This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe do what the screen tells you?

I had a very lovely but very very irritating customer today. I was assisting with her email sign-in, and she kept asking questions...which is fine.

But not when the question is "what do I do now?"

And not when the answer is "follow the instructions on the screen."

Seriously, just READ and DO WHAT IT SAYS!

It's only the start of term, too...
    I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Sounds like one of my co-workers.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

But reading is hard for SCs. =( They need pictures.

Comment

Quoth flyonthewall View Post
        But reading is hard for SCs. =( They need pictures.
        sometimes even PICTURES and simple diagrams do not work
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I have had to use the "Don't look at me, look at the screen" line more times than I want to remember

Comment

I am convinced that following on-screen instructions is what sets apart those of us who support, and those who are supported. It's like a magic key that opens the door to using a computer.
            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
              I am convinced that following on-screen instructions is what sets apart those of us who support, and those who are supported. It's like a magic key that opens the door to using a computer.
              This could explain the phenomenon of something suddenly working when I come over to help. It's because when I'm there helping them, they follow the instructions on the screen, whereas when I'm not they just click randomly in the hopes that the computer will figure out what they want. Then they give me credit for the success and I smile and walk away. Also, when I'm around the printer doesn't jam.

(seriously, are people all on something which makes them think I'm so great at computers? I'm passable. I just google everything.)
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                (seriously, are people all on something which makes them think I'm so great at computers? I'm passable. I just google everything.)
                About 90% of trouble shooting is knowing how to ask the question.
                ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                  This could explain the phenomenon of something suddenly working when I come over to help. It's because when I'm there helping them, they follow the instructions on the screen, whereas when I'm not they just click randomly in the hopes that the computer will figure out what they want. Then they give me credit for the success and I smile and walk away. Also, when I'm around the printer doesn't jam.

THIS ^^

I'm not even tech support. I'm a salesperson! But because I have a computer at home and took the time to figure out some of the functions on our system at work, two of my co-workers think I have some kind of special knowledge. And that is really because it's easier to ask somebody else to help than to THINK and figure it out!
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth rvdammit View Post
                    About 90% of trouble shooting is knowing how to ask the question.
                    Ayup. It's essentially a case of "it's not your ability to swing the hammer that matters, it's knowing where to swing it."
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I once worked a six month contract as a "profeshunal IT munky," and the only special knowledge I brought to the job was knowing how to read help files... This was not only enough to get me hired, but to double the length of the contract from its original three months. I got a glowing letter of recommendation, and a crapload of free hardware & software as well as some serious usage from their dedicated internet line, which was about fifty times faster than they had any need for it to be...

"Me? Running a torrent client on the main server? As if. "

Ah, good times. Cured me of a lifelong desire to be an IT guy, but at least it paid the bills and then some.
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Obligatory XKCD link: https://xkcd.com/627/

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                          Obligatory XKCD link: https://xkcd.com/627/
                          I actually have this as a background on my work computer...!
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                            I have had to use the "Don't look at me, look at the screen" line more times than I want to remember
                            I call this "Mr. Ed" behavior.
                            Like the "mathematical genius" horses who just watch the trainer until they see the "that's the answer" body-language, some people think that they can avoid the 'work' of learning anything by just doing random whatevers until the trainer/I.T.guy/lead relaxes.

A most annoying type of person to train, because they become instantly useless the moment you walk or turn away from them

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                              This was one of the first issues I had to deal with in my first techie job doing tech support.

What I soon realized was that the little-old-lady I was teaching, was afraid, and fear shuts down the mind. Bluntly, she didn't want to look at the screen, because the computer was scary.

Comment

Working...
                              X