This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crochet question!

So I'm thinking of doing a project with a cotton blend of yarn rather than acrylic or actual wool. The reason why is based on both texture and the fact that I want the blocks to actually hold their shape. (Also I want something that can be used as either a rug or blanket)

Unfortunately all the information I get regarding the 8-ply cotton/wool mixes has the knitting needle size listed on the ball band (which is not uncommon, there's only ONE brand I've found that lists crochet hook sizes and that's for a 12-ply acrylic/wool mix).

So what size crochet hook should I use to get good even tension on an 8-ply ball? IF not, can someone please provide me with some good advice in that regard?
    Last edited by fireheart; 03-04-2014, 12:23 PM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

I went poking around a bit and found this:

Hook and Needle Equivalents

It looks like you can find the recommended knitting needle size, and go across to find the comparable crochet hook size.

Nice to meet another hooker! I started a blanket with cotton yarn, and I love the softness of it so far. Everything else I've done has been with synthetic.

Comment

I find that I can experiment with my stash of hooks (and knitting needles) and find one that comfortably fits the yarn.

If you don't have such a stash, I recommend haunting secondhand shops and charity shops. People donate Mum's or Grandma's needle/hook stash when the elder has to leave their home.

So the charity shops often get a stash in, and sell it quite cheaply. Sometimes you can get really good needles/hooks, too!

(I inherited Nan's. I was the grandchild who was actively doing this sort of fibrework, so my mother and maternal aunts passed them to me.)
      Last edited by Seshat; 03-05-2014, 04:49 AM.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Ashaela View Post
        Nice to meet another hooker! I started a blanket with cotton yarn, and I love the softness of it so far. Everything else I've done has been with synthetic.
        I currently have a giant sgranny square that I've been working on with a synthetic wool for ages.

Seshat, I have a nice stash of hooks at the moment, most of which have been bought from craft stores. (the op shops around here do not have crochet hooks, only needles)

I'm doing another blanket, but this one will be blocks rather than just row after row (which is what my current project is). I've also worked out that if I order my yarn from Bendigo Woollen Mills, it's slightly better value than if I pick up some brand-name cotton-blend from Lincraft (Spotlight are currently in the process of getting rid of most of their wool so finding cotton-blends is hard)
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
        X