This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You Didn't Even Try"

We IT folk have a lot of talents when it comes to fixing your various computer issues. To the non-savvy, we seem like wizards, able to get your "busted" computer to work again, or rescuing your "lost" work from the depths of cyber-hell.

But there are limitations. Usually the result of the technology.

For instance, if your computer is utterly frozen, not responding to any input-- keyboard or mouse-- and your monitor picture doesn't change at all, then it's gonna need a reboot to un-stick it, most likely. And this means that whatever you were working on, you're going to lose everything since your last save, most likely.

This is an immutable fact about computers. If you don't save it, then it's pretty much gone after a reboot, particularly if you were relying on the auto-save, which just sticks the document in the "temp" folders on The Client's computers.

Today, I took a call from the SC with the problem described above. No input was accepted by her computer. It was frozen. She wanted to know if I could save her work before she had to attempt the reboot. I told her that, unfortunately, no, I couldn't.

Well, she didn't like that. I apologized, explaining that the limitations of the system prevent me from doing anything. She tried to say that "you have ways to do it," and I had to tell her that I don't "when your computer is frozen like this." When even Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work, I can't "unstick" whatever command is freezing your computer.

SC: "You could at least try."

I protested again that I can't, that there is literally nothing else I can do. (If there are methods of unfreezing her computer without losing her work, then either I don't have access to them, or they have been disabled for security reasons on our network.) I again told her that she'll have to reboot.

SC: "You could at least try."

I apologized again and again explained that I can't. That there is nothing I can do that will work.

She said she'd reboot and thanked me. And then, as she hung up, I could hear her say, "You didn't even try."

You know what, lady? FUCK YOU. It would be wonderful if technology could work the way you want it to work, but guess what? While you're at The Client, the technology is going to work the way The Client wants it to work. And even then, The Client is constrained by the technology's limitations. What you want to happen just won't happen.

Don't assume you know how IT assistance does its job, or assume that we have powers that we don't.

If I'm telling you that I can't do it, then I can't do it. If I don't "try," then there's a reason for that. It's because nothing I "try" is going to work.

Which would you rather have, lady? That I waste your time and mine throwing techniques at the wall, and see them all fail, after which you'll just have to reboot anyway and then spend more time reconstructing your lost work?

Or just reboot from the get-go and get down to the reconstruction?

Seriously, don't take that tone with me. I'm irritated enough at work right now as it is with our Internet access disabled.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

"My house is on fire. Can you slap it out
    With your hands?"

"No, that won't work."

"Can you at least try?"
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
      "My hoochy is on fire. Can you slap it out with your hands?"
      Ma'am, in your case, I'll use a shovel.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

With the PEBKAC error, there is no "try".

Comment

No, she didn't even try.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Actually, she's right - you didn't even try. In cases like this, you have to go to the computer, wave a dead chicken over it three times, chant to the gods Gates and Jobs, and sacrifice a virgin. So, no, you didn't try EVERYthing, did you?

And then you have to realize, even though hell desk is the hardest and most stressful IT job, it's also the lowest paid. Why is that? (I hope I never have to go back to the hell desk. I'm so much happier as a computer operator - my only real interaction is with people who know what's what.)
            I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
              And then you have to realize, even though hell desk is the hardest and most stressful IT job, it's also the lowest paid. Why is that?
              To give an honest answer, it comes down to supply and demand. More people can do Helpdesk than, say, Server Admin. Most industries have pay scales related to the number of people floating around with the skills to handle the job. Its not 100% true in all industries or places, but things generally follow that rule.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Walk up to the computer.
                Push the reset button.
                Note that the work did not save.
                "I tried but it didn't work."
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                  "My house is on fire. Can you slap it out
                  With your hands?"

"No, that won't work."

"Can you at least try?"
                  I think a better analogy would be calling the fire department and telling them: "My house just burned down, could you just put it back the way it was for me?"

"not if it's already burned down"

"Well, can't you TRY????"
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                    With the PEBKAC error, there is no "try".
                    No but there is a
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I would have asked her, "Try what, exactly?" Since she's obviously so much smarter than you, right?
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Agreed. I might have said, "Try? Try WHAT? You HAVE to reset it in order to fix the issue. There are no other alternatives!", or, "I'll try fixing it when you try pushing the power button to reset it. Now, Is it off yet? Is it off yet? Is it off yet?"

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
                          Actually, she's right - you didn't even try. In cases like this, you have to go to the computer, wave a dead chicken over it three times, chant to the gods Gates and Jobs, and sacrifice a virgin. So, no, you didn't try EVERYthing, did you?
                          Just be sure not to wave the chicken the wrong number of times. Twice summons the paperclip. Four times changes the OS to Microsoft Bob...

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                            I would have asked her, "Try what, exactly?" Since she's obviously so much smarter than you, right?
                            This is when they say, "I don't know! YOU'RE the expert! Why won't you do your job?" Etc., etc., blah blah blah....
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Grendus View Post
                              Just be sure not to wave the chicken the wrong number of times. Twice summons the paperclip. Four times changes the OS to Microsoft Bob...
                              Ugh, you just HAD to remind me of MS-Bob, didn't you?

Even Packard-Bell's Navigator was better.

Comment

Working...
                              X