This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All in one day...

So I started my own jewelry business. Doing Conventions, Art shows, etc. We decided to do a county fair.

I am sorry if it is a bit wordy. I wanted to get this out before I crash for the night.

I know the Owner:

So I am sitting in my booth. A lady comes up looks at our sign and says..."I know the owners, they give me discounts." I tip my head and ask where I met her before. She tells me I don't know you, but I know the owners personally. I shake my head and say I am sorry I don't remember you. She says "Well, that is because you are new." I politely say "I am sorry. I think you may be thinking of another booth. I am the owner." She gets indignant and stalks away.

It's for charity anyways

(I have a line of jewelry I make with hope ribbons and donate the profits to a cancer research hospital in my area. I do custom orders in my booth.)

A woman comes up asking the different colors for different illnesses. I use the sign posted in the booth to tell her what the colors are.

She tells me she wants something to represent 4 different things. I suggest a key pendant. Nope. Necklace? Nope. Bracelet? Nope. Earrings? You guessed it. Nope.

Finally she decides on a necklace. I get it all laid out, figure out the style, colors etc. She kept this whole time changing her mind on what she wanted represented. (At this point, my easy going husband is frustrated and wants to walk away)

Before I start to make it, I tell her the price. She looks me dead in the eyes and says "Well if the money is going to charity, you can just give it to me."

I repeat the price, tell her cash or charge and I need payment up front. She huffs out of the booth mumbling that because she has a sick kid she doesn't need to pay.
    Last edited by AmethystSquirrel; 08-04-2013, 04:23 AM.
    You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Ah, the entertainment (?!) of entitlement ...

Comment

I get that "charity means payment is optional" so many times at the meters. On Wednesday this week, if I had my ticket machine when I saw this one woman and her kids who directly said that to me, I would have written the thing right in front of her and probably just handed the thing to her.
      Low lie the Fields of Athenry/ Where once we watched the small free birds fly/ Our love was on the wing/ we had dreams and songs to sing/ It's so lonely around the Fields of Athenry

Comment

I know at Really Big Craft Show because the prices for a booth are so high, that the vast majority of vendors there are big businesses instead of local crafters. And most people know this, so they act the same as they would at a big store.

I've heard:
        "Do you have any more in the back?"
        "How many of this style of quilt do you have in stock?"
        "Can I talk to the owner?"
        "You don't have the color I like, can I have a discount?"

I feel your pain.
        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Does that freeloader not get the concept of charity? How can you get the money to donate if you just give your stuff away? Entitled cow...and sick child, my ass. Sick of her, maybe....

Anyway, congratz on starting your own business! Yeah, the customers will still suck but at least your boss won't!

Comment

Quoth mysticgirl5 View Post

Anyway, congratz on starting your own business! Yeah, the customers will still suck but at least your boss won't!
            My boss can be a real B***h sometimes. But I take her out for coffee, or give her chocolate and she tends to mellow a little.
            You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Quoth AmethystSquirrel View Post
              My boss can be a real B***h sometimes.
              My dad used to say that when he owned an insurance agency....come to think of it, the word he used was mostly asshole.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

"I am sorry. I think you may be thinking of another booth. I am the owner."
                "Squirrel hits the pitch hard.....it's traveling....it is high....it is far....it is GONE!!!"

She looks me dead in the eyes and says "Well if the money is going to charity, you can just give it to me."
                "How about I charitably tell you to go fuck yourself, you greedy, selfish, cheap piece of shit?"

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  "Squirrel hits the pitch hard.....it's traveling....it is high....it is far....it is GONE!!!"

"How about I charitably tell you to go fuck yourself, you greedy, selfish, cheap piece of shit?"
                  This is what we love about you, Jester. You pull noooo punches. Ever.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    This is what we love about you, Jester. You pull noooo punches. Ever.
                    I have to agree. Jester makes us all look at things in a better light and laugh.

Comment

Working...
                    X