This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Desk =/= Paper Detective

Remembered an incident from a document processing job I had a while back.

I overheard my supervisor on the phone with our building's tech support group. She said she couldn't find a document. I heard the usual merry-go-round of troubleshooting suggestions and responses. Then I heard this:

"No, I have that open right now."
    "It's on my screen. In Word."
    "I opened it from the [network drive]. I printed it, and I signed it, but now I can't find it."
    "That's not the problem. I can't find the one that I SIGNED!"

Yeah. She printed something, then misplaced it, then called the Help Desk and asked them to tell her where she put it.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

And then she complained that the help desk wasn't helpful when they couldn't tell her where she left the document, amirite?
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
      "That's not the problem. I can't find the one that I SIGNED!"
      I didn't take it.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        And then she complained that the help desk wasn't helpful when they couldn't tell her where she left the document, amirite?
        Probably. She and I didn't get along very well, so I never asked. And because I was sure I'd say something that would get me in trouble, I put in my headphones and cranked up my music so I wouldn't have to listen to the rest of the conversation.

Kinda wish it worked that way sometimes, though. "Hey, tech support! Where did my kid hide the DVD remote control this time? ... Yeah, I checked the couch already. ... The fridge? ... Well, there it is! I never would have thought to look in there! Now that's what I call a help desk!"
        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
        - Bill Watterson

- IPF

Comment

alright people I'm gonna stare into the abyss here.

Is there a reason she couldn't print and sign a second copy?
          Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
          Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Lazy would be my guess...nevermind that call probably took her longer than it would have to do just that.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

"Where is it ?!!"

"Wherever you last set it down" Thank you! Ticket closed! Have a nice day!
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                Is there a reason she couldn't print and sign a second copy?
                None that I could think of other than some weird kind of laziness, like Dreamstalker suggested. Frankly, I was shocked that she didn't do that as soon as she determined that her signed copy was "missing." This is the same supervisor who would print out a page from our shared database when she wanted to discuss some record with a staff member, even though we could all look up the exact same information on our computers.

This is also the same person who would throw away a completely blank, good-as-new piece of paper simply because it had gone through the printer (somebody printed a blank page by mistake, feeder grabbed two sheets instead of one, etc.).
                - Bill Watterson

- IPF

Comment

Working...
                X