This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• regulars

Today I worked my first weekday lunch shift at the Chinese restaurant. Usually I work evenings or weekends, so there was a fair amount different. Many were not pleasant. Most of these annoying things had to do with regulars. Now, I like most regulars. But just because you've been eating at the same restaurant for so long doesn't mean you can do as you please.

Don't seat yourself. There's a sign asking you to wait. When it's just me working, I prefer to have all my tables in the same area, so I don't have to run all over the place. I also don't see any point in bringing out extra sauces when half the tables will not be used and the sauces may go bad in this heat. Besides, how do you know that table isn't reserved?

Don't rattle off your order all at once. That's just LOVELY that you know exactly what you want when you get in. But can I at least have my pen out? Can you, I dunno, STOP TO BREATHE?

Don't assume I know exactly what you want, how you want, when you want. When we start training, they don't give us a list of regulars and their preferences. I've never seen you before. Don't just say "Oh, the usual." and go back to your conversation. DICK MOVE. Don't get annoyed when I put scallions in your wonton soup... since that's how it's usually served, I'm gonna serve it that way unless you say something. If you have a special order, I need to knooooooow OMGDIIIIIE.

Don't try to bend the rules. If that coupon can only be used for dine-in, don't tell me to "just take it anyway" when you order take-out. If I tell you I can't substitute your soup for an extra egg roll because the computer won't let me, don't tell me I don't know how to do my job. If the cook says you can't substitute your lunch special for mushroom scallops, YOU CAN'T. Did you really think I'd charge you $5.50 for scallops? Queen plz. Don't tell me you do it all the time and the cook will let you do it. Because I just asked him and he said no.

Don't go into the kitchen. I know you have to get back to work. That's why I'm bagging your order as fast as I can. When you stick your head in the door to joke about how long I'm taking(TWO HANDS, 3 TRILLION ORDERS, DO THE MATH), I fantasize about slamming the door on your head.

Don't assume personal boundaries and respect don't apply to you. I introduced myself, so you should know my name is not "Baby". The girl who usually works the lunch shift is a badass, so you should know better than to rub my shoulder. Don't ask me personal information. I'm here to give you the best General Tso's in Buffalo, not to be your BFF Jill.

The other regulars were just lovely. But you know how it is when you've got that one butt-bonnet who grumps up your whole day.
    Last edited by unclejampuff; 06-06-2008, 06:25 PM. Reason: IDK
    "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."
    "Free at last from my vegetable prison!"
    X-Strike Studios: Video game movies done RIGHT!

*pssst! It's BFF Jill* I know, I'm such a twerp.

You had a long night. Have one of my famous cookies.

*hands over cookie*
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
      *pssst! It's BFF Jill* I know, I'm such a twerp.

You had a long night. Have one of my famous cookies.

*hands over cookie*

COOOOOKIE!
      The biggest suck of it all was that I was so tired after working a double that I completely forgot to get food for myself. Now I'm exhausted, grumpy, sweaty, AND hungry. *flails*
      "I don't have to take this abuse from you, I've got hundreds of people dying to abuse me."

Comment

Too bad you're in NY. Because I rather feel like cooking so I'd gladly make ya something if I could.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth unclejampuff View Post
          I'm here to give you the best General Tso's in Buffalo, not to be your BBF Jill.
          Could'a been worse. Could'a been BFF Rose.

Now I want sushi. Dangit.
          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Don't ask me personal information. I'm here to give you the best General Tso's in Buffalo, not to be your BBF Jill.
            for me too! That made my morning! I'll teleport you some pancakes once they're done cooking.
            Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

Next time I'm in Buffalo visiting a friend I want to come to your restaurant and just sit there all day waiting for someone to ask for "the usual" just so I can watch them have soya sauce squirted in their eye.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                Next time I'm in Buffalo visiting a friend I want to come to your restaurant and just sit there all day waiting for someone to ask for "the usual" just so I can watch them have soya sauce squirted in their eye.
                You'd be more than welcome to come by!

Comment

There's one place that I used to be a regular before I moved ... for the most part, I was well behaved. Still, I had MY table. I liked it. I liked sitting there. Please don't ask me to sit elsewhere if it is available ... even if it is a bit far away from the other tables that have people.
                  "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth unclejampuff View Post
                    butt-bonnet
                    Yep.

Totally stealing permanently borrowing that and telling it to my boss. When he comes back from vacation.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                    X