterly perfect Cadfael.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

• Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
      Have you seen the series with Derek Jacobi? I loved it so much. He was an utterly perfect Cadfael.
      It's been ages, probably since it was actually on PBS Mystery. Might see if it's streaming anywhere or at the library!
      Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
      They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

• I'm just listening to the Cadfael audiobooks- at the most I'm working through The Virgin in the Ice

If you're interested in that sort of time period, may I recommended Bernard Knight's Crowner John series-John de Wolfe is appointed by King Richard in the new office of Coroner and so has to deal with all sorts of unexplained deaths on his travels,as well as keeping his wife and mistress happy, accompanied by his sidekicks-a bodyguard who deals with any unruly or annoying people at inquests and a defrocked clerk who is attempting to get frocked again and teach his master how to read and write. The fact it's set around Devon and the majority of that is around Exeter is especially interesting for me as I can picture all the local places mentioned
        Oh and Mr. Knight just happens to be a Home Office coroner so he knows what he's talking about in the way of corpses and their behaviour.
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Murderbot Diaries #6 just dropped....
          There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

• I have momentarily dropped They Also Ran in favour of a monster tome (700+ pages, not counting footnotes and citations and such) titled Six Wives: The Queens of Henry VIII by David Starkey. In a pinch, if somebody breaks into my apartment, I can also use it as weapon.
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• Quoth Pixelated View Post
              ... I can also use it as weapon.
              Throw the book at him!
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I have momentarily dropped They Also Ran in favour of a monster tome (700+ pages, not counting footnotes and citations and such) titled Six Wives: The Queens of Henry VIII by David Starkey. In a pinch, if somebody breaks into my apartment, I can also use it as weapon.
                One of our members had the six wives as their avatar.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• That would be Antisocial Worker.
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    One of our members had the six wives as their avatar.
                    I remember that.

I went to one of my storage units the other day and rummaged through a random box of books. Oooh, the treasures I found! I'm now reading The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov.
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I remember that.

I went to one of my storage units the other day and rummaged through a random box of books. Oooh, the treasures I found! I'm now reading The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov.
                      Did you read The Caves of Steel first? It is not necessary but does serve to introduce the main characters. I reread both novels recently, having read them both way back when.

I also reread the Foundation Trilogy, and then read the prequels and sequels that Asimov wrote. I still need to read the second foundation sequel series: Foundation's Fear by Gregory Benford, Foundation and Chaos by Greg Bear, and Foundation's Triumph by David Brin.

Comment

I remember that.
                        Oooh, the treasures I found! I'm now reading The Naked Sun
                        Whereas I am displaying my treasures I found(to many ooohs!) by reading naked in the sun
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                          Did you read The Caves of Steel first? It is not necessary but does serve to introduce the main characters. I reread both novels recently, having read them both way back when.

I also reread the Foundation Trilogy, and then read the prequels and sequels that Asimov wrote. I still need to read the second foundation sequel series: Foundation's Fear by Gregory Benford, Foundation and Chaos by Greg Bear, and Foundation's Triumph by David Brin.
                          You know, I don't think I've ever read Caves of Steel. I think that particular case is mentioned in Naked Sun ... will have to get hold of a copy somewhere.

I don't have Asimov's Foundation prequels or sequels ... what did you think of them? And what did you think of the trilogy written by Benford, Bear and Brin? I didn't even know they existed.

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                          Whereas I am displaying my treasures I found(to many ooohs!) by reading naked in the sun
                          Photos or it didn't happen!
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

• I am diving back into Joseph Campbell with The Power of Myth, which apparently has a lot of material that was cut from the PBS series.

i wish I had known mythologist was a real job back when I was choosing a major.
                            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I don't have Asimov's Foundation prequels or sequels ... what did you think of them? And what did you think of the trilogy written by Benford, Bear and Brin? I didn't even know they existed.
                              For those not familiar, Asimov’s Foundation Trilogy is a set of three novels published in the early 1950s. They are a classic of science fiction.

Foundation (1951) is a collection of four stories, originally published between 1942 and 1944, plus an introductory section written for the book in 1949.
                              Foundation and Empire (1952) is made up of two stories, originally published in 1945.
                              Second Foundation (1953) is made up of two stories, originally published in 1945.

The two prequels are: Prelude to Foundation (1988) and Forward the Foundation (1993)
                              The two sequels are: Foundation's Edge (1982) and Foundation and Earth (1986).

I think the prequels give a good explanation of how the Foundations came into being, and the political and social issues that led to their formation.

I do not think the sequels are as good as the other novels. They are good stories in and of themselves, but did not explore the fate of the empire far enough into the future.

I have not read the trilogy written by Benford, Bear and Brin.

Discussions (and spoilers) of these novels are in the Wikipedia article linked above.

Comment

• I recently finished reading a pretty meh book called The Bug Wars by Robert Aspirin.

Next up, on recommendation of my fiancé, I'm reading the first in the Garrett P.I. series, Sweet Silver Blues, by Glen Cook. I'm enjoying it so far, and my fiancé has quite a few of the books, so I'm probably going to keep reading the series until I get through it all. It's a hard-boiled detective story set in a fantasy world.
                                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                                X