This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will you just shut up AND LISTEN?!

Background: Sometimes we use a symbol next to a death notice, for ex., an American (or Canadian) flag for veterans, a firefighter logo for firefighters, stuff like that. We even have a shamrock because some people are that proud of their Irish heritage that their family wants to highlight it; we have angels, crosses, etc. /end bg

Crabbyman calls up and asks about this, how do we pick them, etc. I explain we have many already in the system, but if someone wants one we don't have, we'll try to find it or they can send us the art.

He butts in, no, no, who decides? Who? Because he wants to make some suggestions. He wouldn't tell me what, he said he'd drawn some things and wanted to know who to send them to.

And thus began a five minute roundabout with him getting more and more peeved because I wouldn't tell him "who is in charge of this." I DID tell him. NO ONE. I can suggest new symbols, a customer can request one, etc. I'm guessing whatever he sends us will either be stuff no one ever asks for, or stuff that's so badly done we wouldn't use it anyway.

His expectations did not meet reality and so he had to argue with me and interrupt everything I said.

Do you ever get this kind of thing when you try to answer customers' questions?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Once he goes, can I suggest a middle finger next to his death notice?
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I frequently get this kind of thing when I have to answer Mother's perpetual questions.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I work with someone like that. It's exhausting, when he decides that he's not listening to whatever we're trying to say. I once told him to shut up because I wasn't finished answering him. The complaints of my being disrespecful could have filled a whole file drawer.

I can't wait for him to retire.
        It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

"Look Mr. Asshat, we aren't interested in hiring you as our new Death Notice Iconography artist. You can send whatever you want to the general newsroom mailing address, and we will throw it away, as we feel sufficiently well-served by our existing options. If you don't like it, publish your own damn paper."

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Many, many times. The one that immediately springs to mind came from when I worked in a repair shop. My manager would not allow me to give a guess-timate to customers, my explanation had to be "there's a $15 charge to have the technician evaluate it and provide the repair estimate". This constantly led to arguments, but most people could be handled by my charm. However one particular assclown kept me going for over 45 minutes, I'd probably still be going today if I didn't tell him straight up that the argument is over... NOW!

These types have a particular answer in mind, and if you can't provide it, they'll just keep going until they get it, but you can't provide it, but they won't give up until they get it, but you can't provide it, but they won't give up until they get it, then you shoot them.
            D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
            Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
              My manager would not allow me to give a guess-timate to customers, my explanation had to be "there's a $15 charge to have the technician evaluate it and provide the repair estimate".
              At the roofing company we didn't give out estimates or even loose guesstimates either. That provoked arguments too... We'd go round and round, with them telling me that "every other company" they'd called had given them an estimate, then they'd tell me the house square footage, I'd explain that I couldn't do pricing over the phone and offer to set up a time to measure the house for a free estimate, and then they'd start over at "everyone else..."

Now, at the fabric store I get the people who talk in a circle. They have a project. They need advice. I can't give a solid yes or no answer. (usually because I'm not even sure what they are describing) They start explaining the project over again.
              Last edited by notalwaysright; 02-23-2016, 11:32 PM.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                All. The. Freaking. Time! They ask for your help, but talk over you and treat you like you don't know what you're talking about. Then why did you ask for my help?! They don't even listen to what you're saying; they just wait until it's their turn to talk and just babble. Sometimes they don't even wait, and talk over you. So often, I want to say, "You want my help or not? Then shut your mouth, open your ears and listen to what I'm saying."

Now I remember why I wanted to get on the stocking shift. It's worth getting up at oh-dark-thirty to avoid these asshats.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  All. The. Freaking. Time! They ask for your help, but talk over you and treat you like you don't know what you're talking about. Then why did you ask for my help?! They don't even listen to what you're saying; they just wait until it's their turn to talk and just babble.
                  Heh, we posted at almost the same time about basically the same thing. Like Velcro guy. He elaborately explains his project. I suggest something which I now forget, I think it was dowels holding up a backdrop. Whatever. Anyway, after my suggestion he just looks at me and says, "what about Velcro?" Pretty much throwing away my opinion, that he asked for. So I explain why I think my way will work better, and he "listens" and when I'm done he says, "I'll go with Velcro."

