This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh what a night...

After going what seemed like an eternity without having anything worthwhile to post on here here are the tales of what happened last night at the petrol station I work at.

Why It's about time we joined the 21st century

First was a someone who after he had filled up his car was sat in there for ages on his phone. When he eventually came and got to the front of the queue he told me that he had lost his debit card, so I had to get one of the forms that we have to fill in on occasions like these. My CW, who was out on the shop floor at the time, asked me which pump he was on and was about to come back to the till to do the form with him so I could carry on seeing to the queue of customers.

I have just found the forms from one of the shelves underneath the desk, but what is this? He is now standing there with his debit card! "oh don't worry, I've found it" he says, and uses his card to pay for his fuel.

Not long after that I had someone whose card declined. He went out to the cash machine next to the door and then came back in asking if he could fill out one of our forms, which immediately told me that he had done this before and that he damn well knew that his card was going to decline.

My CW filed out the form with him recognised him as she had to do the same with him the previous time he was in.

If we thought that we would get anywhere we would ask the management to consider bringing in a prepay system, but we really would just be wasting our breath.

The Sack? For doing our job? Really?

Me and CW both notice that someone is on his mobile phone so we don't authorise his pump. CW eventually says over the tannoy to put his mobile down so he did and I authorised the pump, only to see less than 10 seconds later that he was back on his phone again so I stopped it. He eventually comes off his phone and I reauthorise.

When he came into the shop he started to voice his displeasure...

SG = Sulky Git
    CW = Coworker
    M = Me

SG - "Why can't I use the phone? You seem to have a fucking problem with me! First it was the money and now this! I'll get you sacked for this!"
    CW - "Don't swear at me"
    SG - "Why can't I use the phone?"
    CW - "Don't swear at me"
    repeat for a while
    SG- "Why can't I use the phone? It's a plastic phone!"
    CW - "It can cause a spark"
    SG - "It can't! It's a plastic phone"
    CW - "It can!"
    repeat for a while
    SG - " You're more likely to cause a spark from your clothes than from a phone!"
    M - "Look, it just isn't allowed"
    SG - "Don't you start"

By then he had paid for his fuel and he stormed out in a huff. CW phoned security in the store to explain what had happened so now he is likely to get a lengthy ban from the place, all because he couldn't use his phone.

You stole my money!!!

A lad who looked like he was in his early twenties came storming in completely irate because he tried to get £20 from the cash machine and no money came out. We told him that the machine doesn't belong to us (it doesn't) so there wasn't anything that we could do. He then started demanding that we phone the police because we had stolen his £20 and that we give him £20 from the till to make up for it(erm... no, not happening).

He then stormed out of the shop just as dramatically as he came in saying that he was going to wait for us when we closed. We phoned the security guard and he came over and phoned the police.

However, when the guard and the CW I was with (not the one from earlier as she had left by then) were in the back office he came back in. This time he was really apologetic, saying that he partly has tourettes syndrome and gets aggressive when he is upset. He wanted to apologise to my CW who had taken the brunt of what had happened, but she didn't want to come out so I said that she was currently with a manager. The police turned up and searched for him but couldn't find him.

In case you are wondering why we kept having to ring the security guard in the store all the time it is because at the end of last year we had security screens put up on the tills and the management, in their infinate wisdom, think that there are an adequate replacement for an actual security guard and so therefore don't need one anymore. This is despite being situated in one of the more rougher areas of Liverpool.

That guy didn't have Tourette's.

Tourette's gives you uncontrollable facial tics, and in some cases explosive profanity in ALL situations. It isn't stop and start just when you're pissed off at a petrol clerk.

This guy was FOS.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

slightly.....
      When I saw the title this song popped into my head....Thanks a lot.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
        slightly.....
        Not alone Karl - don't have time to click through, but assume it's 'late December back in '63....?'

Gibbo - good luck with the prepay request. Keep emphasizing how much money it will save, and how customers are now used to it, maybe it will sink in.

Comment

I'm betting what the guy had was good enough hearing to hear that you'd phoned the police over his threat.

Comment

Oh &deity, Liverpool...where the bread shop has security screens (check out the one in Aigburth, which is supposed to be a nice area, for heaven's sake). I grew up on Merseyside, how far has the mighty city fallen...

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
              Not alone Karl - don't have time to click through, but assume it's 'late December back in '63....?'
              Technically that's the next line. The title is, in fact, December, 1963 (Oh What A Night).
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

and what exactly is the form for?

I found a "Gas Drive Off Self-Reporting Form" online - is that what they're filling out?

Comment

slightly.....
                  Same thing happened to me.
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

slightly.....
                    Quoth sms001 View Post
                    Glad to see I wasn't the only one.

Sweet surrender, what a night...
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                      That guy didn't have Tourette's. Tourette's gives you uncontrollable facial tics, and in some cases explosive profanity in ALL situations. It isn't stop and start just when you're pissed off at a petrol clerk. This guy was FOS.
                      We were quite sceptical about it as well, although he really was apologetic about it. I thought he was going to start crying at one point.

Sorry but when I was doing the post that song just popped into my head so I just had to use it as the title. Sorry everyone!!

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        and what exactly is the form for?

I found a "Gas Drive Off Self-Reporting Form" online - is that what they're filling out?
                        Quoth sms001 View Post
                        Gibbo - good luck with the prepay request. Keep emphasizing how much money it will save, and how customers are now used to it, maybe it will sink in.
                        The forms used whenever anyone hasn't got anything to pay their fuel with. They then get seven days to pay it before it gets passed on to our debt collectors. It is now getting increasingly abused as people are increasingly coming in with the sole intention of getting a form, and as they aren't intending to pay it is technically illegal.

If we had a prepay system installed it would eventually pay for itself but the managers just won't see it.
                        Last edited by Gibbo; 08-08-2012, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Tell me you're nowhere near Garson and them ways? Park rd as well.

It's like a little reunion now

Comment

slightly.....
                            Quoth sms001 View Post

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                            Same thing happened to me.
                            Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            Glad to see I wasn't the only one.

Sweet surrender, what a night...
                            Me, too.

SC
                            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth Gibbo View Post
                              The forms used whenever anyone hasn't got anything to pay their fuel with. They then get seven days to pay it before it gets passed on to our debt collectors. It is now getting increasingly abused as people are increasingly coming in with the sole intention of getting a form, and as they aren't intending to pay it is technically illegal.

If we had a prepay system installed it would eventually pay for itself but the managers just won't see it.
                              If they never intend to pay do you ever get anything back? Or does it just go to collections hell where they just try to skip out on paying forever?
                              No risk of them losing the license or being arrested?

Comment

Working...
                              X