This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was awful

I often go to live performances by a local theatrical group. They have an improvisational show on a regular basis.

It may be some time before I can go to one of those again.

Tonight's show was a comedy show - and all improv. The audience took part, suggesting themes for the skits. Each skit was based on a theme suggested by an audience member.

I was having a good time until the group asked for a theme. Some jackass suggested that the skit be about a #MeToo victim and her victimizer.

Really.

One of the guys (the group was all guys) got a serious look on his face and said that he didn't know if they could make anything funny out of that (gee, ya think?). He asked if anyone objected to it. I raised my hand instantly.

Even though they had received other ideas for the skit, they went with the #MeToo one. I don't know why I didn't get up and leave immediately, but I didn't. And as the distinctly unfunny skit wore on, I felt worse and worse. Finally, I gathered my things together and walked out (with one of the group saying, "Oh, we lost her" as I went).

I still can't believe this happened. The group didn't want to do the skit, they had other audience ideas for it, only one person had suggested this idea, and they went with it anyway.

I've been thinking about the things that have happened to me that make me a member of #MeToo, about the things that have happened to family, friends... and these guys were making fun of it. And just as terrible, nobody else in the audience objected to it. Not one. I was surrounded by people who saw nothing wrong in it. That's one of the reasons why I left.

All sorts of buttons were pushed tonight. All kinds of horrible memories have flooded back. And all because I went to what I thought would be a comedy show.

That probably rates a call to the group's leader and/or manager. They were violating one of the Sacred Rules of Comedy, namely "don't punch down".

Comment

I'm wondering if they thought they were "pushing the envelope." That's a dangerous tactic, since the person/people can push the damn envelope right off the table. I also have to wonder how many others actually thought it was NOT funny but were either reluctant to say so, or only came to that conclusion at the end of the skit.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

What gets me is, they didn't look or act like they wanted to do it. And they asked us, the audience, if anyone objected, in a way that strongly suggested they hoped the entire audience would object, and then they wouldn't "have" to do it.

There is no real leader or manager of the group, so I wouldn't be able to call anybody. I spent hours thinking of what they did, what it meant, and how it affected me in particular. I wondered how eager they would be to do that kind of skit if, say, Asia Argento happened to be in the audience.

An acquaintance of mine was there that night - I didn't see her - and later texted me that she understood why I left. As far as I know, I was the only one who did. I'm still upset that my departure was used to get a laugh. I wasn't in the skit; if they want to use me as part of the act, they'll have to pay me.

Comment

What gets me is, they didn't look or act like they wanted to do it. And they asked us, the audience, if anyone objected, in a way that strongly suggested they hoped the entire audience would object, and then they wouldn't "have" to do it.
          I suspect a "Trip to Abilene" may have happened there. That's a classic group dysfunction where nobody actually wants to do a thing, but everyone thinks they're outweighed by those who do.

Comment

Oh god. That was just awful. How can people be so wretched? I've been for years of the opinion that 'funny' just isn't really funny, but hurtful in thin disguise. But it's even worse when it triggers a good friend. Inexcusable.
            Last edited by Kristev; 01-07-2020, 09:56 PM.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

While the group does not have a leader, a message to the group itself or the owner of the theater/venue may provide a way to educate them to their mistake.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I am so sorry that happened to you. There are just some things that are not funny and should not be mocked.
                By the way #MeToo
                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                  I am so sorry that happened to you. There are just some things that are not funny and should not be mocked.
                  By the way #MeToo
                  Yeah, I wish these guys realized that #MeToo isn't a vague concept. It has happened to every woman they know. It happens to teenagers. It happens to little girls.

Comment

So many straight men don't see that. Many's the tale I've heard of men who resist the Me Too movement, until they learn from their mother or sister that it's happened to her - and may not have stopped.
                    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I've even known gay men who didn't keep their hands to themselves as far as women were concerned. Some of the men were out. Some - well, since they weren't out, I don't know for certain that they were gay, though I strongly suspect it. And I've known men, both gay and straight, who simply loathed women.

Comment

Working...
                      X