This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prayers needed

BG: I have 2 best friends, they are man and wife and I've known them both for over 20 years.

Husband went in for a sleep study and they found he never gets past stage 1. That means he never gets into REM sleep. They are checking to make sure it wasn't just because he was at the sleep study center, they sent a machine home for him to use, and then they're going to go over the results with a fine tooth comb.

IF he doesn't get past stage 1 he could have less than 18 months to live!

His wife is frantic, and I'm worried about them both.

Thoughts and prayers going out. Now here is a couple of questions. Has he been forgetful, acting 'drunk', or have slow reflexes? If not, then most likely it was because he was in the sleep study center.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

He's been forgetful, and having issues stumbling around, but he attributed the stumbling around to his back issues.

Comment

Thoughts and prayers coming their way.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Oh man. Prayers headed their way. If it is found that he doesn't get to REM sleep, do they have a plan of action? Genetic testing to see if he has the mutation for fatal insomnia or any treatments?

Comment

Can someone explain to me why this is a life-threatening condition? I tried Google and can't seem to find an answer.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

There is a condition called Fatal Familial Imsomnia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia

Some people can also spontaneously develop this, it's called Sporadic Fatal Insomnia. 18 months is the average lifespan after symptoms occur.

Here's hoping it's not that, Akasa!
              https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Holy sheeeeet O.o

Double hoping it's not FFI. I read about it ages ago and it's one of my personal nightmare conditions...brrr...
                "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Thanks guys it's hard waiting to hear the results of the test they did. So far we have 4 days left till we get the results. PINS AND NEEDLES! NOT the good kind!

Comment

Praying. Hopefully it's just a melatonin deficiency or something else that can be treated and has similar symptoms.

Comment

OMG! last night... HE HAD A DREAM!

That means he got past stage 1!

*happy tears*

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                        There is a condition called Fatal Familial Imsomnia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia

Some people can also spontaneously develop this, it's called Sporadic Fatal Insomnia. 18 months is the average lifespan after symptoms occur.

Here's hoping it's not that, Akasa!
                        That is one of the most horrifying things I've ever read. I truly hope the man in the OP does not have this and is able to improve.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post

*happy tears*
                          He still needs to follow up with the dr.
                          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post

*happy tears*
                            Good news! Maybe it was the stress of the study... Still, I agree with Deserted. Follow up.
                            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I'm sure he will, he just has to wait until the 25th.

Comment

Working...
                              X