This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like some opinions on unused greeting cards

I have a question. Mom is in a nursing home, and is slowly deteriorating (to nobody's surprise, sad though it is). She bought birthday cards for my sister and niece ahead of time and then never sent them -- I suspect she'd forgotten she had them.

So what I'm wondering is ... should I donate the cards? Niece is in her teens so it's not as if she were a small child who would be thrilled to get a card from "Grandma" and wouldn't know that "Grandma" didn't sign it. And sis is a nurse-practitioner; she's certainly aware of Mom's increasing limitations.

For Mom's first few years in the nursing home I would bring her the cards and get her to sign them, but the last time I tried that (on a card for niece -- her granddaughter) she signed the 'G' ... and then couldn't seem to think of what came next. I finished 'Grandma" for her. Now, I'm not sure she could even manager that much -- and the two birthdays are eight to 10 months away. By then, she'll only have deteriorated even more.

They are pretty, sentimental cards -- which is odd, as Mom was never a sentimental person ... she was definitely NOT an indulgent grandma. Because of that, and extensive physical distances, niece has never had the kind of close, memory-making relationship with Mom that my siblings and I had with Mom's mother

In future I plan to get a generic card (not one for "Granddaughter" or "Daughter" and sign it from both Mom and I. Just debating what to do with these cards. Meanwhile, I'm sure out there somewhere there's somebody who'd love to use these cards.

Thoughts?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Maybe ask around the home and see if another grandma who lives there might want some...?
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That's a possibility ...
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Sometimes if I find one really pretty to look at I hang it. You could also donate to a thrift store. If people buy books there, they should be inclined to buy some cards.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Sorry about your Mom.

Let your sister and niece know about the cards. Even though they are not signed, they are the last birthday cards that your Mom bought for them.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
          X