This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We do thrive on those things.
    But we normally expect migrations to go well...as I said before, little 1s and 0s marching across to the new server.

Almost always when changing code/platforms/updates/hardware there's little itty bitty annoying things that happen. Rarely is it ever a crapalanche.

Pedersen, I bet you were expecting roses and only got daisies. You still did good..short bit of down time, (and this is not a money making site!) and getting it handled. All of us members are all over the globe, so there is really no way to take it down/off without hitting someone.

Same @ my job. Part of the company is West Coast, Conneticut, East Coast, London, Shanghai...
    Any reboots I do can make hiccups. So I schedule them for the slow spots, pray and it works. Shoot, the worst that happened is that I had to make a ticket for DC to manually boot a server that didn't want to come back up.

See? Small burps. No crapalanche. You did great!!!!

If you ever do a migrate/code infusion job perfectly, let me know. I think fairies bring those to us.
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
      Seconded!

Rapscallion

Comment

Is it possible to make a skin for the new server that has black on white text like the old one? I took a quick look at the new server, and the text was black-on-black (Firefox 2.0.0.20 running under Win 98 SE), so I had to highlight things to see anything.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Are wea talking about the front pages of the site?

Rapscallion

Comment

I just feel like I should done something better.
            I think that's the endless mantra of a geek. Lord knows I said this a LOT when I was setting up the work database and server.

You done good!
            "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
              Okay, suit yourself....
              I know it's weird, it's just how I am. I feel like I should have had everything, backend, frontend, everything, done and prepared. Instead, it's only now that I think I've finished all of it. At least, all that I have left on my list is documentation issues. Those I can work on this week.

Quoth Cutenoob View Post

If you ever do a migrate/code infusion job perfectly, let me know. I think fairies bring those to us.
              I've had them. They take a lot of planning, a lot of preparatory work, and are a bitch to pull off. But they can be done. I wasn't aiming for perfect, just for marginally good enough.

I got that. But it meant leaving a few of the old server pieces not running right away, and leaving some of the known (and open) issues until after the move. For instance: the "Meet the Mods" page needs an update. Ree has those notes, just needs to know what to do. The XMas Card List manager tool was down until last night. A couple of behind the scenes tools weren't prepped. Backups weren't running properly. Lots of little pieces that I just didn't have time to get done, tested, and working in advance that should have been.

The old server was falling apart too rapidly, and I was out of time to do it slowly. That's what I mean by having done better.

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Is it possible to make a skin for the new server that has black on white text like the old one? I took a quick look at the new server, and the text was black-on-black (Firefox 2.0.0.20 running under Win 98 SE), so I had to highlight things to see anything.
              This problem was one of the known issues. It should now be fixed properly. Turns out that the site was using a feature that was only available in FF3.6 and up. I've implemented a very small change that worked for me when I just tried it with Firefox 3.5.

Quoth Betweenshades View Post
              I think that's the endless mantra of a geek. Lord knows I said this a LOT when I was setting up the work database and server.

You done good!
              It probably is. I can't count the number of things where I've said "I could do this better."

Thank you.

Comment

Ya done good! I never noticed a thing. :P

Comment

Quoth Flying Grype View Post
                  Ya done good! I never noticed a thing. :P
                  Yes, the only thing I have noticed is that I don't get the "server busy" error any more.
                  I can't see how the move could have been done better. There will always be loose ends to take care of.

Comment

I can't count the number of things where I've said "I could do this better."
                    It's how we become better. It's a good thing until you beat yourself up.
                    "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                      I know it's weird, it's just how I am. I feel like I should have had everything, backend, frontend, everything, done and prepared.

Yeah, I understand.

I'm not particularly OCD about most things, but just a very few. (And OCD is probably too strong of a description, perfectionist probably describes it better).

But, if I were in your shoes, I probably would have been the same way, since other people are relying upon me. If it's something just for myself, and wouldn't much of an effect on anyone else, I'd probably let little stuff slide, or just give up altogether for awhile, and go back to it later. (Most likely much later! )

I think that might be why, even after 30+ years of jobs with one on one customer contact, I still have trouble dealing with unhappy customers. Even if I realize it's not my fault, and that they are just being an EW, or if it's some corporate/management policy/decision I have no control over. Someone is unhappy, and in their eyes, (at least in my mind) I've failed.

Hell, I'm like that in non-work situations too!

But yeah, just remember you're hard work is appreciated, probably dozens of times more than what has been said on this thread, as not everyone is going to comment here.

Mike
                      Meow.........

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                        The XMas Card List manager tool was down until last night.
                        Considering it's late January, that sounds like something that's appropriate to leave until everything else is fixed.

This problem was one of the known issues. It should now be fixed properly. Turns out that the site was using a feature that was only available in FF3.6 and up. I've implemented a very small change that worked for me when I just tried it with Firefox 3.5.
                        Just tried going in to the top-level page (do most of my access from the "board" page), and the "must highlight to see the thread" issue is fixed. Thanks.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X