Time wasting insults. And these people wonder why retail workers don't seem to care. Why bother caring or trying to be genuinely helpful? This guy didn't give off asshole vibes, I honestly thought he wanted advice, or I wouldn't have bothered.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                    "Look Mr. Asshat, we aren't interested in hiring you as our new Death Notice Iconography artist. You can send whatever you want to the general newsroom mailing address, and we will throw it away, as we feel sufficiently well-served by our existing options. If you don't like it, publish your own damn paper."
                    I hereby nominate this answer as the BEST ANSWER! that I wish I could have given him!

Comment

I once had a lady who kept interrupting me. I was trying to quote her rates, to say "It's $xxx plus tax and $15 resort fee", but I only got so far as "It's $xxx plus..."

She then interrupted me with "what's this resort fee on the website?" I explained it. Then, "Why didn't you say that? That's misleading! You should tell people that when you tell them prices! I want your manager! This is a scam blah blah blah."

I wanted to smack her through the phone, because if she would have just shut up and let me speak I was literally two seconds away from that in my spiel....
                      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                        I once had a lady who kept interrupting me. I was trying to quote her rates, to say "It's $xxx plus tax and $15 resort fee", but I only got so far as "It's $xxx plus..."

She then interrupted me with "what's this resort fee on the website?" I explained it. Then, "Why didn't you say that? That's misleading! You should tell people that when you tell them prices! I want your manager! This is a scam blah blah blah."

I wanted to smack her through the phone, because if she would have just shut up and let me speak I was literally two seconds away from that in my spiel....
                        That's when I usually say something like, "Yes, ma'am, that's why I was trying to tell you when you interrupted me."

Comment

Many, many times. The most memorable was the customer who came into the petrol station at a time when we had no diesel for sale, due to a problem at the refinery supplying the entire area. Every time I tried to tell him that we had no diesel, (which he ought to have realised from the four signs he drove past to get in) he talked right over me with nonsense like, "I bet you have some round the back" and "There's probably a little left in the tank." Firstly, no we don't. Secondly, yes there is, but it's reserved for ambulances. Eventually, I just got sick of him constantly interrupting me and ignoring what I was trying to tell him, and I just walked away and went inside the kiosk.
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

I seem to get stuck in loops all the time:

(1) SC: How much will you give me for my car?

(2) Me: We don't actually want your car, if we have to buy it from you in order for you to buy a new one from us then that's different but we need to find you a car you like first. Which car were you looking at?

(3) SC: I don't know, I haven't really looked. I don't care. It depends on how much you will give me?

(4) Me: We'll offer you the auction value. You can easily find this out yourself online. I can't stress enough that we're not a car buying service, you want a company like we'llbuyalltheshitcarsnoquestionsasked. Are you actually looking to change your car?

(5) SC: I don't know I haven't looked. Maybe I want one like that *pointing* yeah the blue one with the things. How much will you give me for my car?

Repeat steps (2) - (5)

Comment

Quoth Ahbugger View Post
                              I seem to get stuck in loops all the time:

(1) SC: How much will you give me for my car?

(2) Me: We don't actually want your car, if we have to buy it from you in order for you to buy a new one from us then that's different but we need to find you a car you like first. Which car were you looking at?

(3) SC: I don't know, I haven't really looked. I don't care. It depends on how much you will give me?

(4) Me: We'll offer you the auction value. You can easily find this out yourself online. I can't stress enough that we're not a car buying service, you want a company like we'llbuyalltheshitcarsnoquestionsasked. Are you actually looking to change your car?

(5) SC: I don't know I haven't looked. Maybe I want one like that *pointing* yeah the blue one with the things. How much will you give me for my car?

Repeat steps (2) - (5)
                              Twenty-five cents and a stick of gum. No? Thanks for playing, bye now!

Comment

Working...
                              X