This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Ya Know People On TV...

...it's a bit weird, to be honest. But it happens. Especially when you live in an international destination like Key West. When Dinner: Impossible was down here, for example, I watched that episode with much amusement, as I recognized every location and many of the people featured.

And so it was once again with Triple D, aka Diner, Drive-Ins, and Dives, Guy Fieri's semi-iconic show on Food Network. They were recently in my fair island city, and featured three of our local establishments, and the episode premiered this last Friday. And it was, to be honest, weird to watch, as so much of it was so very familiar to me. If you've seen or will see the episode, here's a local's view on what they highlighted.

Garbo's Grill: Eli and Kenna are no strangers to me. I know them fairly well; while we don't go out drinking together or anything, they DO come to my bar for drinks from time to time, and I do go to their food cart from time to time for some seriously amazing food. Is it as amazing as the show implied? Hell to the yeah! The Umami Burger is unbelievable, their tacos are out of this world, and their mango jalapeƱo hot dog (not featured on the show) is simply ridiculous, in the best possible way. They have been, for some time, the highest ratest Key Weat eatery on Trip Advisor, and there's a reason for it. Amusing tidbit: prior to watching the show, I had never seen Kenna without a bandana on her head, nor did I know her or Eli's last name. (It's not that uncommon in this town to know people for years and not know their last name, or even their real first name if they have a nickname that's stuck.)

Bad Boy Burrito: are the burritos really as good as Guy say? No. They're far, far better. As many of you know, being from Arizona, I am very particular about my Mexican food. And most Mexican places in Florida are, to be honest, terrible. We have a couple decent restaurants in Key West for this cuisine....and then there's BBB. Holy snikey! They kick ass! Seriously, I don't stop here enough, and I need to correct that. Part of the problem is that they are predominantly a day time joint, and I work days. But whatever. Place rocks. Food rocks. Among my favorite things to do after work is to pick up something from them (if they're still open at that hour), take it home, and enjoy it with a cold beer. Amusing tidbit: I did not realize the chef/owner was Chris Otten. He's a killer chef on the island, responsible for foodgasms of mine from various locations, including two of my favorite places (not featured on Triple D). If you are ever here, in addition to BBB, check out 2 cents and Kojin, two amazing and amazingly diverse eateries. Wow.

DJ's Clam Shack: While I am familiar with this place, I have never actually had their food, though I've been meaning to for quite some time. Many of my friends and coworkers swear up and down about this place any their food, and I pass them from time to time when I venture further up Duval Street than I do on an average day. By all reports, they kill it.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Sort of related, I guess, a burger joint (and one of my favorite restaurants overall), Zippy's Giant Burgers was recently featured on Mystery Diners.

I had never watched the Show before, (don't recall even hearing of it), so didn't know how "real" this "Reality Show" was, fully realizing that most, if not all, are scripted and contrived to some degree.

I admit, I fell for the now obviously fake aspect to it, although the whole thing seemed weird to me as I was watching it.

I live about a quarter mile from Zippy's, and manage to get there probably about every 4-6 weeks, for my Zippy's fix. Have been doing so this regularly, for just over a year now.

In that time, having gone probably mostly on weekdays, and occasionally weekends, I had not seen their "Mascot".

An IMDb comment thread on that particular ep is Here

Mike
    Meow.........

Comment

Working...
    X