This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Quiz

Hi, longtime lurker first time poster. I'm a longtime employee in a public library. I love my job and while most of our patrons are great, we do get a lot of problem people. I thought I'd start posting with one of the worst incidents I've ever seen. I'm putting it in quiz form, that just seems to emphasize all the bad choices made here.

You're a twentysomething man who's spent the last few months in the public library using the free wifi from open to close every day and have barely spoken a word to anyone, staff or other patrons. One day you notice an attractive teenage girl who's accompanied by her father and younger siblings. What do you do?

a) do nothing. underage girls are off limits
    b) admire her from afar
    c) ask her for a date
    d) slip her a note with your name and phone number

If you're the man in this story, you chose d. Now what's the best way to slip her this note?

a) when she's not with father
    b) when neither her father or siblings are around
    c) in front of her father and siblings

Yep, you went with c. What is the best place to slip her this note?

a) in the middle of the main aisle
    b) at the service desk
    c) somewhere in the stacks
    d) follow them outside and give it to her in the parking lot

You picked d- the parking lot. The girl and her family go back inside to report you to the staff. What do you do?

a) leave. you don't want trouble
    b) apologize and leave
    c) go back inside and act like nothing happened
    d) go back inside, apologize and hope it blows over
    e) wait in the parking lot for them to come back

You chose e. Of course you did. The father is furious and tells you off. What do you do?

a) apologize
    b) get the hell out
    c) deny everything
    d) tell the father there's nothing wrong with you hitting on his daughter

Continuing the streak you picked d. Father blows up, sends kids back inside and tears you a new one. What do you do?

a) realize you made a big mistake and leave
    b) go back in the library
    c) argue with the father, then go back inside

You chose c, argued and went back inside. Security tells you to leave. What do you do?

a) leave
    b) apologize and ask to stay
    c) ignore them. who are they to tell you what to do?
    d) refuse to leave and argue with security
    e) make a scene by refusing to leave and arguing with security

Keeping up the string of poor choices you went with e. While you're making a scene the father comes back inside yelling at you what a pervert you are. What do you do?

a) leave
    b) refuse to leave
    c) refuse to leave, keep insisting there's nothing wrong with anything you've done, yell and argue with the father and security

You picked c. The situation has attracted a lot of attention from other patrons. Security has presented you with a notice of trespass and informed you are permanently banned from the library. Staff tells you they are calling the police. What do you do?

a) leave. this just got serious
    b) make a show of defiance and leave before the cops show up
    c) continue yelling, arguing, and refusing to leave

Yep, you picked c. Police have arrived are telling you to leave. What do you do?

a) leave
    b) defy the cops

Being the fine, upstanding citizen you are you chose b. Not wanting to cuff you, drag you out and have a very nasty scene in front of a library full of families and children, the cops thoughtfully allow you to sit and read quietly for 30 minutes until you finally leave under your own power. What's your next step?

a) stay away from the library
    b) violate the ban the very next day

You picked b. The manager was absent the day of the incident so you speak to them. What do you say?

a) apologize for the whole incident and plead to come back
    b) insist you are blameless and everyone else is at fault

Being the genius you are, you went with b. Manager is not an idiot, repeats you're permabanned and will be arrested if you violate the ban again and tells you to take it up with admin. What do you do?

a) give up
    b) threaten the security guards

Was there every any doubt? You picked b. Manager is not intimidated and goes to call the police. What do you do?

a) actually give up, leave and don't bother the library again
    b) continue being an ass and get arrested

You picked a. A! Oh frabjous day! You finally made an intelligent decision, left and haven't bothered the library again. Keep it that way.

I give him an F-.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

the cops thoughtfully allow you to sit and read quietly for 30 minutes until you finally leave under your own power.
      Someone else made a bad decision here besides the perv.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
        I give him an F-.
        Well he got one question right. I'd say that deserves removing the minus. So just an F.

Which is still straight Fail.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Yes, with one right answer, that is just short of epic fail
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
            Yes, with one right answer, that is just short of epic fail
            Just short? I'd say he fell off the fail tree and hit every branch TWICE on the way down!

Is there any word on what happened next? Somehow I don't see the judge being too lenient on this less-than-shining example of humanity...

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Someone else made a bad decision here besides the perv.
              I respectfully disagree. There are plenty of unusual but effective ways at defusing a volatile situation. If the cops were really serious about not making a scene in the library it's not outside the realm of possibility they saw fit to allow the guy a few minutes to calm down (monitoring him VERY closely of course) rather than risk a violent confrontation.
              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I thought you you take the shot, remove the hostage from the situation. Or is that a different kind of pop quiz
                ludo ergo sum

Comment

Beautifully written debut, little_miss_springfield

I do wonder why libraries seem to attract this sort of thing, though.

And your story reminds me of a fun tale from the past:

A young man was driving on one of our main thoroughfares. He sees a lovely 13-year-old girl in a passing car. Struck by her beauty, he keeps pace with the car and in a bid to catch her attention, dramatically puffs on a pipe - of a style often associated with illicit substances.

Now what's wrong with this picture? Start with the fact that cars don't drive themselves. The 13-year-old's father was behind the wheel. He, surprisingly, was not impressed. Nor was he at all confused about what the pipe contained.

He'd seen a lot of pot pipes. Because he happened to be the county sheriff. Not a deputy. THE sheriff, driving his unmarked sheriff-mobile.

So Sheriff Daddy drops back and radios to deputies. Once backup arrives, he flips on his blue lights and pulls the would-be Lothario over, and as it turns out, throwing pipe, pot and papers out of the window in full view of the sheriff does not prevent one from being charged with possession of things one is not supposed to have. I can't begin to imagine the variants of "oh shit" that went through that idiot's mind in the course of the next half-hour.
                  Last edited by wordgirl; 03-10-2016, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Quoth little_miss_springfield View Post

You picked a. A! Oh frabjous day! You finally made an intelligent decision, left and haven't bothered the library again. Keep it that way.

Should he:

a. get a Taser to the balls
                    b. get banned from access to computers and cell phones
                    c. labeled a sexual predator
                    d. all of the above

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                      I respectfully disagree. There are plenty of unusual but effective ways at defusing a volatile situation. If the cops were really serious about not making a scene in the library it's not outside the realm of possibility they saw fit to allow the guy a few minutes to calm down (monitoring him VERY closely of course) rather than risk a violent confrontation.
                      And depending on where this is happening, the public may not support the police if the situation gets violent and draws media attention.

So I can understand them not wanting to take the risk.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I understand not wanting to cause a scene and possible end up with injuries and damage. Totally. However, it disturbs me more than a little that it seems nothing happened to this person, except a ban from the library. Considering how persistent he was, I have no doubt that he will do something like this again. He doesn't realize that what he did was wrong, he needs help. At this point there's probably just a report with his name in it. That won't help the next person he does it to.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                          At this point there's probably just a report with his name in it. That won't help the next person he does it to.
                          Actually it will help the next person. Because it shows a pattern. And good judges looooove them a pattern. With a pattern you can throw an actual jail sentence instead of probation for first time offense.
                          Last edited by Teskeria; 03-10-2016, 08:39 PM. Reason: added good

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                            Just short? I'd say he fell off the fail tree and hit every branch TWICE on the way down!
                            Yes, just short. A truly epic fail would be all wrong answers.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                            X