Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thing you (and the other people) got out of it alive. It sucks that the bosses won't help a little, but I suppose someone new aren't trustworthy yet.
    I'll hope as hard as I can. All I can do at this distance.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. And thank you, BlaqueKatt for those links, we're definitely looking at them for when we need to go grocery shopping and the like.

Right now, we're car shopping, stopping between dealers, and about to go hit another one.

We cleaned out the old Saturn, and left it at the impound lot. xx_wolfie_xx saw the damage up close, he felt it very surreal. It's seriously nasty.

as for me, well, I'm starting to bloom. Bruises, that is. And hey, I've got a little bit fuller range of motion, so hopefully I can dress myself tomorrow, instead of needing help with things like bras and pants and whatnot.

Off we go again, wish us luck.

Comment

*Hugs Lupo* I actually just noticed your post on FB. Glad to hear you're ok! *Sends luck your way*

Comment

So, I'm feeling pretty low right now.

We managed to secure another vehicle and it was really nice.

Was. Within 3 days of having it, I managed to bump a pole, so now there's yellow paint transfer, and I've popped a dent into the panel by the driver's side door, so it doesn't open all the way. Local repair place is quoting $1300 to fix it, but "tentatively", meaning it'll probably cost MORE.

I feel so incredibly low right now, like I shouldn't be allowed near anything remotely valuable. I have no idea how to go forward about this, because now the driver's side door doesn't open all the way. So, now I've ruined one car, and I've damaged a second. I'm completely tapped out at this point and I feel pretty much like scum.

Comment

I'm late to the party, but I'm glad to hear you made it out fairly okay.

As for the damage to the new car, that sucks. Are you able to remove the panel and hammer it back into shape? It won't look pretty, but it would help get the door open until you can save up enough to fix the cosmetic stuff. (I had some schmuck slam into my car when it was parked at the mall and not leave a note. Couldn't get it open until we got it home so Hubs could take it apart and go at it with a hammer, and then it opened and closed perfectly fine even though it still looked like crap.)

Don't beat yourself up too much. It's a new-to-you car with different blind spots and turn radius than you were used to.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
              I have no idea how to go forward about this, because now the driver's side door doesn't open all the way.
              Can you see what prevents the door opening? You may be able to pull the edge of the panel straight with your hands so the door can open.

Don't blame yourself too much, as bhskittykatt says, it's a new car and you have to get used to the way it handles.

Comment

I had somebody bump my car in a parking lot a few years ago, damaging it so that the driver's side door almost didn't open at all. My son jammed a long screwdriver behind the panel and popped the dent out enough to open the door all the way. I still haven't gotten around to fixing it properly, and honestly, my kid did a decent enough job that you have to get really, really close to even tell there's damage. Well, in that spot anyway.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

So...the plunger trick worked. Yay!!

But it just never ends!!

I received a letter today from a lawyer (suspiciously, with the same last name as the guy I was in the accident with.) And though said guy refused EMS services at the scene and drove his car away from the scene, he's suffered bodily injury.

I should've known. I mean, when the police asked us if we needed medical attention, we both said no, but the other guy said "Oh, I'll probably feel it tonight, and I'll get 'Checked out' later"

I'm freaking out. Help? Someone? Went ahead and emailed the adjuster and wolfie is calling the insurance line, but it just never ends and I'm just not in a good place right now, I'm home alone in my place.

Comment

If you have any insurance on your car I'm sure it includes liability, which is what injuries to another driver counts as. Your insurance company employs better lawyers than you have ever met, and will tell you exactly what to do each step of the way. As much as a pain as it can be to put in a claim for yourself, this is where insurance companies come up trumps. Unless the insurance company tells you differently don't respond to any correspondence, just forward to where your insurance company tells you, and if he tries to call or show up to talk to you, just keep repeating the name and phone number of the person the insurance company tells you will handle this, and tell him he has to talk to them.

This type of situation is the very best thing about insurance companies, really.
                    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Be aware, however, that your insurance has THEIR (meaning, their stakeholders) best interests at heart and not YOURS. I would actually suggest retaining your own council if your insurance starts to act hinky. Sadly, that's just the way world turns in terms of litigation in this country.
                      But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                      And it's not what I wanted to be
                      The weight on me
                      Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

I would keep Ophbalance's advice in mind, but as long as your insurance company is decent they should be working to handle the other guy's medical expenses. I second all of NecessaryCatharsis's advice. When I was injured in an accident where the other guy was at fault, it was our two insurance companies that duked it out over the expenses; there was no correspondence with the other guy at all. Hopefully your insurance company can sort everything out for you!
                        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I had that same problem....

I hit a guy on the back passenger quarter panel, his car spun and front driver side wheel blew out when it hit the curb. insurance got exchanged, everyone was ok, (minor bruising). My car got fixed, guys car get fixed, all is well.

ONE YEAR LATER!!!! he sues us for emotional and physical damages to himself...

My parents (whos insurance I was on) insurance handled everything so I'm not sure entirly what happened.....but ONE YEAR later....I couldn't figure it out.
                          It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Working...
                          X