This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oi, talk about flashbacks

So today as my first official day at the Service desk and I only 2 hours into my shift I suffered an experience that sent me spinning back to my call center days.

So I'm at the desk and we get a lull, as my co-worker B starts to sort carts and E hangs back at the computer, bullshitting with us, I grab the phone nearest me as it rings

(the scene is set)

ME: Ooooh! A shiney nickel!
    EWPL: Entitlement Whore Phone Lady RAWR
    E: CSM of awesomeness
    B: Silent, but cool co worker

ME: My Area Wal-Mart, Customer Service, this is Enigma speaking.
    EWPL: Say that again? Enigma? Spell that please?
    ME: Er? E-N-I-G-M-A
    EWPL: And your last name Enigmer (yes, she did say my name wrong)
    ME: I'm sorry m'am I'm not at liberty to give my last name, what can I help you with?
    EWPL: My name Is Margaret Lynn Collingsworth, I was at your store today at 2:36 and I purchased 182.24 worth of items. Now the cashier had to slid my capitol 1 card 4 times and it didn't work, she said it didn't go through and we used my discover. Well I just called capitol one and they have FOUR charges on my card. FOUR!!!! SHE SAID IT DIDN"T GO THROUGH. What are you going to do about this, Energmas?
    ME: *apparently at this point my eyes went as wide as saucers and I looked a little shocked, because B was crippled by laughter even though he couldn't hear my conversation, and all E said to me was "Either they are completly psycho, or we need to jumpstart your brain" So I said:* I'm terribly sorry to hear that m'am, if you would let me put you on hold for one breif moment, I will certainly get you someone who can fix that for you.
    EWPL: It better be quick.

I quickly put her on hold and then handed the phone straight to E saying "here, you fix this". He just laughed at me and called up our AM to fix it. But wow, I have answered phones up there before, but no other call has sent my mind reeling back to working in a call center. I swear, I could almost see that sweet, cherished mute button before my fingers.
    Last edited by Enigma; 06-08-2008, 05:29 PM. Reason: typo's
    "I just figured you would be terrified, and I would be sarcastic about it."

..... where they actual charges or we are going to hold that much from you until we figure out whats happened charges...
    also today i uttered the words "UGGGG I HATE CALL CENTERS!" and i felt dirty, or so dirty
    all be it was because they told someone we would take and break 100 no problem an 25 dollar order and then left no notes for us to know i need change for 100!!!

Comment

I left out a little bit of the story, where I asked her if they said it was an actual charge or just holds (she said she called because her card wouldn't work and they told her it was FLAGGED FOR SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIOUR, OH NOES!). Anyway, the resolution that took half an hour to weasle out of her was that they were indeed, holds and that she would have to wait until monday for them to be reversed.

Comment

I have quite a few guests who don't understand authorizations (aka holds). I have been to restaurants and many other hotels that authorize a credit card first before charges are finalized. Our system even authorizes more then room & tax just in case long distance phone calls are made or movies are watched.

We get at least a couple people a month who claim we have already charged them & overcharged them at that. wow.
        When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

I don't understand why customers insist on calling the company that authorized the sell instead of calling their credit card company/bank. THEY are the ones who will credit the charges back, I mean come on, common sense. I always call my bank when i see unauthorized charges and they ALWAYS credit me back and send me a form to fill out.

Just like this woman who called in to complain about charges from X company on her credit card account. i explained to her that she can call her credit card company but she demanded a supervisor . Like what the hell are we going to do about that charge? Somebody could have her credit card number and charging it. Its not like x company just took her card and charged it just to piss her off.
          Last edited by MoonChild2007; 06-08-2008, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I often get wary-eyed people asking me if we are charging their card twice when the card didn't go through the first time. I just say "no" and that our systems are only set to charge a card once. If the card misread, it didn't charge you.

Keep in mind that these people are swiping the card themselves and can see the register say "invalid card" or "transaction not allowed". If the screen doesn't ask you to sign and you don't get a receipt, you weren't charged.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
              it was because they told someone we would take and break 100 no problem an 25 dollar order and then left no notes for us to know i need change for 100!!!
              are you sure the call center agent said that-remember customers lie-I actually put a customer on hold to call a store because the customer was telling the store agent that I said to give them a $400 phone for free because they dropped theirs in a puddle outside and didn't buy insurance.
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post

Keep in mind that these people are swiping the card themselves and can see the register say "invalid card" or "transaction not allowed". If the screen doesn't ask you to sign and you don't get a receipt, you weren't charged.
                That's what gets me too! They are swiping it, they see the "invalid" card, we need it again because we didn't get your card! And of course we don't charge you more than once, because once your charged the cache clears, and more importantly a RECEIPT prints. That's why I was wary with this lady, but apparently the holds went through, I can't figure out why they did if the card ended up not working, but oh well.

Comment

Quoth thehippie777 View Post
                  I have quite a few guests who don't understand authorizations (aka holds). I have been to restaurants and many other hotels that authorize a credit card first before charges are finalized. Our system even authorizes more then room & tax just in case long distance phone calls are made or movies are watched.

We get at least a couple people a month who claim we have already charged them & overcharged them at that. wow.
                  Same at my hotel. The worst thing was when this guy came in with the Uber Rate (Employee discount). I authorized the room with his credit card and a couple days later (he was there for a week) he asked me to take the authorizations off his card so he and his buddies could go clubbing.

Me: Sure, I can do that. But you'd have to either give me a different card, now. Or pay cash. Now.
                  SC: ooh, I don't have that much cash on meeeee.... (a grown man.... actually whined at me)
                  Me: Well then I can't take the authorizations off.
                  SC: But I need that money to buy you vodka!
                  (I'd been talking with his uber cool obviously gay friend he was bunking with and the conversation of favoured liquors came up)
                  Me: Well, I wouldn't be able to accept it anyways. I'm not allowed to have alcohol in my possession while at work. I could be fired.
                  SC: No you won't!
                  (I love when SCs insist I won't get fired... -_-)
                  Me: I will not take the authorizations off.
                  SC: Can you take them off in the morning if I bring you cash then?
                  Me: Yes.
                  SC: *shuffles away and I don't see him again*

Turns out he left it on his card and didn't bother with going clubbing. The best clubs are in downtown and they're... pathetic, at best. The authorizations? Only $10 over the cost of the room, plus taxes. Yeah, go clubbing on $10 dude.
                  Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                    are you sure the call center agent said that-remember customers lie-I actually put a customer on hold to call a store because the customer was telling the store agent that I said to give them a $400 phone for free because they dropped theirs in a puddle outside and didn't buy insurance.
                    well seeing as all the guy litterly had on him was 100, insisted he had warned the call center lady, and this is not the first time they've done this, usually with 50s, and the guy look surprised when i told him we cant take 100s . but then i have hard time with indian and mexican accents to the point where ive got yelled at by my sister for complaining that her coworker couldnt speak english when in fact her accent was so thick and she only spoke alittle enlish but enough to communicate i couldnt understand her and when youve delivered 6 large pizzas only to be told um your a day early, because they cant be bothered to do a timed order maybe im jaded

Comment

Working...
                    X