This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Question

Not sucky, just odd. Well, I wound up looking like an idiot too, but who cares about a lowly front desk clerk? Mods, please move if this is the wrong place.

I got a rather interesting phone call today. I had to reboot my brain after this one. It started out normal enough and didn't get odd until the end.

Me: Good afternoon! Thank you for calling <hotel>, this is EQ, how can I help you?
    SC: Yeah, is this the <hotel> off <tollroad and highway>?
    Me: Yes it is. How can I help you?
    SC: I have a couple questions about your rooms?
    Me: Sure. What would you like to know?
    SC: What are you rates for <date>
    Me: Our rates for both the single rooms and the rooms with two beds are Blah, plus tax.
    SC: Does your hotel have a pool?
    Me: (Not a room, but okay. People get these things turned around all the time) Sure do. We have an outdoor pool.
    SC: You have an outdoor pool?
    Me: ...Yes ma'am.
    SC: Do your rooms have kitchens?
    Me: Yes Ma'am. Our Rooms with the single bed has a half kitchen, which is a fridge, microwave and bar sink. Our rooms with the two queens have a full sized kitchen, like the one in your house.
    SC: What's in a full sized kitchen?
    Me: (Everything?) ...A fridge, microwave, bar sink, stove and dishwasher.
    CS: What are your rates for the room with the single bed?
    Me: (I already said this...) It's Blah, plus tax.
    SC: And the rooms with the two beds?
    Me: .... It's the same price. Blah plus Tax.
    SC: What's the square footage of your rooms?
    Me:
    Me: *Blinks at phone
    Me: I'm sorry Ma'am, I do not know.
    SC: ........
    Me: ........
    SC: *hums to herself
    Me: .........
    SC: Can I make a reservation?
    Me: Of course.

Tell me, how many people ask you the square footage of the room?! Any rooms?! I will admit, the rooms are approximately the same size, with a few slightly larger then others but come on....
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

The only thing I can think of is that they are in some way mobility impaired and need a decent size room, other than that I'm stumped...
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

SC: *hums to herself*
      Was she humming the Jeopardy theme? <(o0.)>
      The pen may be mightier than the sword, but the D20 rules all!!!

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post

Tell me, how many people ask you the square footage of the room?! Any rooms?! I will admit, the rooms are approximately the same size, with a few slightly larger then others but come on....
        If I take 100 calls at least 5 to 10
        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
          The only thing I can think of is that they are in some way mobility impaired and need a decent size room, other than that I'm stumped...
          Or she had a bad experience with a really small hotel room. She might have had an issue with clausterphobia that means she can't really have a small room.

As for the kitchenette and pool questions, they seem reasonable to me...
          I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
            Or she had a bad experience with a really small hotel room. She might have had an issue with clausterphobia that means she can't really have a small room.

As for the kitchenette and pool questions, they seem reasonable to me...
            The kitchenette and pool questions are reasonable. It's the size of the rooms I have a problem with. None of our rooms are small, they're quite large. Our rooms are designed for three beds (this way we can the two queens and the sofa bed that opens into a queen and still be comfortable, not cramped).

But I have no idea how to find out what the square footage is until I go and measure myself. No way that's gonna happen. There's too many rooms for that!
            Last edited by Evil Queen; 06-09-2008, 01:04 AM.
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Umm I have a vague idea of our rooms sizes, well had... we sent our maintence guy up to measure our rooms once (Like you they're more or less the same but we've got a few that are a little bigger). I hate that question. I think that information needs to go on our website.
              "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

(this way we can the two queens and the soda bed that opens into a queen and still be comfortable, not cramped).
                !
                mmm, soda bed, that almost sounds tasty

...sorry, that typo was just way to open to make a joke at.
                If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I got the square footage question a few times. The one that still makes me scratch my head was "How big are the bathtubs?" Different call, but under the DON'T want to know category, "Can you fit 8 people in the (In room) hot tub?"

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post

Soda bed sounds like an industrial process to me. "Yeah, we lay the iron ore out on a soda bed and wait for it to fulminate....."

As for the square footage question, if it seems likely (as SE implies) to come up again, just walk off the smallest and give 'em a "they are all 900 square feet or larger." answer. I know it is succumbing to the SC, but if it's easier on you.......

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post

Quoth sms001 View Post
                      Soda bed sounds like an industrial process to me. "Yeah, we lay the iron ore out on a soda bed and wait for it to fulminate....."
                      Have I mentioned I like you guys?

Comment

I haven't been asked in a long time, but I have gotten that question...but I always wonder if I knew would the person on the other side of the phone understand? lol
                        When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Comment

Has your hotel considered putting up a website? All that info and more can be answered with ease, just add pics! Nothing too fancy, but a picture is worth a 1000 words and can answer many questions.

[sarcasm]Just have your managers 9 year old nephew create same![/sarcasm]
                          *There is no greater gift than to be reborn with every heartbeat*
                          *Grudges should only be held for as long as it takes to deliver a proper vengence!*

Comment

Have I mentioned I like you guys?
                            HEY!!! i THOUGHT YOU LIKED ME -insert sad jack sparrow face from the second movie-

Comment

Quoth Leopardmadcat View Post
                              Has your hotel considered putting up a website? All that info and more can be answered with ease, just add pics! Nothing too fancy, but a picture is worth a 1000 words and can answer many questions.
                              Yeah, my work has a website. It has lots of pictures of the hotel all over the stupid thing too. We're part of a chain, massive chain, so we're everywhere.

And, YES, Sliceanddice, I like you too. *pets*

Comment

Working...
                              X