Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So you want me to change how technology works...just for you??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
    And regarding the size of the storage not being quite as advertised? When I bought my first ipod, this confused me as well. My roommate at the time had a ton of apple products so he was able to clue me in and I got it right away.
    When I got my first iPod, I made sure to look at where it was giving me the breakdown for what parts of the storage were used for what, so I didn't end up confused. Of course, I was already to listen after having dealt with hard drives that say they hold X amount but then only let me store Y amount of stuff, and being confused...until I looked at the breakdown on one install and realized, "Oh, the rest is being used for stuff like the partition information. Got it!" So I was already aware that firmware and whatnot would need space on my iPod.
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

With hard drives, there's also the discrepancy where they call 1000 bytes a kilobyte, when it's actually 1024. The difference wasn't really that significant when it was all kilobytes and megabytes, but now that it's gigabytes and terabytes, it really looks like you're getting screwed.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
        Unintentional, I assure you. I was actually quoting myself from numerous occasions spanning about three decades.
        I feel your pain. The actual quote from the show is: "People...what a bunch of bastards."
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
          I feel your pain. The actual quote from the show is: "People...what a bunch of bastards."
          Yes. Yes it is.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            Yes. Yes it is.
            And, yes they are.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
              With hard drives, there's also the discrepancy where they call 1000 bytes a kilobyte, when it's actually 1024. The difference wasn't really that significant when it was all kilobytes and megabytes, but now that it's gigabytes and terabytes, it really looks like you're getting screwed.
              And that's why we wind up with weird things like "mebibytes"...
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                And that's why we wind up with weird things like "mebibytes"...
                In considering the reliability of some of the drives I've used, maybibytes would be more accurate.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                  Because there's an appropriate car analogy for every situation:
                  "Mr SC: If you drive your car by flooring it all the time and keep it in a low gear, do you think you'll still get the advertised gas mileage?" Of course, with that kind of IQ, he'd answer "yes".
                  If you buy tires rated at 100,000 km, but your wheel alignment is way out of spec and you do burnouts every time the light turns green, they WON'T last 100,000 km.

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                  I feel your pain. I used to have similar conversations with people who didn't understand that the estimated yield of an ink or toner was *gasp* an ESTIMATE!! If you're constantly printing big photos it won't print as many pages!!

"But this is supposed to get 750 pages!!!!!!"
                  My understanding is that page ratings are based on text - with ink/toner covering 5% of the page.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

"I DEMAND you fit fifty pounds of shit into this twenty-five pound bag!!!"

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                      "I DEMAND you fit fifty pounds of shit into this twenty-five pound bag!!!"
                      If I put the bag over your head, you won't be able to see if I got the whole fifty pounds in the bag, sir.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        If I put the bag over your head, you won't be able to see if I got the whole fifty pounds in the bag, sir.
                        Wouldn't count anyway, the human head only weighs about eight pounds...
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          If you buy tires rated at 100,000 km, but your wheel alignment is way out of spec and you do burnouts every time the light turns green, they WON'T last 100,000 km.
                          It also depends on your type of driving. I have put 55,000 mile tires on my pizza delivery car. Now I do not do burnout at stoplights/stop signs and I keep my alignment/front end in check.

I did this 2 tire changes in a row (tires $140 - $150 each). Those 55,000 mile tires only lasted me about 23,000 miles (about 11 - 12 months) because of the stop and go VERY urban amount of driving I do for my job. 90% of the miles I put on my car are for work. Now I just get non-special cheaper new tires.
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I admit I'm rough on my phone's battery. I have one of those little portable backup charger things.
                            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Have you considered a Mophie JuicePack case? Saves having to carry 2 items (phone and portable backup charger), just flip a switch to charge the phone from the case's battery. When connected to a charger, it charges the phone's battery first and then the case's.

OtterBox makes a similar product for some phones, but (at the time I was looking - haven't checked recently) not for mine.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I'm lucky, I just remind people that they are in a store, and that giving stuff away is actually the opposite of what a store does. That makes them feel incredibly stupid, they have nothing to say, and give up immediately
                                Last edited by MadMike; 02-28-2016, 02:16 AM. Reason: Holy excessive quoting, Batman!

Comment

Working...
                                X