This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lack of planning on your part...

...does not constitute an emergency on my part - unless you are a whiny bitch who can't take no for an answer.

So, CW has gone on vacation for a the week and has taken great care to inform his clients that he will NOT be available during this time. All clients have confirmed that they know he is gone and that no jobs will be worked on until he gets back. They're all in the client approval stage so it should be a non-issue.

Monday is a holiday so first thing Tuesday DumbAssClient calls with "a couple" changes. Apparently a whole page is the new "couple." Production Manager goes back and forth for a few minutes confirming that they knew CW would be gone and agreed that there were to be no changes until he got back and that they had confirmed agreement by email. But they reeeeellllly need these done. Plleeeeeeeaaasse. Eventually he just heaves the sigh-of-defeat and pulls me off my project that is already behind schedule (client's fault, go figure).

I'm not familiar with CW's project but I trained CW on this software so I know my way around it. I also know that there are a dozen or so "hidden" fiddly settings that one can miss if you don't know they've been changed. They're buried within other settings - pretty good software but very labyrinthine.

So I make the changes, compile and send it off. Guess what? I missed something. So I fix that and... it won't compile. WTF? Luckily, the bit I missed was easily fixable in an xml file. Repack, send off. Alrighty then, troubleshootin' time.

DAC takes this as "all systems go" and starts sending changes for other jobs and demanding they get done. We're doing you a freakin' favour here you ungrateful f**ks so don't get uppity.

So now I've lost three days off MY project because these doughheads can't keep to the schedule they agreed to. I should have just said I didn't know the software.

On a positive note, the compiler problem was fixed in true IT Crowd fashion by "turning it off and on again."

Please tell me your production manager put his/her foot down on the additional changes DAC wants ...

Comment

Quoth Dadeo View Post
      On a positive note, the compiler problem was fixed in true IT Crowd fashion by "turning it off and on again."
      The IT department's office where I work has a sign on the door. Amongst the obligatory clip art, it reads, "WELCOME TO THE IT DEPT. BEFORE KNOCKING: HAVE YOU TRIED TURNING IT OFF AND ON AGAIN?"
      Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Comment

What can I say? It really does work quite often.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
          Please tell me your production manager put his/her foot down on the additional changes DAC wants ...
          Nope. And, of course, more changes today.

Just to clarify, our PM is generally very good about this sort of thing. But it's kind of like dealing with a five-year old - sometimes you just give up and give in.
          Last edited by Dadeo; 08-10-2012, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X