This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Frankenstein

As most of you know Michigan has gotten hit hard with the snow. Due to our lovely lakes we were making records. Yesterday was the day of seasons... It ended with a ice thunder storm that even came with a few lightening strikes.

Last night...Frankie...my beloved machine that was pieced together with help from here and the local Computer Guild.... He fried.

The surge protector tried but couldn't stop the burst of energy. I had the other pieces tested and while the CPU should still be good it was giving a "odd reading".

So off to newegg to get a new motherboard...at least they are still on sale.

Ack. Least you got away with only one casualty. Barebones motherboards are pretty cheap.

I'm paranoid about my precious. I always have at least 1 set of spare parts around. >.>

Comment

129 before tax/shipping.

Not bad since it can take up to 32Gig of ram through 4 sticks. And supports i3, i5, and i7 1st-3rd gen.

The surge protector is going to be 45 tho... It has a special line for the Ethernet connection and has USB connections.

Comment

My surge protector is pretty bare bones. Though my PSU and mobo are quite resistant. Not that we get lightning here much if ever. If I remember my summers in Quebec and Ontario, lightning is a real bitch back there in the summer.

Comment

Yea lightening here usually comes in the summer but rarely we get it in other seasons too

Comment

Not much lightning here, thank goodness, but static electricity can be a real problem. To the point where you don't dare touch anything electronic until you ground yourself (zot! Oww).

My frankenputer is on its third rebuild, inherited a new motherboard and chipset from my friend the Computer God. They're a huge upgrade for me, but for him they were old tech that he was just gonna toss. (None of the stuff that he was gonna just toss is over two years old, and some of it is a lot less than that. He writes code and teaches coding for a living, and keeps the hardware of his home network seriously freakin current.)

Heh, and now my boyfrind also officially has a frankenputer, too, we were able to replace most of his components with upgraded stuff from the same inherited pile. Though we will be shifting his entire setup into a new case as soon as it arrives, his new mobo and chipset throws off ungodly amounts of heat so we need lots and lots of airflow through the case. Can't just take case sides off and leave them off, dust and cat hair and dog hair and my hair are all problems, plus Meester Kitteh is fascinated by all the cords and wires inside.
            Last edited by Kittish; 02-21-2014, 08:19 PM.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I can't believe nobody's made an "It's ALIIIIIVE!...Well, it will be soon..." -type comment yet ^_^
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Eric... I promise you when I first started him up...I did do the "he's alive!" joke.

Comment

That snow thunderstorm was crazy! I was in class when I heard the thunder and saw lightning, and then when I started driving, I started getting slammed with huge snowflakes. It was so weird seeing lightning and snow.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                    I did do the "he's alive!" joke.
                    Excellent. All is well, then ^_^
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth PhiSigGirl1988 View Post
                      That snow thunderstorm was crazy! I was in class when I heard the thunder and saw lightning, and then when I started driving, I started getting slammed with huge snowflakes. It was so weird seeing lightning and snow.
                      We had cold and grey weather, and about 15 minutes of thunder but I didn't see any lightening. I haven't had a winter thunderstorm here in the north since the 70s.
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        I can't believe nobody's made an "It's ALIIIIIVE!...Well, it will be soon..." -type comment yet ^_^
                        Okay Eric it's all on you...Frankie is working again...

Comment

Well, the joke's too obvious, now How about a different loon playing with lightning?

Comment

Working...
                          X