Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mask Covidiot (and managerial spinelessness)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mask Covidiot (and managerial spinelessness)

Some dude was walking around bare-faced through the store today, and when I asked him if he had a mask, he replied with, "Do you have one?", and when I replied with, "I'm wearing mine", he retorted with "That's good" before walking away. Later I saw in standing in line, and who was bagging on that particular register...? My front-end manager, who didn't say "Boo" to him, so I got to hear him drop a "Nice mask...!" crack as he walked out the door, but not before he took his time at the floral department.

Fuck's sake.

It sucks when management doesn't stand up. We had one today and none of us noticed haha. When I did I told the manager about it and let her deal with it. If I have to get into it with someone and it puts me in the right frame of mind, I'll walk out. I already decided. I'll especially do it if no one backs me up but I think they will. I do believe we'll be closed by month end anyway. Otherwise I wouldn't still be there.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My company has a mask policy but like many places we're not going to stop people who aren't wearing one. I have two coworkers who are flat out telling people that we're not enforcing it. I've had a few people ask me and I say we're not turning people away. I figure the less said the better. Overexplaining things to people never works.
      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I think it's because most employees/managers don't want to risk being attacked and/or calling the police on someone, and therefore making a scene.

Or something like that.

I was at a big box home improvement store a couple of weeks back, because I needed to replace a part on my bathroom sink. I was masked up, and I think most of the employees were, too. But of course, some lady walked in right behind me, no mask. And I don't think they said anything to her.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

My current job has security guards, so everyone is complying (I did call out Stupidvisor once for not covering his nose...GM saw that and was not impressed).

OldJob...it varies. On one shopping trip I was blindsided by some old lady not wearing a mask who insisted on getting up in my face to ask...something. Maybe she thought I still worked there (hmmm, so I should be less efficient in my shopping?). I told the manager and he replied "well, we can't make people wear masks"...then what's the point of the big "Per Government Order" sign out front?
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            My current job has security guards, so everyone is complying (I did call out Stupidvisor once for not covering his nose...GM saw that and was not impressed).

OldJob...it varies. On one shopping trip I was blindsided by some old lady not wearing a mask who insisted on getting up in my face to ask...something. Maybe she thought I still worked there (hmmm, so I should be less efficient in my shopping?). I told the manager and he replied "well, we can't make people wear masks"...then what's the point of the big "Per Government Order" sign out front?
            Reminds me of the lady we had who demanded to be let in line first because “she’s risking her life shopping here”. Well then show up for senior hour, curbside, or have shit ordered to your house. Nobody’s making you shop here and now and nobody is going to cater to you unique and special snowflake you.
            Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Trixie, a few months ago management did expect employees to enforce masks in store, but I guess there was pushback (rightly so--I wouldn't set myself up for confrontation unless I had ironclad assurances that management would back up what is basically a health department directive). I saw a coworker report an unmasked delivery driver to security and she was told "if I don't see it I can't say anything". Delivery drivers come in through the warehouse/loading dock so apparently are not subject to the same requirements customers are.

My mom has a friend who's elderly and paranoid about catching Covid (while he is at risk for complications if contracted, catching it is no greater than anyone else). But he doesn't like wearing a mask...well that's a solution to "not catching it". Granted he has a big head, but I bought him one of the masks I use which should have no problem fitting.

When we were in the thick of this he would call us up with a shopping list. When we inevitably come up emptyhanded on TP or brand-specific cleaning items he'd pitch a fit and say we went to the wrong store...unless you're paying for gas, time and 'essential worker hazard pay' we're not hitting every grocery store in town. You know when we go to the farm. Either give us a comprehensive list on time, get yer ass up for senior shopping--there's a reason it's so early, they just finished stocking--or get delivery.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I've lost track of the number of customers obviously above the age of 70 shopping at all times of the day instead of the early-bird "senior hours"...and likely as not to complain about the lack of T.P., meat and cleaning supplies. Dude, GET UP EARLIER.

Comment

I call those people "Maskholes"
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I really don't get why people have to be such babies about wearing a mask! Frankly it's a good way to make a fashion statement. Nowadays you can get any pattern you want on them. So why not have fun with it? I have 2 witchy masks, and 2 halloween ones, and I love them.
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

One of my faves spotted online had a Claymore-esque message on it (as in the munitions): "This side towards enemy"
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                        I have 2 witchy masks, and 2 halloween ones, and I love them.
                        Cool! I made some out of leftover fabric from other projects. They've got a pretty pine tree print from Christmas fabric. I think I'll make some Halloween themed ones, too.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                          I really don't get why people have to be such babies about wearing a mask! Frankly it's a good way to make a fashion statement.
                          A friend of mine just sent over some pics with her new mask. It's a day-of-the-dead style lower half of a skull, placed so that the nose and mouth areas are in the same locations as her own nose and mouth. My wife and I both told her it was very cool!!
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I've seen masks like that. Others have the lower half of the face of a cat, a witch, the Joker, or others. Perfect for Halloween! (Half the people are wearing masks anyway, right?!)
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I had a customer who had a mask with an animal face on it and she was talking so much I was distracted by watching the mask and not to what she was saying. I think it was one of her first times out of the house in a while so she was talking a lot, not sure if she noticed I wasn't saying much.

My company started selling masks through our photo area and they had an employee promotion to get one for a discount. I got one with donuts on it because I donut care. Wait. I mean looking at donuts make people happy.
                              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X