Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In which goodwill is crushed under batting.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In which goodwill is crushed under batting.

Lady went from needy to sucky... She comes up to ask for a price on something. Fine, even though we have price checkers, we aren't super close to one. Plus I know some displays aren't signed. Fair enough. Then she wants me to explain the difference between the packaged batting and by-the-yard batting. Again, fine. She goes to sucky right here by interrupting me several times. Then she does that helpless "oh, how do I buy this? Do I need to carry it?" Okay, that can be valid, it is heavy. I googled, and the bolt of batting weighs about 33 pounds. And it was a full bolt. I'm not saying that's the heaviest thing in the world, but it's an awkward shape and just hard to carry.

So I grab it and start walking to the counter. As I'm almost all the way down the next aisle over, I very faintly hear her ask something about the difference between battings.

....Yeah, she's still standing way back where we started, talking to me after seeing me pick up the batting and walk away with it. I didn't respond, I barely heard her in the first place.

I get to the counter and go to dump it. She walks over to the other side and says "my stuff's over here." She'd placed several bolts on the counter. First off, I found it rude, it just felt like she was bossing me around for no reason. Oh, you're stuff is there? Why does that matter, you will likely have to move when your number is called. Second, on the very far end we have about a foot and a half of space which is taken up by a phone and the silly item of the month display. So this giant batting is clearly not going to fit. I'd have to put it in a CW's way. Also, probably you all remember that I have an almost unreasonable protectiveness for the counter space. Don't put stuff on it unless you're number has been called! Even if there are multiple counters free, don't. do. it. You put your stuff there, then another person does, then another... You see how that works?

I'm also baffled by the amount of people who insist on putting their stuff right on that small space. It's directly next to the take-a-ticket holder, so they end up blocking other people. Plus there is nearly always someone cutting at the nearest counter, so they stand shoulder to shoulder with a random customer, when there's tons of room EVERYWHERE around. It's like how I read on here about people pushing their stuff over the scanners at the grocery store. Why, I ask you, why?

Anyway, wasn't dramatic or anything. I was fairly stressed about school stuff, and so I may have kinda huffed off. It was just one of those days, and this lady poked all my pet peeves.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

No good deed goes unpunished
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
      Also, probably you all remember that I have an almost unreasonable protectiveness for the counter space. Don't put stuff on it unless you're number has been called! Even if there are multiple counters free, don't. do. it. You put your stuff there, then another person does, then another... You see how that works?

I'm also baffled by the amount of people who insist on putting their stuff right on that small space. It's directly next to the take-a-ticket holder, so they end up blocking other people. Plus there is nearly always someone cutting at the nearest counter, so they stand shoulder to shoulder with a random customer, when there's tons of room EVERYWHERE around.
      Not to mention, we have these absolutely amazing devices, the customers may have heard of them, called shopping carts, conveniently located right at the front door where the customer comes into the store! Why they ignore that long line of handy-dandy shopping carts, preferring to haul ten bolts of fabric in their arms and dump them on the counter is absolutely baffling to me.

Yeah, I can't stand willfully oblivious people. One of the managers here was carrying several shelves back to the stock room when some customer stopped her to ask her a billion questions, completely ignoring the fact that she was struggling under the weight of several heavy shelves. How do you ignore the fact that your fellow human being needs a hand, or at least let them finish what they're doing before interrupting them?!
      Last edited by XCashier; 01-24-2016, 03:56 PM. Reason: It's not just customers; I can't stand anyone who's willfully oblivious.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
        No good deed goes unpunished
        That was my sig for a while. It's so fitting.

XCashier, people are so resistant to getting a cart! During the Dark Days (of New Manager) our store was always clogged with boxes and bottle carts and such. But that's just me being charitable. People have NEVER liked using carts, even when our aisles were totally clear. I feel my blood pressure spike because people get so... stupid about it. They act like that HAVE to put their stuff on the counter. There is no other option. It's like a mental block of some sort. And I've gotten some super SCs because their stuff got moved.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Carts are a problem at our local J-named fabric store here, mostly because the store is in a terrible spot, very cramped, with barely enough space to maneuver the smaller carts said chain uses.

I suspect some of the customers, at least, go in thinking, "Oh, I'm just going to get fabric off of one bolt. I don't need a cart." And then they go into a form of sugar shock or something and end up buying half the store.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            I'm also baffled by the amount of people who insist on putting their stuff right on that small space. It's directly next to the take-a-ticket holder, so they end up blocking other people. Plus there is nearly always someone cutting at the nearest counter, so they stand shoulder to shoulder with a random customer, when there's tons of room EVERYWHERE around. It's like how I read on here about people pushing their stuff over the scanners at the grocery store. Why, I ask you, why?
            I can imagine their thinking for doing that. It's a not-so-subtle way to try and show dominance likely; and maybe to try and skip the Number line. Since their stuff is at the number pull, they are probably thinking "My stuff is there, therefore I'm next, no matter what the numbers say", and go from there.

It doesn't make any real sense of course; but that's never stopped SCs before.

Comment

I read a book by an anthropologist who studied shopping behaviour. If you put several cart or basket stations throughout the store, people use them. If you have them only at the entrance, people don't.

So why do store layouts continue to have them only at the entrance?
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                I read a book by an anthropologist who studied shopping behaviour. If you put several cart or basket stations throughout the store, people use them. If you have them only at the entrance, people don't.

So why do store layouts continue to have them only at the entrance?
                To be fair, they do take up a lot of space, and they're a lot of time and nuisance to round up. It makes sense from the store's viewpoint to have them in one spot than in stations around the store.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

In addition to the larger pile of baskets right inside the entrance, we used to have several wire 'bins' through the store, which did get used. That was also convenient for anyone collecting baskets from the aisles as they didn't have to go all the way up front and could just drop them in whichever bin was closest.

NewSM says we can't do that and all baskets must be outside. It's common to see someone who 'just came in for one thing' looking desperately for a basket. I have a stack by the paystation that stays there as long as I can get away with it (out of the traffic area, next to the santitizer station which people will use/see when coming in anyway), and tell people to just take a basket from the uncollected stacks at SCO if they need one. When it's this cold, I am NOT going outside every ten seconds with collected baskets...technically, I can't do that--even if told to--as it would be leaving SCO unattended.
                  Last edited by Dreamstalker; 01-24-2016, 01:29 PM.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I so, so wish my favourite fabric shop had shopping carts. Instead it's a little plastic basket or slightly larger plastic pull basket.

Some of those bolts are heavy!

Comment

My local quilt shops (non chain stores) don't have shopping baskets.

However I've found if you walk up to a member of staff with several bolts in your arms and ask. "Can I start a pile somewhere?" They're more then willing to accommodate.
                      https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                        However I've found if you walk up to a member of staff with several bolts in your arms and ask. "Can I start a pile somewhere?" They're more then willing to accommodate.
                        Of course, on the "other side of the pond", if someone asks if they can start a pile, they're planning on being a pain in the ass.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I was waiting for someone to comment about that.
                          https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Gee - I've been doing it all wrong. If I couldn't find a cart I wouldn't shop for things that weighed a ton, and I'm always polite to the person cutting my fabric.

Once when I was in the local fabric store I was looking at patterns, which just happened to be located across the aisle from a Frozen display. Over a period of about 15 minutes three groups of younger girls found that display, and I'd hear a lot of "Mom! Frozen!" and singing of songs from that movie with varying degrees of talent. I finally gave up and went to check out the thread.

Comment

Working...
                            X