This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brotherhood of the Rattling Pants

It's 2001. I'm working at a large, very well known electronics box store chain in the music and software department. We hadn't yet been bought out by a different, equally large and well known electronics box store chain so we hadn't yet implemented any of their mind-bogglingly absurd security procedures, and thus were just left to do our jobs as we were originally hired to. Next to my department was the cameras and cell phones department, wherein worked a buddy who formerly worked in my department. One evening, a good hour or so before closing, he calls me over quietly. From his vantage at the cell phone booth, he can see directly down the console software aisle, and he points straight down it at someone. There, at the far end of that aisle, probably 30 feet away from us, was some kid in his later teens, grabbing PS2 games and shoving them down his voluminous track pants, the leg openings held closed by extra elastic bands.

Understand that all console software was housed in bulky, locked Plexiglass security containers that roughly triple the volume of the DVD-sized games within. Besides requiring a special unlocking doohickey to open, they also contain security strips that you can't remove without destroying the case.

So there he was, shoving game after game down his pants. Front, back, sides, wherever there was room, down another one went, clacking against the ones they slid down on top of. We could only look at each other in mute disbelief. We didn't need to speak, the questions were obvious to both of us. How did he expect to move with his pantlegs wobbling about, clacking the contents noisily together like sacks of loose Lego? And even if he did somehow manage to ninja his way silently to the front doors hoping everyone mistook his lumbering gait and bulging, lumpy pantlegs with medically exceptional and oddly specific fat deposits, how did he expect to get past the security scanner without setting it off like an air raid siren? Was he hoping the sheer volume of security tags would just cause it to spontaneously explode so he could escape in the ensuing panic? We actually wanted him to try and get away with it just to see what would happen. (Our policy was that we couldn't stop anyone 'til they'd left the store.)

Sadly, we never got the chance. Suddenly he noticed us noticing him and promptly began evacuating his trousers -- of games, not waste material. At least I hope it was only the former. Out they came whereupon he set them down in a pile on the floor. Then he took off. We went over to examine the pile. 27. There were 27 games there, all in their security cases. 27 bulky security cases with games shoved down his pants.

We gave each other a look. "I'm not touching it."
    Last edited by Mindfield; 03-09-2016, 08:21 PM.

Quoth Mindfield View Post
    Suddenly he noticed us noticing him and promptly began evacuating his trousers -- of games, not waste material.
    I'm SO glad you clarified that...
    Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Oh come now. He couldn't exactly run away when the alarms went off like an air raid siren, now could he?
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Now be nice, without dumb criminals, we wouldn't have "Dumbest Criminal" anthologies on TV where guys, for example, clothesline themselves into unconsciousness by trying to run out the front door of a store with a 2x4 held longways....
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Your answer is better than mine.
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            Now be nice, without dumb criminals, we wouldn't have "Dumbest Criminal" anthologies on TV where guys, for example, clothesline themselves into unconsciousness by trying to run out the front door of a store with a 2x4 held longways....
            That sounds beautiful. I need to find one of these anthologies.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
              Oh come now. He couldn't exactly run away when the alarms went off like an air raid siren, now could he?
              Perhaps "run" is too strong a word. Waddle, lumber, shuffle, clamber, these would have been more technically accurate. Really, just follow the plasticky clattering noises, you'll hear them from half a mile away.

Comment

I do like a good dumb criminal story. It reminds me that stealing is stupid in the first place, but also it often attracts people of such extraordinary stupidity that their own methods get them caught before they even had a chance to properly get away.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                  That sounds beautiful. I need to find one of these anthologies.
                  Youtube "Worlds Dumbest Criminals". Danger: your afternoon will be spent LMAOing
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I thought only dogs did that!
                    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

A long time ago I worked in a military commissary. A customer came to me and reported that several little girls were putting Twinkies into their pants, ending with, "And I hardly think that's sanitary." I yelled for the store manager, who dealt with the situation. It blew me away that this woman was more concerned with the fact that putting Twinkies into one's pants was unsanitary, rather than the fact that the little girls were trying to steal.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                        Youtube "Worlds Dumbest Criminals". Danger: your afternoon will be spent LMAOing
                        Duly warned.
                        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Reminds me of the story I read here about the idiot who jammed a rotisserie chicken down his pants, then ended up collapsing in pain halfway to the exit with third degree burns all over his legs and crotch.

Comment

Hey, with any luck, Mr. Chicken removed himself from the gene pool.
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Second degree burns maybe. Third are actually LESS painful because they destroy the nerves. That type of burn requires very high heat, and usually result from some kind of flash event.
                              "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
                              X